DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Office -- "Cafe Disco" -- 5/7/09 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/554635-office-cafe-disco-5-7-09-a.html)

Deadman31 05-08-09 10:53 AM

Re: The Office -- "Cafe Disco" -- 5/7/09

Man, I so need to get a job at this stupid company. :)

solipsta 05-08-09 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 9432542)
That new receptionist is pretty cute. She seems familiar though, but maybe it's because she sort of looks like the actress who played the blind girl Kenneth liked in that episode of 30 Rock a while back, except she is a brunette and not a red head. Yes, I'm too lazy to check all of this on imdb right now.

She looks like that girl from a youtube video where she's talking about giving dry blowjobs. I can't look for it right now, but that could be where she's from. I think it was done by a comedy team, so it could be her.

Yavin 05-08-09 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by solipsta (Post 9432632)
She looks like that girl from a youtube video where she's talking about giving dry blowjobs. I can't look for it right now, but that could be where she's from. I think it was done by a comedy team, so it could be her.

I think you're right. I just un-lazied myself enough to look her up on imdb and there is a message board post mentioning something like this on her page. I'm not going to go into that thread at work though ...

Googling her "Ellie Kemper" shows that she is an active improv comedian.

Sex Fiend 05-08-09 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 9432210)
Didn't care much for this one. A little too weird for my tastes. Still had some moments but the Phyllis thing was REALLY stupid (feeding her carrots like a horse? Really??) and the disco wasn't funny enough to counteract that. I liked Pam and Jim's stuff but the rest of it was pretty poor.

Weakest episode of the season, by far. Which is a shame because they were on a real roll.

Yeah, I'm totally agreeing with Draven on this one. The whole episode seemed to really have no point, as if they needed to come up with one more show to fill out the season, and this was the best they could do on short notice. Even the little subplot with Jim and Pam seemed forced and inconsequential.

I think it was a pretty weak episode for what has been a good season. It reminded me a lot of Season 4, where there were several episodes filled with similarly contrived quirkiness, and plots that went nowhere.

maxpower 05-08-09 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 9432566)
I'm pretty sure his comment was about inviting a friend to work while at work.

Although it seems like a throwaway comment...I can see it as a nugget which can give the writers a future plot point. Any character could have said it but with Oscar saying it..and(maybe i'm re-imagining it) didn't the receptionist hold her friend's hand as she pulled her into the room?

Though it may be reading into it too much, it is not that far fetched.

Spicollidriver1 05-08-09 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend (Post 9432662)
Yeah, I'm totally agreeing with Draven on this one. The whole episode seemed to really have no point, as if they needed to come up with one more show to fill out the season, and this was the best they could do on short notice. Even the little subplot with Jim and Pam seemed forced and inconsequential.

I think it was a pretty weak episode for what has been a good season. It reminded me a lot of Season 4, where there were several episodes filled with similarly contrived quirkiness, and plots that went nowhere.

I am glad that I am not the only that thought this episode was pretty bad, and seemed very pointless.

Draven 05-08-09 11:51 AM

My tastes with regards to The Office are very similar to M.Giant's over at TelevisionWithoutPity and he called it the worst episode ever, so I'm glad I'm not alone too :)

andicus 05-08-09 12:16 PM

Yes. I posted the video in regard to her in the previous Office episode thread. I guess no one peeked with the NSFW button...

Snowmaker 05-08-09 12:31 PM

I see she is in a few videos at funnyordie.com.

cungar 05-08-09 01:05 PM

First episode I've ever turned off halfway through. Embarassingly bad.

Slumbering Fist 05-08-09 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 9432542)
That new receptionist is pretty cute. She seems familiar though, but maybe it's because she sort of looks like the actress who played the blind girl Kenneth liked in that episode of 30 Rock a while back, except she is a brunette and not a red head. Yes, I'm too lazy to check all of this on imdb right now.

Yeah, the girl you are thinking about from 30 Rock was a different actress, the girl who played Tammy "Copperhead" Littlenut on Strangers With Candy.

Flave 05-08-09 01:17 PM

Obviously NSFW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hm7pp_JFOs

cdollaz 05-08-09 01:34 PM

That video is stupid and not funny at all.

jeffkjoe 05-08-09 01:34 PM

This episode was not that funny.
A disappointment.

Jack Straw 05-08-09 02:11 PM

Chalk me up for "loved it". Loved all the dancing by Michael and the 'Nard-dog. Also thought that Dwight was in rare form telling Bob Vance when asking to "steal" his wife for a dance that he cannot steal what is legally his property.

spainlinx0 05-08-09 02:20 PM

Why does every episode have to have a point?

cdollaz 05-08-09 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9432999)

I'm not sure. It's a comedy. Did every (or any) Seinfeld episode have a point.

kstublen 05-08-09 02:26 PM

Exactly. This was just a fun episode and people aren't willing to enjoy it for what it was.

Draven 05-08-09 02:29 PM

I would settle for "funny" and/or "interesting". This episode was neither to me. So basically, it was a waste to watch, and that is very unusual for me and The Office.

spainlinx0 05-08-09 02:31 PM

Eh, I thought it was a nice little break. I also liked the back and forth with Jim and Pam about how to have their wedding.

spainlinx0 05-08-09 02:32 PM

Dwight's prank was also amazingly hilarious, especially his psycho laugh.

cdollaz 05-08-09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 9433019)
I would settle for "funny" and/or "interesting". This episode was neither to me. So basically, it was a waste to watch, and that is very unusual for me and The Office.

