DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

Title:
Spoiler:
They Both Went Bananas

Episode Description:

Spoiler:
Coach scrambles to stay in the game following Tyson's surprising exit and tries to curry favor with Sierra, after targeting her in the previous tribal council.
Old 04-30-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/30/09

I'm actually surprised by how Steven and JT voted tonight, as I thought they'd go the other way. Looks like Erinn tried to show a little loyalty.
Old 04-30-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loyalty to who?

I am totally confused by the votes tonight. It seems that JT & Stephen went with Coach/Debbie to make them feel secure, but not sure why they didn't let Taj in on their plan? Also, Erinn's vote - what did it say at the bottom? Could anyone read it?
Old 04-30-09, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Loyalty to who?

I am totally confused by the votes tonight. It seems that JT & Stephen went with Coach/Debbie to make them feel secure, but not sure why they didn't let Taj in on their plan? Also, Erinn's vote - what did it say at the bottom? Could anyone read it?
I think it was something to the effect of Never Again...i.e. she was really pissed over being sent to exile.
Old 04-30-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Erinn's vote said something like "Never again, swear".

So now, Taj is on the outs. Weird voting.
Old 04-30-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Erin voted for Stephen because she swore to Sierra she wouldn't vote against her. She rightly figured Stephen was safe.

I'd have rather seen Debbie go, but I guess Sierra was too much of a wild card. I think Sierra may have hurt her cause by calling out Debbie and Coach on their lie.
Old 04-30-09, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Finisher
Erin voted for Stephen because she swore to Sierra she wouldn't vote against her. She rightly figured Stephen was safe.

I'd have rather seen Debbie go, but I guess Sierra was too much of a wild card. I think Sierra may have hurt her cause by calling out Debbie and Coach on their lie.
I was wondering if that might be the case. How long ago was that?

Very strange voting tonight with Taj not seeming in on it.

Now that we're getting down to it, does anyone know how ties are broken this season?
Old 04-30-09, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I would say that it is more likely that Taj just didn't want to vote for Sierra. We saw Erinn promise Sierra that she wouldn't vote for her, thus her vote for Stephen.

Plus, it presents that there is discord in the alliance when there really isn't any (unless Stephen freaks out over the stray vote). I'm sure Coach and Debbie like that they were among the only four to vote out Sierra. Given how delusional they were that their alliance was still good that probably made them feel even better.

The reunited Timbira alliance would have been a good idea, even for Erinn, but there wasn't anyone left in the game with the combination of leadership and intelligence to put that together.
Old 04-30-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a stupid move. They should have took out Debbie while they got the chance. It seem like everyone hate Sierra and Coach so much, they are the best to take to the final.
Old 04-30-09, 10:25 PM

I'm pretty sure Taj and Erinn were both in on that. I also think it was a brilliant move. Long term, it doesn't matter much, but short term it was pretty clever.
Old 04-30-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The reunited Timbira alliance would have been a good idea, even for Erinn, but there wasn't anyone left in the game with the combination of leadership and intelligence to put that together.
That's what's bumming me out about this season. There have been no real power moves since the one power shift back to JT and Stephen.

Coach is insane, Debbie has no patience unless she's doing the talking, but where is the rest of the group who doesn't see JT and Stephen making a bee-line to the end?

There are other possiblities, but what is Erin waiting for? Unless something is super secret she would have to win her way to the end. She could have been the one who got her tribe back together or, at least, show some sign or playing the game. It seem like they're waiting to the last moment to make a move, but it seems risky with both JT and Stephen left.

It better happen soon that people stop coasting. This would have been a perfect time for a total switch in power and getting out the most dangerous player in the game (imho...JT) and no one even thought about it. And worse, Coach truly was more of the wild card than Sierra, because if he wasn't so friggin' stupid, the game could have been flipped tonight. His stupid loyalty to JT was probably the biggest factor in there being little chance for that group coming back together.

If I was Erin, I sure would like my chances with Coach, Debbie, and Sierra than with the other 3. We all saw Coach and Debbie lie, which is part of the game so no big deal (although Coach really takes it to a whole new level), but it really wouldn't have mattered if Sierra had played sweet and nice. Coach is too in love with JT to ever sincerely entertain the idea of breaking up the alliance that exists only in his mind.

I'm not sure I've ever felt worse for a player. Love her or not, Sierra got much more hate than she deserved and no credit at all for being a fairly good competitor. The comment from Debbie about not taking "this" because she's a late 40's principal and Sierra was just 23 made me want to vomit. If Debbie wanted to show off her greater maturity, she could have LED and made a sincere effort to get her tribe back together and not just flip out like she did. She may still advance or even win, but the best move tonight would have been a reunion of Timbira. A really strong player would have left and if Timbira held on, those 4 were pretty even compared to having JT and Stephen to beat out.

