Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Expedition-Africa

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Expedition-Africa

Anyone watch this yet? The show opens on May 31st, but if you have On-Demand, you can watch it early.

http://www.history.com/expedition/episode-1/

Seems pretty cool, they have a navigator, a survivalist, a wildlife expert and a journalist.

Reading the Bio's on each of these guys, they are all highly qualified.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 05-28-09 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-28-09, 12:40 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Expedition-Africa

I have this set to record Sunday with Ice Road Truckers. Looks good.
Old 05-28-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mok
I have this set to record Sunday with Ice Road Truckers. Looks good.
If you have comcast on demand, you can actually watch it right now.
Old 05-28-09, 02:45 PM
Mok

nah I have cablevision in NY.
Old 05-28-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

This does look good. I have the DVR set for it. I'll have to check and see if Charter On-Demand has it up yet.
Old 05-29-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A good write up by the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ar...er=rss&emc=rss

May 24, 2009
Exploring Africa to Find Riches in Ratings
By BILL CARTER
“DR. Livingstone, I presume.”

It is one of those inescapable phrases that everyone seems to know, though just how remains a mystery. It is also the only connection most Americans have with David Livingstone, the subject of the phrase, and Henry Morton Stanley, the man who (reportedly) said it.

So finding these two men at the center of an expensive hybrid television series — part history documentary, part reality show — may be something of a surprise, until the concept of the show is tied to Mark Burnett, the television producer most closely connected to adventure programs in exotic locales. “Expedition Africa: Stanley and Livingstone,” an eight-part series starting May 31 on the History Channel, is Mr. Burnett’s latest foray into the wilderness. The series sends a team of high-energy, frequently fractious, quasi-professional explorers on a trip to recreate Stanley’s 1871 journey to find Livingstone, the lost titan of African exploration.

The program is a change of pace for the History Channel, where the programming has tended toward World War II documentaries and, more recently, reality fare like “Ice Road Truckers.” The goal was to “find a more active and entertaining storytelling style,” said Nancy Dubuc, the general manager of the network.

She approached Mr. Burnett with the idea of an exploration series. He started in television producing “Eco-Challenge,” essentially a race through rugged, uncivilized territory, then hit the jackpot with “Survivor,” which puts ordinary people at the mercy of the environment (and their own egos). The original expedition notion leaned toward Lewis and Clark, but Ms. Dubuc and Mr. Burnett quickly realized the terrain of the American Northwest had changed far too much since those two men’s journey more than 200 years ago.

But Africa, they thought, might fit the bill. Mr. Burnett, who grew up in England, was familiar with Livingstone (he is routinely taught in school there) and his expedition to find the source of the Nile.

In a telephone interview Mr. Burnett said he visited the Royal Geographical Society, where he is a member, and “I went to Westminster Abbey and spent time alone with Livingstone’s tomb.” He even rewatched films like “Out of Africa” and “King Solomon’s Mines” to “get the fabric of the lensing we could do on the show,” with wide-vista shots and gauzy cinematography. He sent a team to do what he called his “truth-on-the-ground survey.” It found that the trip through Tanzania from Zanzibar to the village of Ujiji (where Stanley ultimately found Livingstone) would be scenic, testing and probably dangerous. “Until you’ve walked it, you don’t know,” Mr. Burnett said.

He went casting for experienced adventure seekers and scientists, people who would be in it for the challenge and the experience. Novices didn’t need to apply; the journey would be much too difficult for them, Mr. Burnett said.

The group of four he assembled included Benedict Allen, an author and filmmaker who had twice been left to die in the Amazon jungle; Kevin Sites, an author and former war correspondent for CNN who had once been captured by the Fedayeen in Iraq; Pasquale Scaturro, a geophysicist and expedition leader who once led a group of blind climbers up Mount Everest; and Mireya Mayor, who has a doctorate in anthropology, was a Fulbright scholar and discovered a new species of mouse lemur.

Of course the group does not exactly resemble the high school science club; this is reality television show after all. Mr. Allen looks right out of central casting for the safari leader. Ms. Mayor jumped into anthropology after working as a cheerleader for the Miami Dolphins.

“I gave up my pompons and walked off to go to Guyana,” Ms. Mayor said. “The other cheerleaders said, ‘You’re going to leave all this and chase monkeys without hot showers and hair dryers?’ ”

But, she said, exploring was simply in her and her comrades’ blood. They felt a pull to retrace Stanley’s steps. Of course Mr. Burnett picked them for another reason. He needed conflict. “Four Type A people all trying to lead is a recipe for disaster,” Ms. Mayor said.

The idea was to duplicate Stanley’s conditions as closely as possible, so a harrowing trip from Zanzibar to the mainland was made in a 19th-century vintage boat, and no modern conveniences were allowed.

