Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ER - "And In The End..." - 4/2/09 - Series Finale

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: ER - "And In The End..." - 4/2/09 - Series Finale

Great last line Did drag quite a bit though. Could have done without half those cases in the ER... the old couple was definitely the best one there.
Old 04-02-09, 10:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 263 Likes on 198 Posts

Yeah, this definitely could have been an hour long.

Good ending though
Old 04-02-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure, it was a little overlong, but I enjoyed the time they took in wrapping up the current cast and their future prospects:

Carter stays at County General, plus runs the Carter Center. Kem is still a piece of work, though, but Carter will always want to be with her, even if they are an ocean apart.

Gates and Sam finally just give bonding a try, as Gates grows up and appears to be ready for a more committed relationship.

Really liked how they brought in Rachel as the next generation for ER.

Again, would not have minded it if the show went on with the new faces that appeared this season, and in this very episode. I can't believe how frikkin' blue Alexis Bledel's eyes are, you never really notice it on Gilmore Girls, but the lighting in the ER just made them pop.

Pratt would be proud of his little brother.

I still have no idea where Susan lives or works.

It's weird not seeing Weaver and her cane (since they fixed her hip late in her run on the show).

It's even weirder to see Peter so mellowed out, plus it was good to see him and Lizzie together as friends.

Plus, you get the idea that Lizzie never got over Mark, so she buried herself into her career at Duke.

Ratings-wise, perhaps the show was getting too expensive to keep on air, but I'd watch another season, but I guess I'll have to be happy for the 15 season we got.
Old 04-02-09, 10:24 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
I'm glad Rory Gilmore decided to give emergency medicine a try.
Ah, thank you. I knew that doctor was someone I knew, but I couldn't quite think of Alexis' name for some reason.

Yeah, it was a bit overlong at 2 hours, but it was pretty decent. It was pretty much what I was expecting (ie. A "life goes on"-style finale, rather than some huge, dramatic conclusion).
Old 04-02-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the old couple story almost made me slit my wrists... good bye e.r. its been real
Old 04-03-09, 01:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hadnt seen an episode in prolly 2 years. All i remember was Abby and Luka were together.

Was a good season finale, was nice to the homages to the Pilot. Having the old intro for the last time was great. I'll miss you ER
Old 04-03-09, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts

Loved the retro intro. I would have liked more nostalgia and less of the normal cases, but overall
Old 04-03-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The episode did drag, especially when in comparison with the 'pilot' which it was suppose to be mirroring.

But, still I liked it. It was subtile kinda in a way that it had to be. Life at the ER continues...
Old 04-03-09, 02:56 AM

wow...15 years.

I really haven't watched in about 10 years, but this used to be my favorite show. I left for college and life got in the way, but maybe it's time to start netflixing these dvd's.

what season did Greene get beat up in the bathroom? That was around the time I stopped watching, I think.
Old 04-03-09, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

He got beat up at the end of Season 3
Old 04-03-09, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

ER is still on? Who knew.
Old 04-03-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Loved the old school opening.

In the beginning of the episode, Lydia the nurse stuck her head in an exam room and woke up Morris, and all you could see of her was the shadow of her head on the wall, that was exactly the way she woke up Mark Greene in the beginning of the pilot episode. Nice!

Good seeing the old faces, and the slight awkwardness between Benton and Corday. Even Reese was there. And a new Dr. Greene. Maybe corny, but it was a satisfying finale. No gimmicks, no unlikely amounts of closure, just life goes on.

Hate to be morbid, but at the end when the entire team is waiting outside for the multiple traumas, I was half-expecting the fleet of ambulances to run them all down.
Old 04-03-09, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Decent finale. Like most finales, a bit too long and too sentimental, but not a disaster like some ill-conceived finales (ex. Seinfeld and The X-Files). I really liked the opening with the doctor sleeping in the on-call bed being woken up by a nurse, just like in the pilot. That was a nice touch.

