J.J. Abrams Article on Spoilers

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-25-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/...urrentPage=all

Commentary on how difficult it is to keep secrets in our wired world. He asks the same question many of us have asked: Why on earth would anyone want to read a spoiler and ruin the experience?

He mentions Lost only in passing:

People often ask me how Lost is going to end. I usually tell them to ask Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, who run that series. But I always wonder, do they really want to know? And what if I did tell them? They might have an aha moment, but without context. Especially since the final episode is a year away. That is to say, the experience—the setup for a joke's punch line, the buildup to a magic trick's big flourish—is as much of a thrill as the result. There's discovery to be made and wonder to be had on the journey that not only enrich the ending but in many ways define it.
BTW, despite the warning at the top of the article, there are no spoilers in the article (unless you're playing Super Mario Bros 2).
Old 04-25-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: J.J. Abrams Article on Spoilers

Originally Posted by Flave
[url]
BTW, despite the warning at the top of the article, there are no spoilers in the article (unless you're playing Super Mario Bros 2).
I just read this in the print mag yesterday actually. Good article. I like how even after saying you agree with his stance, you still ended up spoiling what game he was playing .
Old 04-25-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I just read this in the print mag yesterday actually. Good article. I like how even after saying you agree with his stance, you still ended up spoiling what game he was playing .
Well, I don't think the name of the game is a big secret. The spoiler is that he tells you how to solve the final level.
Old 04-25-09, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I agree with him. Though sometimes I don't mind spoilers, I never seek them out.

I think the problem is that the general public (AKA: Sheep) prefer comfort out of their entertainment and would prefer to know what they're getting into rather than be genuinely surprised or challenged. And for the most part, major studios know this and are complicit.

Check out this trailer:

You get the WHOLE fucking movie in that trailer - nothing is left out. But the people who'd go see it don't care, as they're gonna get exactly what they're expecting, as they should, since this type of movie was made for them.

The problem with JJ Abrams' movies and TV shows is that he has a sort of crossover fan-base comprised of those people who seek such comfort and the hard-core nerds that want to go in completely fresh.
Old 04-25-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I will admit, in this day and age keeping their Cloverfield secret has to be one of the most - if not THE most - impressive feats in Hollywood in the last few decades. Whether you liked the movie or not those few months of not knowing anything about it were really great!
Old 04-25-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

if someone told me how lost ended i would beat their moms ass
Old 04-25-09, 09:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This from the guy who publicized the big casting spoiler for Fringe all over the media.
Old 04-26-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If somebody told me what the last scene in Lost was, I doubt it would make any sense to me.
Old 04-26-09, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This article is funny considering I've read two interviews in the last year from Lindelof and Cuse in which they threw out two relevant things pertaining to the final episode of Lost. Of course, I read them before I even knew what was coming at me. I'd bet they have stuff planned that we won't see coming for few miles away as well.

Here they are. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler:

Both the island's Volcano and the Black Rock will have parts in the last episode.

The volcano was mentioned during Ben's classroom scene, as Olivia explained it exploded sometime long ago in the past. They have also hinted at it throughout the series, by showing the crator on Rousseau's map during season 1 as well as during some of the various aerial shots of the island.

The Black Rock was also featured since season 1.
Old 04-26-09, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This article is funny considering I've read two interviews in the last year from Lindelof and Cuse in which they threw out two relevant things pertaining to the final episode of Lost. Of course, I read them before I even knew what was coming at me. I'd bet they have stuff planned that we won't see coming for few miles away as well.

Here they are. Read at your own risk.

Spoiler:

Both the island's Volcano and the Black Rock will have parts in the last episode.

The volcano was mentioned during Ben's classroom scene, as Olivia explained it exploded sometime long ago in the past. They have also hinted at it throughout the series, by showing the crator on Rousseau's map during season 1 as well as during some of the various aerial shots of the island.

The Black Rock was also featured since season 1.

Seriously, not much of a spoiler. They already let us know that all questions will be answered by the end of the series (that pertain to the island itself...I don't know if they are going to answer questions fans want to see covered that they consider dropped, such as Libby's back story and such) so it's fairly obvious these two things are going to be covered before the series' end.
Old 04-26-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Seriously, not much of a spoiler. They already let us know that all questions will be answered by the end of the series (that pertain to the island itself...I don't know if they are going to answer questions fans want to see covered that they consider dropped, such as Libby's back story and such) so it's fairly obvious these two things are going to be covered before the series' end.
It is if you think about what I wrote ...

Last edited by DthRdrX; 04-26-09 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is if you think about what I wrote. Think time period.
Fair enough. But I still say it's the journey getting there that's going to be the best part. I can tell you in July I will be in another state and another city, but you don't know why or how I am going to get there. All Lindelof and Cuse threw out were two teases in where they are going in the journey to the end of the series. We still don't know how or why it's going to happen, though. That's the main part of it that's not spoilerized.
Old 04-26-09, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised he didn't start crying.

