Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dollhouse -- "Man on the Street" -- 3/20/09

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 09:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Dollhouse -- "Man on the Street" -- 3/20/09

So how did whats his face figure out the other guy was raping Sierra?
Old 03-21-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Wow, that was a great episode. Finally we're heading somewhere. More Helo and hot neighbor is exactly what this show needs.
Old 03-21-09, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And finally, this is the episode that hooked me. I am now pulling for it's success and renewal... but i can't see that happening. Not all episodes can be 'arc' episodes and the one off's just don't work for me.
Old 03-21-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awesome episode, although finding the handler was raping his doll felt pretty obvious.
I had felt there was a decent chance of the neighbor being a mole of some sort, but it was really cool how it went down.
Old 03-21-09, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week, I almost didn't watch, and when I did I thought it was only okay. That singer/bodyguard episode was the low point. I told my wife I wouldn't be too sorry if it got canceled.

This week, though... wow. Patton Oswalt and his character were great, the dialogue great, the plot turns great, the fights fun, the direction of the show finally makes it seem as if it could reach the potential of Whedon's other shows. This episode makes me excited about the show when I'd pretty much given up on it. Does anyone know how it did in the ratings?

Last edited by cornyt; 03-21-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-21-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by cornyt
Last week, I almost didn't watch, and when I did I thought it was only okay. That singer/bodyguard episode was the low point. I told my wife I wouldn't be too sorry if it got canceled.

This week, though... wow. Patton Oswalt and his character were great, the dialogue great, the plot turns great, the fights fun, the direction of the show finally makes it seem as if it could reach the potential of Whedon's other shows. This episode makes me excited about the show when I'd pretty much given up on it. Does anyone know how it did in the ratings?
It's getting between 4-4.5M viewers. I believe this episode got 4.1M. The good news is that it's building viewers off Terminator every week.

There is some chatter that FOX is considering ordering a 2nd season despite the low ratings.
Old 03-21-09, 10:06 PM

It should be noted that the episode this week was up against the two hour Battlestar Galactica finale and NCAA Tournament games and held up well. Because of the demographic overlap of Dollhouse and Battlestar Galactica, some were predicting Dollhouse would only get around 3.5 million this week. Plus the DVR ratings have consistently added about 30% more to the ratings of each episode.

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 03-21-09 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-22-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wirefan
And I think the development of more characters and having Dushku in a largely background role helped - I still don't think she has the ability to carry the show and I hope it continues with a more balanced character approach (and doesn't digress into story of the week with a little story arc sprinkled in)
I agree the show works better when its not reliant on Dushku to carry the episode.
Old 03-22-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I stopped watching a few weeks back, but a friend insisted I watch this one. WOW! If they can keep up a mythology arc like this I will stick around. Back to regular episodes, and I don't know...
Old 03-22-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Dushku is good, but the FBI guy is great. I enjoy when they focus on him for the episode. The male leads in this show are very good. However, I am also a fan of the female boss. I really have to learn the names here. The fight scene was extremely well choreographed for a TV show. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-22-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
Going to have to go back and watch the episode again, but was Echo programmed to talk to Ballard to mislead him, or was that actually her talking?
Yeah at first I thought they were setting up the FBI guy to go take out the guy beating up his neighbor. Then she got activated, so I'm thinking it was the secret code embedded in her.

So is the message still on her answering machine? Is she going to turn on and off the next time she plays it?
Old 03-22-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cornyt

The same thoughts as mine
This week it really did seem like a different show. Also the first time it made sense that someone would hire a doll instead of the real deal; here Patton's character wanted the doll and her reactions to be "real" instead of just someone pretending.

The fight was also really good. Cant recall having seen a comparable fight on television.
Old 03-23-09, 01:45 AM

^ It was, IMO, the best fight on TV since Angel/Spike in Season 5's "Destiny" Now that was an awesome fight.
Old 03-23-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished watching this on Hulu and it was great. The show has been just ok for me a nice idea didn't make too many mistakes but still very predictable. That all changed there were parts of the ep that was not predictable and that is hard to do this day and age. This episode alone should keep everyone onboard for the rest of the season and hopefully get them another. Two things that I am thinking about right now one is "millie" is really hot has an attainable quality that Eliza's character doesn't have makes her very attractive. The other thing is why is this show longer then most other hour longs on tv right now I believe episode 5 was almost 50 minutes long and normally you only get 44 minutes not complaining just seems odd to me.
Old 03-23-09, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
So is the message still on her answering machine? Is she going to turn on and off the next time she plays it?
I was confused at first over this as well, but she's at Ballard's place; it was his voice on the answering machine.

