Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How come no love for the Two and a Half Men?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Show some love for the Two and a Half Men
Yes, it got my love
38.55%
No, I hate it
55.42%
Twikoff got my love
6.02%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

How come no love for the Two and a Half Men?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
The housekeeper is funny.
Agreed. I also think Charlie's and Alan's mom is funny.
Old 04-28-09, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How come no love for the Two and a Half Men?

I like it. There are so few sitcoms on anymore, and I always laugh at something they say. Figuring out how the episode title fits into the story, and reading the vanity card at the end are worth watching themselves!
Old 04-28-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chase3001
What is strange is that I hate Two and a Half Men, yet I love The Big Bang Theory.
I completely agree with you here. I can't stand to watch TAAHM, but I love TBBT.

I've not really cared for it since the beginning, but the episode that drove the show into hated territory for me was Alan's 40th birthday episode a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe how mean spirited Charlie, Jake and Evelyn were being to Alan.
Old 04-28-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate this show. I can agree that the show itself is mindless and harmless. But the fact that it's more successful than other shows that are much smarter just angries up the blood.
Old 04-29-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't watch anything with a laugh track anymore.
Old 04-29-09, 07:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

It is 22 minutes of the same dick jokes week after week.

I watch it about once a year to renew my non-faith in the American public.

Last edited by Trevor; 04-29-09 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I got into syndicated episodes awhile ago. This show isn't very good, but it's always there for a mindless 30 minutes and I can enjoy it without really having to pay attention to it. It's always good for some humor and once in awhile you get a good lol moment.

The reason for no thread is probably because I can't imagine it getting a whole lot of discussion around here. although you are welcome to make threads to gauge interest.
Old 04-29-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't mind the sex jokes, as long as they're clever or funny. On this show, they are neither. And Charlie Sheen has the worst delivery, I half-expect him to turn to the camera and wink after every line. Plus it's kind of mean-spirited, like the characters hate each other.
Old 04-29-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I got over "Little kid says something dirty" being funny a long time ago.

Since the show has very few actual jokes that aren't painfully obvious, sticks with the same weak plot patterns with the obnoxious laugh track, and insists on the broadest possible delivery of every.single.line ... I have to say I just don't enjoy it.

It's a bit disheartening to see the series constantly pull fantastic ratings while other, funnier, more clever shows struggle. That said, I never seemed to mesh well with the "general public" when it comes to comedy, which is why the shows I do find funny generally get shitcanned early on and why movies I find to be fairly painful to watch (My Big Fat Greek Wedding comes to mind) somehow manage to break records.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-29-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Pretty sure I've noticed about everyone in this thread in the the Other forum.
Really? Never been...

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Still, to the OP, anyone can start weekly episode threads. If you're a fan of the show, start a thread or two and see if it garners any attention.
Originally Posted by Goat3001
The reason for no thread is probably because I can't imagine it getting a whole lot of discussion around here. although you are welcome to make threads to gauge interest.
Agreed. What's to discuss each week?

Originally Posted by Red Dog
And it usually has hot chicks on it, which doesn't hurt. Plus I'm amazed with what the CBS censors allow them to get away with.
And THAT curries enough favor to maintain your viewership. Buy a magazine.

As for threads, I find that there really isn't much to talk about in comedy show threads. The only threads that garner a lot of talk are the geeky show type threads.
The only sitcoms still on that get threads are those with rapid fire and stealth jokes like The Office and 30 Rock. Even discussing How I Met You Mother is a stretch for a sitcom thread most of the time this season. Seriously what's to talk about except for "That chick gave me the hot". Ugh.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-29-09 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 633 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan

And THAT curries enough favor to maintain your viewership. Buy a magazine. hbfrank:

The only sitcoms still on that get threads are those with rapid fire and stealth jokes like The Office and 30 Rock. Even discussing How I Met You Mother is a stretch for a sitcom thread most of the time this season. Seriously what's to talk about except for "That chick gave me the hot". Ugh.

As I said first (primarily), I find it a very funny show. The hot chicks are basically a bonus. Sorry that is somehow objectionable.

Even the 30 Rock threads mostly consist of posting a funny line with a laughing smilie after it. Not much discussion there either. The Office garners more discussion but that usually centers around the believeability of Michael's antics and whether the show has gone downhill/uphill/etc.
Old 04-29-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like it and am not afraid to say it. I love how it's cool to hate on this show. It's a sitcom. Some lines make me laugh, some fall flat.

It's almost like there is a formula to what you are allowed to watch.

If you like The Office, then you may watch The Big Bang Theory.
If you like Earl, then you may watch Heroes.

I loved Arrested Development, and HATED the Office (returned the disk after the first 3 episodes. Earl is a an unfunny show.

I love 30 Rock. And I like Gary, Unmarried. Is that allowed?

I am not saying everyone has to watch it and find it funny, it's just obvious that some people hate the theory of it, more than the actual show.
Old 04-29-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I like it and am not afraid to say it. I love how it's cool to hate on this show. It's a sitcom. Some lines make me laugh, some fall flat.

It's almost like there is a formula to what you are allowed to watch.

If you like The Office, then you may watch The Big Bang Theory.
If you like Earl, then you may watch Heroes.