I don't even understand Erin's sympathy vote for Sierra since she's seemed to be just as happy to pile it on her unfairly too. Weird vote, weird choices, and weird season.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-30-09 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-30-09, 10:41 PM

Totally agree with you there dolphinboy. Reuniting Timbira would have been a great move for all of them, so I don't get why Sierra wasn't more receptive to Coach and Debbie to do so. She knew she was going to be the next to go, so why not hook up with Coach and Debbie and convince Erinn to switch and as for Erinn a move like that I think would have almost guarnteed her a spot in the final three if she would have. JT is totally dangerous, like a dragon. The Dragonslayer should have slayed him like he did the other one.
Old 04-30-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
Totally agree with you there dolphinboy. Reuniting Timbira would have been a great move for all of them, so I don't get why Sierra wasn't more receptive to Coach and Debbie to do so. She knew she was going to be the next to go, so why not hook up with Coach and Debbie and convince Erinn to switch and as for Erinn a move like that I think would have almost guarnteed her a spot in the final three if she would have. JT is totally dangerous, like a dragon. The Dragonslayer should have slayed him like he did the other one.
Not that I don't agree about Sierra, but I think the only 2 people that had any chance of making it work (and it was slim because of Coach being in love with JT's eyes and accent) would have been Erinn or Debbie.

Sierra had been beaten too far down and was just not in a place to think right unless she had been coddled or, at least, approached in a differrent manner than she was. Again, maybe Erinn or Debbie make a move later and it works, but going off of things as they happened, I'm disappointed that Debbie and Erinn did nothing at a time when they could have literally taken back control of the game. Possibly to the end while removing a very strong threat (JT or Stephen) to win it all.

Not that anyone else stepped up either. This is the stage where you have to know that there are multiple deals out there and too many people are acting passive.

It still may work, but Stephen and JT still remain the biggest threats in almost ever aspect of the game and even if they turn on each other, it may be too late for others who might be voted out before that happens. And no one made a power move...I really believe if anyone had even been talking about it, they would have at least used some footage to tease us.

That's why you take your shot when you have one and there certainly seemed to be a big opening for a several players tonight and it ended up with, in my opinion, a routine night at tribal.
Old 05-01-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by monkyskunk
Based on what we saw I don't think Sierra was necessarily opposed to the idea of it. It just needed to be presented better. Debbie and Ben were basically trying to shame her into it. I think she had had enough of being shamed. When she pointed out (quite correctly I might add) that it was only Debbie and Ben in their alliance, Debbie flipped out and that was the end of that.

Absent Tyson or Brendan any Timbira alliance was pretty much doomed. Ben is so self delusional that any idea of an alliance would have to be framed to him so he would think it was his idea. Sierra, bless her heart, is not capable of pulling something like that off. Debbie maybe could with Coach, but we saw tonight how awful her presentation was to Sierra. Erinn just didn't have the connection to those people to even attempt it. If she had tried I could easily see Debbie or Ben letting JT know.
Old 05-01-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Obviously they edit the footage, but Does Stephan have a shot vs. JT or Taj? Maybe Taj (I personally don't think so, but what do i know), but no chance with JT. So why isn't he making some sort of move? His only real shot is with Coach or Debbie. He can't wait too long to do something to get JT out.

Again, editing, but I really think the way they treated Sierra is just disrespectful I was raised to not treat women like that, no matter how dumb or worthless they are. And I don't even think she's that dumb or worthless. She was right the entire episode, yet everyone was railing on her. Coach is a classless pathological liar. I hope to god they call him out at the reunion and I hope Sierra stands up for herself that she was the one telling the truth.

I think Erinn wins this thing. She's dead center between these 2 group and will go either way. And, it doesn't seem like she's really pissed anyone off and has kept her word (not voting for sierra). I guess we'll see.
Old 05-01-09, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm not sure I've ever seen a cast member get treated as poorly as I did this season with Sierra... she really did NOTHING wrong. Granted, I havent seen all the seasons, but damn.
Old 05-01-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate Debbie so much! Gets called out on her lie and she plays the crying victim. PLEASE!! She acts like she is "above" even arguing with Sierra just because Sierra is younger. Give me a break. Truth hurts, Deb. Now next week...

Spoiler:
Deb talks about getting rid of Coach.

