TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life After People

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 10:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Life After People

Anyone watching? Pretty cool show on the History Channel, showing would would happen to the world if people just vanished. They start out 1 day after people disappear, and usually go to about 10,000 years after people.
Old 05-17-09, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Life After People

I've had it on my DVR for awhile. Haven't gotten around to it. I thought it was just one episode. Is it more? I have two hours of the first episode. I thought it was just one episode.
Old 05-17-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yes, it's an ok idea. However 1) the themes that are the titles of the epsidoes are not explored that well and 2) It is the SAME thing EVERY WEEK. They just focus on different buildings, but in the end it's just a fancy way to show computer simulations of buildings falling apart.

OK series, but just another thing on the History Channel THAT'S NOT HISTORY.
Old 05-17-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
yes, it's an ok idea. However 1) the themes that are the titles of the epsidoes are not explored that well and 2) It is the SAME thing EVERY WEEK. They just focus on different buildings, but in the end it's just a fancy way to show computer simulations of buildings falling apart.
Exactly my thoughts about this show as well.
Old 05-17-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Future history?

Yeah, I think 'after people' pretty much just means 'stuff falls down and dies'. Now, the people AFTER the people, or the few people who are left when *most* are gone, that could be worth watching.
Old 05-17-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can watch the entire original hour and a half special of Life After People on YouTube.
Old 05-18-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I don't quite understand the point of the series, either. It really *is* the same thing over and over again.

Being from Atlanta originally, I was pretty damn excited to read the preview of the last episode in the guide on my cable box. It was something like: "the future of Chicago, London and Atlanta". Only they spent 40 minutes talking about Chicago, 15 minutes talking about London, and 5 WHOLE MINUTES talking about Atlanta. I was disappointed!

It was kinda cool that the thing they said would last the longest out of those three cities were the carvings of the Confederate leaders on Stone Mountain. They said it would still be there after 5,000 years or something, which is really cool... not in the "a symbol of white power to last for the ages" sense, but in the "Hey, I've been there at least a thousand times!" sense. It was neat that the one place that will survive is the same place we ate at every Sunday after church, the place where our church group\scout troop went on field trips to, and where we used to take dates to the laser show to. That sort of thing.
Old 05-18-09, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

My wife is a huge fan of this show. She's constantly telling me about what will happen to various buildings when we're all dead (typically, it's some variation of "it will collapse a lot sooner than you would think it would.")
Old 05-18-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Already saw the 2 hour stand alone, don't think this would offer anything new.
Old 05-18-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that it is basically the same thing over and over. I can't see them stretching it out over that many episodes. Don't see why they show 1 day after since nothing has changed. Might as well start the day the power goes out and stuff does start to change.

Of course the whole series is not valid since in order for those events tp happen, people would just have to vanish in 1 day. No survivors, nothing destroyed, animals are fine, just poof...gone.
Old 05-19-09, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing surprising here. If you have seen I AM LEGEND, you have a good idea as to what to expect. i.e. animals repopulate, vegetation takes over, etc.

What the History Channel should do is center one episode on Walt Disney World, and how it turns back into a swamp. They can present a scene with the Jungle Cruise, and can have a real crocodile charging its way through the animatronic ones and the narrator can go "Walt Disney always strove for realism, and it can't get any more real than this!"
Old 05-19-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Of course the whole series is not valid since in order for those events tp happen, people would just have to vanish in 1 day. No survivors, nothing destroyed, animals are fine, just poof...gone.
That's what has always bugged me about the show. Why pick the least likely (i.e. impossible) scenario to give us?

I think a better idea would be to do shows covering the Earth after several different (more likely) scenarios. They could do multi-part episodes covering Life After Global Disease, Life After Asteroid Strike, Life After Nuclear Holocaust, etc. At least then they would have a little take on how things unfold.
Old 05-19-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Nothing surprising here. If you have seen I AM LEGEND, you have a good idea as to what to expect. i.e. animals repopulate, vegetation takes over, etc.

What the History Channel should do is center one episode on Walt Disney World, and how it turns back into a swamp. They can present a scene with the Jungle Cruise, and can have a real crocodile charging its way through the animatronic ones and the narrator can go "Walt Disney always strove for realism, and it can't get any more real than this!"
Dude, that cracked me up!

I have for reasons unknown loved the show since the two hour special last year. I have a real issue with the show in that they don't address the consequences of six billion rotting corpses.

I mean the odds of all humans disappearing are slim to none without an extinction level event (astroid hits earth) occuring. Even with a massive outbreak there will potentially be a small percentage of humans who will be immune. The scenarios in the show can only occur if there isn't a nuclear war. So basically we are left with some sort of crazy weapon that ONLY kills humans but leaves the infrastructure intact.
Old 05-19-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Funny I saw this thread...I was subbing for another teacher in my building and he left the premiere movie for the kids to watch this morning. Pretty interesting, but I can't imagine it as a series.

Also, I believe the point of the show is that when The Rapture (TM) happens, God will take EVERYBODY (and, apparently, sort 'em out later) and leave pets behind. So it's time to tell my daughters there is no doggie heaven.
Old 05-19-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A better series would be if all the liberal/conservative/chrstian/jew...... or whoever would be gone. One group at a time and how things would change. Be more political then biological though.
Old 05-19-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Already saw the 2 hour stand alone, don't think this would offer anything new.
So did I and maybe I'm going nuts but wasn't that called Population: Zero or something to that effect? And wasn't it shown on the National Geographic Channel? Is this show a continuation of that or just a rip off?
Old 05-19-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
So did I and maybe I'm going nuts but wasn't that called Population: Zero or something to that effect? And wasn't it shown on the National Geographic Channel? Is this show a continuation of that or just a rip off?
There were two different specials that ran about the same time. One went long, talking about how different things would be 1,000, 10,000 and 100,000 years later. I think that was the Nat Geo one you mentioned.

The weekly show is kinda interesting when they visit abandoned sites, but overall it's pretty repetitive.
Old 05-20-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
but in the end it's just a fancy way to show computer simulations of buildings falling apart.
And this is a bad thing?
Old 05-20-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan
And this is a bad thing?
I was just going to post that the same thing could be said for a lot of what comes out of Hollyweird.

I like the show, and it's one I can watch with my kids who also enjoy it.
Old 05-20-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
typically, it's some variation of "it will collapse a lot sooner than you would think it would."
This.

Made me laugh for 5 mins. What a way to sum up this series. Gratz!