Fair enough. There are some episodes that many people find funny that don't work for me. And characters, too. I know a lot of people think Stanley is very funny, but I rarely laugh at his lines.

cdollaz 05-08-09 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9433028)
Dwight's prank was also amazingly hilarious, especially his psycho laugh.

Which prank? The only thing I remember is the part at the beginning.

Damfino 05-08-09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 9433032)
Which prank? The only thing I remember is the part at the beginning.

That was it. he bribed Lynn to say she won an art contest to make Pam jealous.

cdollaz 05-08-09 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino (Post 9433065)
That was it. he bribed Lynn to say she won an art contest to make Pam jealous.

Dwight needs to leave pranks to those who can come up with good ideas, and then plan and execute them well. Of course, his ineptness made it a really funny scene.

Nausicaa 05-08-09 03:05 PM

I loved this episode because I connected with a lot of the jokes. I know dorky middle aged men who would play that crappy "Everybody Dance, Now" song and think it's hip. I know self-important college kids who dance-off at parties, and Kelly and the new receptionist crack me up. Not to mention Michael's botched text to Dwight about Phyllis:

"Michael, who's Phillip?"

"Oh my god, Phyllis, did Phillip push you over?!"

It was also good finally having an episode not bogged down in narrative exposition. It reminded me of season 2, when there seemed to be less conflict and more fun.

The Pam and Jim thing was the only strike out for me. It was completely unnecessary to tease with their marriage.

Spicollidriver1 05-08-09 03:13 PM

I think I might be in the minority but I am getting really tired of Micheal and enjoy the show more when I barely see him at all. Like when he is the catalyst for something and the office handles it. An episode I loved but didn't neccesarily match this was office olympics I could of fast forwarded through the micheal parts and still enjoyed it very much.

cdollaz 05-08-09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1 (Post 9433111)
I think I might be in the minority but I am getting really tired of Micheal and enjoy the show more when I barely see him at all.

I'm the same way. There can definitely be too much Michael, especially when he is being a dick.

spainlinx0 05-08-09 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 9433067)
Dwight needs to leave pranks to those who can come up with good ideas, and then plan and execute them well. Of course, his ineptness made it a really funny scene.

I thought it was a good prank, even if he did pay her two seconds into it. Pam definitely got agitated.

cdollaz 05-08-09 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 9433126)
I thought it was a good prank, even if he did pay her two seconds into it. Pam definitely got agitated.

For me, a good prank is one that pisses someone off at first, but that they appreciate and laugh at a few minutes later. Also, it would be one that outside observers would think is funny. Dwight was just being a jerk and I doubt anyone else in the office would think it is funny.

whoopdido 05-08-09 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 9432545)
Last week's My Name Is Earl flat-out explained why they made a filler episode. It was a nice capper to explain the waste of time.

This episode of The Office was terrible. Absolutely nothing happened.

I think the Office is better when "nothing happens". That's how the Office used to be when I really enjoyed it. I mean go back and watch episodes from the first 2 seasons, which in my opinion are the best and "nothing happens" in those either. I mean at the end of the last episode of season 2 Pam and Jim kiss, so that was somthing, but other than that usually ever episode was sort of it's own little thing. It's only been in last year or so that there have been storylines (Dwight/Angela/Andy, Michael/Jan, Jim/Pam, Michael Scott Paper Company/ new boss, etc) I liked it a lot better when there weren't continuing storylines and nothing happend in each episode.

bluetoast 05-08-09 04:36 PM

I also love how the tub of Utz is still in the Cafe Disco.

JoeyOhhhh 05-08-09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maxpower (Post 9432692)
Although it seems like a throwaway comment...I can see it as a nugget which can give the writers a future plot point. Any character could have said it but with Oscar saying it..and(maybe i'm re-imagining it) didn't the receptionist hold her friend's hand as she pulled her into the room?

Though it may be reading into it too much, it is not that far fetched.

I thought the same thing.

I loved the asshole prank Dwight pulled in the beginning, it was just outright hurtfull and not executed well at all.

Cardiff Giant11 05-08-09 05:43 PM

I liked how Erin the new receptionist had her birth certificate in her purse for some reason, I also love Creed's line about the disco ball

Quack 05-08-09 06:08 PM

The chick that showed up during the cafe disco that hugged the receptionist....I think it was Elisha Cuthbert.

NiCK Crush 05-08-09 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 9433433)
The chick that showed up during the cafe disco that hugged the receptionist....I think it was Elisha Cuthbert.

hmm, ill have to take another look.

also, love the av.

bunnydojo 05-08-09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 9433433)

She was only shown briefly, but I'd say it's just a generic good-looking girl. :)
http://www.bunnydojo.com/MJ/office.jpg

Oscar's comment was, "You invited a friend? I've been here eight years and I never..." (delivered in a way that implies either he's never invited a friend or that the thought never entered his mind). I think reading anything into Oscar saying it or the girl grabbing the other girl's hand to bring her into the party is a bit much... that's what a girl would do in the situation, and Oscar is probably the best one to deliver that line (Michael would invite a friend, Jim wouldn't be talking to her, Stanley was asleep, Kevin is Kevin, etc.).

After some of the more 'harsh' Elba moments (especially with Jim), it was nice to see them go the fun route, even if it's just filler. And I agree with the poster above who really got a kick out of Angela just walking straight under the limbo stick. :D

Quack 05-08-09 07:05 PM

If I was in charge? This place would be like Dave and Busters.

neale 05-08-09 10:19 PM

Enjoyed Michael's line:
"I can't MAKE you go down, but I can entice you."

Reminded me of "I tented my pants" from the Surviorman episode.

EdTheRipper 05-08-09 10:39 PM

Fun episode...I enjoyed it.