I loved Arrested Development, and HATED the Office (returned the disk after the first 3 episodes. Earl is a an unfunny show.

I love 30 Rock. And I like Gary, Unmarried. Is that allowed?

I am not saying everyone has to watch it and find it funny, it's just obvious that some people hate the theory of it, more than the actual show.

I agree. It's a snobbish attitude.

Comedies like 30 Rock, The Office, It's Always Sunny, and Two and a Half Men all make me laugh. There is no set formula (such as a no-laugh track requirement) that triggers laughter from me.
Old 04-29-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts

Is this a thread about According to Jim?
Old 04-29-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. It's a snobbish attitude.
The argument is not whether it is good or not, nor if you like it or not. The OP was asking why no thread and that question has been answered - What's to talk about that merits a thread? If you WANT one, create one. Damn...

This is more ridiculous than the show itself.
Old 04-29-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie Sheen can be funny. He proved that with the two Hot Shots movies. He had great comedic timing in those. But every episode of this I've ever glanced at has him acting drunk, then some random slut shows up at the door, Jon Cryer answers, everyone acts awkward, the kid makes jokes, and then I have to turn it before I vomit.
Old 04-29-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<--- Is laughing at some of the tv snobbery in this thread (but is also not surprised).
Old 04-29-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk God

The argument is not whether it is good or not, nor if you like it or not. The OP was asking why no thread and that question has been answered - What's to talk about that merits a thread? If you WANT one, create one. Damn...

This is more ridiculous than the show itself.
I for one am shocked that the discussion turned in a different direction. I've never seen that happen in threads in this forum.
Old 04-29-09, 10:07 AM
Suspended

I was just curious whether there's a general unwritten disgust of the show amongst the otters here. How is it a show that regularly score top 10 in rating, "a sign that it's loved by the general public", does not translate to a love for the show with regular weekly thread creation? I'm not advocating for such, nor will I be doing such seeing the mixed responses I've gotten. I just thought this show would be just as good as any to generate a regular discussion. I don't regularly participate in them, but just like to see people's reaction is all.

Personally, I'm the completely opposite to what appears to be most of the responses here. I can't stand How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, or Gary Unmarried. I actually find their writing to be childish. You can see their jokes coming miles away. Especially that dude from Doggie Howser. A guy with no comedic talent drives me crazy.
Old 04-29-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I watch it and enjoy it. I don't think it's one of the best comedies on tv (nor is it my favorite), but I still laugh when I watch it. I know it's just recycled dick and fart jokes, but it's entertaining, so I have it on while I play on the computer. I'm pretty amazed at what they can get by the sensors.
Old 04-29-09, 10:40 AM

The thing I'm consistently surprised with is how high the ratings are for the show. Based on the content, it's strange to see it referred to as something like "The #1 Family Show on Television!" Do people actually let their kids watch this, strongly glamorizing alcoholism and philandering? That's not to say I'd rather have a kid watch one of the dozens of murder-based shows, but still.

I tend to leave the channel on after The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother in hope of an extra laugh or two, with about a 50/50 success rate. I like that they're finally breaking their formula a little bit by having Charlie with one woman, but you can tell they're flailing around trying to figure out what to do with the plots each week.
Old 04-29-09, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meglos
<--- Is laughing at some of the tv snobbery in this thread (but is also not surprised).
I wouldn't call it snobbery, it's discourse. The OP asked for opinions, people are answering.

This may be snobbery, but I also agree with a previous poster and hope that no one lets their children watch this show.

Call me old fashioned, but I think the media has a big influence on society. A generation or two ago, people treated each other a lot better than they do today. TV shows and music back then did not have the vileness and outright hate depicted in so much media today. I see a connection. (But am open to evidence proving I'm wrong.)
Old 04-29-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I wouldn't call it snobbery, it's discourse. The OP asked for opinions, people are answering.

This may be snobbery, but I also agree with a previous poster and hope that no one lets their children watch this show.
I don't think that this is snobbery. If you think the topics of the show aren't for children then that is your opinion. Now, granted this isn't a show for children so I don't know why it even came up.

edit: Just read the last post and now I see why it came up. Yeah calling it a family show is indeed ridiculous.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I watch it about once a year to renew my non-faith in the American public.
How is that not snobbery? If you want to say you dislike the show, by all means do so. If you want to mention different aspects of the show that you don't like, than that is fine as well. But to imply that something is wrong with the American public for liking it is indeed snobbery.

Last edited by Goat3001; 04-29-09 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-29-09, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
How is that not snobbery? If you want to say you dislike the show, by all means do so. If you want to mention different aspects of the show that you don't like, than that is fine as well. But to imply that something is wrong with the American public for liking it is indeed snobbery.
I thought the reasons were fairly obvious, and have been articulated quite well by others, and summed up pretty well in the 3rd reply, "the running gags are pretty boring and repetitive".

And yes, I do think something is wrong with America when low brow repetitive sexist humor succeeds. I don't think it makes one a snob to feel that way. Just expressing my opinion and taking a stand.
Old 04-29-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 556 Posts

It's funny, because for the longest time I wanted to put up a poll to see who was the bigger man whore... Charlie (TaaHM) or Barney (HIMYM), but I knew the hatred for Two and a Half Men so I never bothered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.