I'm also a former fan who eventually stopped watching the show, dropping it after they killed off Dr. Greene (Anthony Edwards) at the end of Season 8. Like a lot of others, I think the best single episode is "Love's Labor Lost" from Season 1 because that is the episode that got me hooked on the show in the first place. And I think that the show was great for the first 6 seasons, up until Nurse Hathaway (Julianna Margulies) left the show in the second-to-last episode of that season. After that, it gradually declined as more and more of the original characters left and the overall writing declined in quality. When this decline really caught my attention was while Season 8 was on its original broadcast. TNT (I think that was the channel) was showing reruns of early seasons and I was re-watching those at the same time as watching the "new" Season 8 episodes and the difference in quality and just how much the show had declined since the early seasons was painfully obvious. So once they killed off a favorite character in Dr. Greene, I was done and only checked out a few episodes here and there over the next 7 seasons as other original cast members left. And I don't regret leaving the show at all because I just want to remember the best years of the show.

Last edited by dhmac; 04-03-09 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 08:24 AM

Definitely a satisfying finale IMO. Nice to see the previous members of the cast. I think they did a nice job weaving them in over the course of hte season.

Like others have said, I also liked the old school opening, and the theme music swelling up over the final scene as it faded out.
Old 04-03-09, 08:26 AM

I can't believe how frikkin' blue Alexis Bledel's eyes are, you never really notice it on Gilmore Girls, but the lighting in the ER just made them pop.
They looked great!
Old 04-03-09, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been a huge fan of the show, but I was curious to see the series finale. Anyways, my local channel lost the network feed during the last 10 minutes of the show, so I didn't see the ending. That was some good timing there!
Old 04-03-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Again, would not have minded it if the show went on with the new faces that appeared this season, and in this very episode. I can't believe how frikkin' blue Alexis Bledel's eyes are, you never really notice it on Gilmore Girls, but the lighting in the ER just made them pop.
Yeah, I didn't notice how blue her eyes were until Sin City (spoiler below for size, kind of a poor example but the best I could find). I do agree that they really stood out last night as well.

Spoiler:

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-09 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

why dont they have some type of rain cover over the bus bay? seems like they could make some kind of over hang to deal with the rain
Old 04-03-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I enjoyed the series finale and all the homages to the pilot... I really like the end with the pan out so you could see the entire building of County and where they spent the last 15 years. Im with Patman, wouldnt have minded another season, but I think they gave the show a fitting farewell.
Old 04-03-09, 12:19 PM

Arent they thinking of doing a Stamos spinoff? I read that somewhere.
Old 04-03-09, 12:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I was hoping it would all just be the daydream of an autistic kid looking into a snowglobe.
Old 04-03-09, 02:02 PM

Watching the restrospective, I realized how many updates I would have liked (Jeannie Boulet's HIV status, does Carrie Weaver have custody of her child or do Sandy's parents...) I had forgotten about so many people and stories, some thankfully (such as Abby's Mother) some regretfully (Abby's brother, Sherry Stringfied and Donal Logue, Mr and Mrs Rubidoo, the bayou field trip with Benton.) I'd really like to watch this series again, in order, at some point.

I agree with most people here- the finale dragged but was satifying overall. Moments of brillance (the shadow of the nurse on the wall waking the doc, the final few minutes, the music usage...) Loved seeing Carter play basketball again. Loved Rachel Greene's storyline, and the final notion that there will still be a Dr. Carter, a Dr. Greene and even a Dr. Pratt practicing at county general.
Old 04-03-09, 02:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Renee
Watching the restrospective, I realized how many updates I would have liked (Jeannie Boulet's HIV status,
I'm pretty sure that there was an episode last year where Jeannie Boulet came back, and was doing fine.
Old 04-03-09, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts

to Spielberg for appearing in the retrospective. But would it have killed them to have gotten a quote from Laura Ceron and Yvette Freeman, who aren't major stars but have been around forever?
Old 04-03-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was Abraham Benrubi back?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.