That long winded rant sounded like nothing more than the ramblings of a bitter man-child who couldn't beat a video game I beat when I was 8.

Some people like to find out spoilers and some don't. Boo fucking hoo.

And yet, somehow, the world goes on.
Old 04-26-09, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I don't mind spoilers. For me it isn't so much about "what" happens so much as how that "what" is executed. I frequently read scripts in advance of seeing movies and always watch previews for next weeks TV show. While I generally don't seek TV show spoilers out, it doesn't bother me in the least if I find how it advance an upcoming plot point. And I will always click on any spoiler tagged info on these threads. I am probably in the minority though. None of my friends agree with me. HAHA
Old 04-26-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
For me it isn't so much about "what" happens so much as how that "what" is executed.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Discussions about spoilers always bring to mind The Sixth Sense for me. The first time I saw it I thought it was awesome, but any time I've watched it since (or tried to, rather) I've hated it. It's a movie whose quality hinges entirely on the twist ending. I'm not saying I would have wanted the ending spoiled for me, but I have learned that I generally don't care for twist storytelling because the twist often overshadows the rest of the story.
Old 04-26-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FatTony
That pretty much sums it up for me. Discussions about spoilers always bring to mind The Sixth Sense for me. The first time I saw it I thought it was awesome, but any time I've watched it since (or tried to, rather) I've hated it. It's a movie whose quality hinges entirely on the twist ending. I'm not saying I would have wanted the ending spoiled for me, but I have learned that I generally don't care for twist storytelling because the twist often overshadows the rest of the story.
I hated the movie, but that was because I figured out the twist during the first five minutes. I agree 100%.
Old 04-26-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you did.

Old 04-26-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you did.

Spoiler:

Seriously, BW gets shot right at the start of a movie which just about never happens, then he is fine a few seconds later. No one seems to bring it up from that point forward. Given the kid's tagline on all of the TV ads I'm surprised everyone didn't figure it out.
Old 05-08-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Maybe he could use his patented form of time travel or skipping ahead two years in order to prevent this from happening...
Old 05-08-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:

Seriously, BW gets shot right at the start of a movie which just about never happens, then he is fine a few seconds later. No one seems to bring it up from that point forward. Given the kid's tagline on all of the TV ads I'm surprised everyone didn't figure it out.
It's been awhile since I've seen the movie but...

Spoiler:
Didn't the events of the movie take place a few months after the shooting? I thought it was stated in a title card that a few months had passed.

Also the big twist of the movie had nothing to do with the end. If you went into the movie without any knowledge of the film whatsoever the twist would have been finding out about the kids gift.
Old 05-08-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This from the guy who publicized the big casting spoiler for Fringe all over the media.
Well but didn't that make the last few episodes more interesting if you knew it? The guy this past week who accuses Bell of being responsible for all the stuff they're been seeing then claiming that he himself is Mr. Spock? The joke is better if you know who is playing Bell. Also in the previous episode when you hear the voice... surely people would have derived that even without the spoiler.

Originally Posted by JTH182
Some people like to find out spoilers and some don't. Boo fucking hoo.

And yet, somehow, the world goes on.
I think the point is that those who "like to find out spoilers" use that knowledge to purposely ruin things for people who DON'T. And that just sucks. I don't care if you're one or the other, but to deliberately spoil something for someone who doesn't want to know is just sucky. A bell cannot be unrung.

Last edited by rfduncan; 05-08-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Personally, I don't mind spoilers. For me it isn't so much about "what" happens so much as how that "what" is executed.
Well put. I have a dozen half-entertaining ideas floating around my head at any given time, but I couldn't pull them off for shit. The people who can pull stuff off are the people I'll watch anything from. The ones who can't won't get my eyeballs no matter how cool their premise looks.

I seek out spoilers from time to time because I like reading about where something is going, using my imagination to play it out in my head, and seeing how the professionals do it.
Old 05-08-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
To be fair, wasn't Fringe still on the bubble for renewal at that point? I doubt spoilers have anything to do with it. That was clearly a publicity stunt to get as many viewers possible in the final episodes.

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I think the point is that those who "like to find out spoilers" use that knowledge to purposely ruin things for people who DON'T. And that just sucks. I don't care if you're one or the other, but to deliberately spoil something for someone who doesn't want to know is just sucky. A bell cannot be unrung.
What's worse are the people that pass off spoilers as 'theories.'
Old 05-08-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
You are right, but I think there is room for criticism on the other side. Some people (mostly in the context of genre shows) believe that all advance info should remain strictly unrevealed. That's just nuts. Sweat the important stuff, not what reality TV guest will be making a sweeps-month cameo.
Old 05-08-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What's worse are the people that pass off spoilers as 'theories.'
Yep. That's just lame. Craving adoration of people on the Internet who care that you "guessed" right about some show is pathetic.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.