I despise passive-aggressive people like Deb who plot and scheme while all the time wanting everyone to love them and never say a cross word to them. And immediately when someone confronts them, they act all innocent and turn on the tears. But while Deb was "in power" she sure was up on her high horse and condescending. Jeez.
Old 05-01-09, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher

And beyond that, I think it could turn out to be a smart vote....if she can get to the final. She avoided voting someone off by not voting for Sierra or Debbie. That can help earn you a vote in the final.

I'll be curious to see Stephen's reaction to it. He didn't look too happy.

I think getting rid of Sierra over Debbie was the prudent move - Sierra is unpredictable and could be a major threat if you get one of those standing/balancing challenges.

The reward challenge was hilarious - basically Sierra was the answer to almost every negative question.

If the women, particularly Taj and Erinn, are smart (assuming Taj has possession of her Idol), they align with Coach because right now, TJ or Stephen seems like a lock to win.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-01-09 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-01-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think if CBS wasn't so interested in editing in "character development" or twists, last night's episode might have made more sense in terms of who did what and how people reacted.

I still have no idea why so much hatred was thrown Sierra's way. Maybe it will come out during the reunion show.
Old 05-01-09, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Obviously they edit the footage, but Does Stephan have a shot vs. JT or Taj? Maybe Taj (I personally don't think so, but what do i know), but no chance with JT. So why isn't he making some sort of move? His only real shot is with Coach or Debbie. He can't wait too long to do something to get JT out.

I think Erinn wins this thing. She's dead center between these 2 group and will go either way. And, it doesn't seem like she's really pissed anyone off and has kept her word (not voting for sierra). I guess we'll see.
I feel like he plans on staying true to Taj and taking her with him. He could beat Erinn too though. She was on the outs with Timbira (save Sierra) so much.

I had to laugh at Coach after he won immunity, I think it was to JT, 'did you see when I said "Dragonslayer!"?' He was like a 5 year old going to daddy for approval.
Old 05-01-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

I told my wife last night that there must be a ton of footage on the cutting room floor that explains why so many tribe members hated Sierra. It was there from the start and went all the way thru her departure. I know they can't show us everything in just an hour a week but it does seem odd that no viewer really understands why all the hatred went to Sierra.

I really would be blown away if Stephen and JT turn against one another. It seems like they have a terrific bond and may actually want to go to the final two together no matter what.

I personally thought Debbie should have gone last night.

JT was my favorite from the start (he grew up in Samson, AL which is a little down down the road from where I went to high school) so I was always pulling for him. But Stephen has really impressed me the longer the season has gone on. He has shown to be tough and shrewd...just not so great at challenges.
Old 05-01-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd

I really would be blown away if Stephen and JT turn against one another. It seems like they have a terrific bond and may actually want to go to the final two together no matter what.
Stephan can't win against JT. Its a fact. And if it got down to like Stephan, Erin and JT, and Stephan wins immunity and takes Erin, does JT get mad? If he does, then he's not really a friend. If I was playing survivor with my best friend whom i've known for 30 years, and it was down to him, myself and anotehr person, and I know i could beat the other person and not my friend, i'd get rid of my friend. And I would fully expect him to do the same thing. Doesn't mean I'm an a-hole. I'm playing the game to win it. You don't play football with your friends and let them score every time. Most of the fun in games/sports is beating your friends for bragging rights.

I have a feeling stephan will get rid of JT at some point. JT doesn't have to, he's a guaranteed win against anyone on the show.
Old 05-01-09, 10:20 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the problem with Sierra comes from the very first day. Getting booted by her tribe and then not getting to take part in the hike with them to camp is something she was never able to recover from. She just seemed depressed the whole game, and that negative energy - combined with the fact she is rather reserved socially - made her an outsider to her tribemates (other than Brandon) for the rest of the game.
Old 05-01-09, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff's blog:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...robst-blo.html

Finally...I will miss Sierra. I'm sure she earned most of the grief people gave her, but I still found her to be a bit of an underdog. That's just how I roll. She certainly made the show interesting. I'm not sure if she's a hero or a villain but she was definitely memorable. Goodnight, Sierra-Moto.
I really want to know what she really did that annoys everyone. Just like Sugar from last season. The editing did not show why the amount of hates for these 2 girls.
Old 05-01-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Stephan can't win against JT. Its a fact.
Yep, Stephen is in great shape against anyone except JT, whom he can't beat. If Stephen is in the final 4 and JT doesn't win immunity, I would expect him to get the other 2 to vote off JT.

Also, are they going to have a F2 or F3 this season? There were 2 on the jury with 7 left last night so 9 total. If they have a F3, that would be 6 jury members, creating 3-3 or 2-2-2 tie possibilities.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.