That meant no bottled water, and the greatest difficulty the expedition came to face did not involve the prevalent lions, snakes or bugs, but nearly nonexistent potable water. This led to what Mr. Burnett described — in oblique terms — as a true life-threatening event. “We had a real case of malaria,” he said.

Could it really be all that tough when constantly accompanied by camera crews? Mr. Burnett said the rule on all his shows is that the crews say and do nothing to help. Ms. Mayor and Mr. Scaturro said the lack of interaction soon caused them to forget the crews were even there. “We called them the Others,” Ms. Mayor said,

So how closely did the expedition duplicate Stanley’s journey? The show’s team takes 30 days to travel a distance it took Stanley 16 months to traverse. And with roads and villages having sprung up near the route, the trip took many detours.

“At times we were pretty close to his exact route,” Mr. Scaturro said. “Other times we would veer off. We would do figure 8’s around things.”

In the end, despite the feuds and the jockeying for power, the journey brought the group together, Ms. Mayor said. “In a heartbeat I would do it again.”

That is very much what the channel and Mr. Burnett would like to see happen. If the show pulls an audience, he is ready to gather the same gang of four and send it on another adventure. He mentioned a few possibilities: retracing Marco Polo’s trip to Asia or journeying the paths of Genghis Khan through Mongolia or Pizarro through Peru.

“I’m ready to start again today,” Mr. Burnett said.
So watch up! I would love to see further expeditions, Marco polo would be fantastic. And as I am reading Undaunted Courage by Stephan Ambrose, the Lewis and Clark would have been fantastic as well.
Old 06-01-09, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone watch this?

I like how they got a bunch of headstrong personalities, wondering how this is going to all shake out. The expedition looked like a good trek
Old 06-01-09, 07:04 PM
Mok

I watched it and liked what I saw. I think this has makings of a interesting show. Pasquale as the navigator spells trouble, I like Mireya she seems pretty cool.
Old 06-01-09, 08:27 PM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts

Do they get to abuse and drive to death natives?

I will watch though, it looks decent.
Old 06-01-09, 10:24 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We watched the 1st episode on demand on Saturday night. It's pretty good, not great, but good enough to keep watching.
Old 06-01-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I worked on this show so I'm glad to hear the positive reviews! Finally I do a show someone enjoys. Thanks guys.
Old 06-01-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I worked on this show so I'm glad to hear the positive reviews! Finally I do a show someone enjoys. Thanks guys.
what other shows have you worked on?
Old 06-01-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
what other shows have you worked on?
The Baby Borrowers, 13 - Fear is Real, Rock Band Battle..

Yeah, I take no offense if you haven't heard of them.
Old 06-02-09, 11:07 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What kind of role did you have? As I was watching I kept wondering how the camera and sound crew were getting through all the muck they were hiking through. I've got to imagine there was a whole army of people supporting the filming of the expedition that was on the move too, yet we never see.
Old 06-02-09, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Baby Borrowers, 13 - Fear is Real, Rock Band Battle..

Yeah, I take no offense if you haven't heard of them.

My wife and I loved the Baby Borrowers. What did you do on that show?
Old 06-02-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am curious as well.
Old 06-02-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Im guessing you edited the promos?

I like the show. Better than Survivor and all that crap. This feels like it has a purpose. I like that they have a convoy carrying all their shit while they just have their backpacks It
Old 06-03-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My job isn't all that flashy, honestly. I work in post production so I'm not in the field much.

But yes the ccamera crew and producers all got down and dirty with the Expedition team.
Old 06-04-09, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the idea of the show, but those 4 have no personality and don't get me interested in the show at all. I'll keep watching though, give it a few more episodes.
Old 06-22-09, 06:50 PM

Is Mireya hot? I'm afraid she's a bit of a butterface...but she's not that bad...
Old 06-23-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It's pretty funny watching four people on a nature hike who all think every thought they utter is humankind's most important achievement to date, and then they are astonished when it is not immediately accepted on face that it is. "We covered nearly seven miles today, with a mere 20 porters to carry all of our belongings for us. Our survival was a feat of sheer will. Look! A snake in Africa! Everyone cease what they are doing immediately and be amazed at my magnificence. Now get in the car so our driver can take us to the hotel."

At least the scenery is nice to look at (good production values), and there is a lot of unintentional humor.
Old 06-23-09, 06:30 PM

I liked the idea for the show, but stopped watching after the first episode. The reason I stopped is that the main adventurers are all so full of themselves. Their egos are just too annoying to watch. I much rathered the Out Of the Wild: Alaska show. Now that was entertaining and not just a group of jerks. If they picked better people for Expedition Africa, I'd be interested in seeing it.