Of course, that just begs the question of what's he going to think when he goes to listen to his messages? Although, if they can wipe peoples' brains and imprint them with composite personalities, I'd think that clearing an answering machine remotely would be a breeze.
Old 03-23-09, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
The other thing is why is this show longer then most other hour longs on tv right now I believe episode 5 was almost 50 minutes long and normally you only get 44 minutes not complaining just seems odd to me.
Fox announced last fall that they are trying something new with this show and their other new show Fringe called "remote-free TV." The idea is to have much shorter commercial breaks and charge a higher price to advertisers. The original announcement said it would last the entire season, but Fox hasn't been unable find enough advertisers willing to pay the premium price they need to make it financially viable. There were stories last week that said they were abandoning it, but I don't know when that will go into effect. Presumably those episodes already produced have the extra content, but I bet they were written so that each ep could be cut for standard run time in case the show went into syndication.

Last edited by wmansir; 03-23-09 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-23-09, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this was a terrific episode and if it stays this good, it just may pull through.
Old 03-23-09, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
Fox announced last fall that they are trying something new with this show and their other new show Fringe called "remote-free TV." The idea is to have much shorter commercial breaks and charge a higher price to advertisers.
I find it extremely handy that when I watch it on DVR (or if I can get a little bit of a pad on a live broadcast) they have those little "'Dollhouse' will return in 60 (or 90) seconds" title cards, except for the last break. Then I know exactly how many times to hit my 30 sec. advance without having to see/hear any little bit of an ad. They seem to work completely against the idea in that regard. Even when I'm watching live, I find myself trying to hit the button, only to be disappointed.
Old 03-23-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this was the episode i was waiting for.

do not fuck with paul ballard, btw.
Old 03-24-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Still nowhere up to the level of Buffy, Angel, or Firefly.
Really? Me thinks you should really go back and was the 12 episodes of S1 Buffy (trying to see it FRESH and not knowing where the show is going). Not a terribly different "level" in a general sense.

Originally Posted by DJariya
There is some chatter that FOX is considering ordering a 2nd season despite the low ratings.
Until the axe it just as it is getting great in S2 a la Tru Calling.

I'm very excited about this show finally getting into the arc. I can't WAIT until the dolls start to go partly sentient. I wonder if this dollhouse doesn't get flipped to turn on the others in the network (a la ALIAS). We'll always end up guessing if some new character is real or a doll!
Old 03-24-09, 02:49 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I want to bbbbrrrrrrrrrumski Helo's neighbors bosom.
Old 03-24-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I want to bbbbrrrrrrrrrumski Helo's neighbors bosom.
Am I crazy for thinking shes the hottest chick on the show?
Old 03-24-09, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Thrush
Am I crazy for thinking shes the hottest chick on the show?
If you're crazy for thinking it, I must be totally certifiably insane.
Old 03-25-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I don't know about all of you, but I think Olivia Williams is IMO the sexiest woman on the show. No offense to Eliza lovers as I'm still a fan of hers too. I love the accent and she dresses really sexy yet sophisticated in every episode I've seen thus far.
Old 03-25-09, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I agree with you 100%, DJariya. I look forward to each and every one of her scenes. But then I've never had a fondness for Eliza Dushku.

Oddly enough, I've begun to grow fond of Dichen Lachman (Sierra). She's a clear example of the Jerry Senfeld "Two Face" theory which is why I go back and forth when it comes to her looks.

Yummy:

Yucky:

For those that care to see more of her, simply copy paste the following link and change the numbers from 0 to 22: http://scifisizzle.com/imagegallery/..._lachman_0.jpg

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-25-09 at 02:51 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.