Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twenty Four (24) -- Season 7 -- "3:00pm to 4:00pm" -- 2/9/09

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Twenty Four (24) -- Season 7 -- "3:00pm to 4:00pm" -- 2/9/09

I think Dubaku was just using the "Samuel" cover to help him integrate into the city without looking overly suspicious. And the circumstances led to him hooking up with that waitress to help him achieve this cover. It's almost the same as a terrorist sleeper cell integrating into society before planning a major attack, which is now what he's doing.

I know the authorities already know what Dubaku looks like, but I assume he needs to take care of that problem to avoid further complications.
Old 02-10-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Honestly, that didn't really bother me. The writers obviously needed to get Dubaku out of the house before Jack and Renee got there. I would have preferred a less silly reason, but something had to happen. Clearly he could have trusted one of his cronies with the task of taking out a wheelchair-bound woman, but that wouldn't have gotten him out of the convenience store.

I was probably equally bothered by that plotline, which redefines the phrase "domestic terrorist," as I was that Jack doesn't need to ask people where they parked or what kind of car they drive when he borrows their keys.
Old 02-10-09, 01:48 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know the authorities already know what Dubaku looks like.
Not only that, but they know he's in the country -- yet they aren't flooding the media with "Have you seen this man?" Meanwhile, Dubaku is going for a stroll downtown, riding the bus, etc.
Old 02-10-09, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dubaku is truly becoming the terrorist version of George Costanza. I wouldn't be surprised if next week we get treated to a scene like the following:

Terrorist Croonie: "What took you so long? Six hours to kill an old lady in a wheelchair?"

Dubaku: "After that I had another errand to run. I currently hold the high score on that Ms. Pacman game they have in that coffee shop my girlfriend works at. No way am I leaving the country without it, it took me weeks to achieve that score! I was there taking measurements and fitting it with a backup battery. Now we just need to figure out a way to smuggle it past customs..."
Old 02-10-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry Michael, I cannot get Entourage out of my head when I see him.
Old 02-10-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Honestly, that didn't really bother me. The writers obviously needed to get Dubaku out of the house before Jack and Renee got there. I would have preferred a less silly reason, but something had to happen. Clearly he could have trusted one of his cronies with the task of taking out a wheelchair-bound woman, but that wouldn't have gotten him out of the convenience store...
It was obviously just a plot device designed to move the story forward while still keeping him out of custody, but somehow I wish they could have come up with a better one. For example : He had recently eaten at a hot dog vendor and now had explosive diarrhea, or : He had to run outside at that very moment to check the mailbox to see if his Netflix copy of Vicky Christina Barcelona had arrived yet.
Old 02-10-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
No mention yet of Jack's badass line when the President questioned his allegiance?

"Madam President, with all due respect, ASK AROUND."
That immediately reminded me of a quote from an ENTIRELY different TV show:

"I’m The Doctor and you’re in the biggest library in the universe! Look me up."
Old 02-10-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Does anyone else think they're setting up the new CTU staff for season 8 this year? I can gurantee by the end of the season CTU will open back up and Jack and Tonys new recruits will be working at the new CTU as regulars.
Old 02-10-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope not. I like elite group with government overhang.
Old 02-10-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by moonraker
Dubaku is truly becoming the terrorist version of George Costanza. I wouldn't be surprised if next week we get treated to a scene like the following:

Terrorist Croonie: "What took you so long? Six hours to kill an old lady in a wheelchair?"
Dubaku: "After that I had another errand to run. I currently hold the high score on that Ms. Pacman game they have in that coffee shop my girlfriend works at. No way am I leaving the country without it, it took me weeks to achieve that score! I was there taking measurements and fitting it with a backup battery. Now we just need to figure out a way to smuggle it past customs..."
the show is in real time so that can't happen next week
Old 02-10-09, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moonraker
Go back and check out my posts in the thread for last week's episode. The entire 'Dubaku-has-to-hide-his-terrorist-activities-from-his-unsuspecting-girlfriend' subplot is about THE SILLIEST thing we've ever seen on this show. Seriously. I can't believe that people here are still posting about how great the writing is this season. This subplot idea is so bad that it's almost laugh-out-loud funny -- and not in a good way. This is some of the weakest -- if not the weakest -- writing that any season of 24 has ever presented.

First of all: why does he even have a girlfriend here in the first place? He's planning to take over control of his country, right? So he's only here temporarily, for just as long as it takes to carry out his terrorism mission. Why would he even bother, let alone find the time, to begin a romantic relationship? This is absurd.

And even if we somehow accept the premise that in between bringing down airplanes, causing leaks at chemical plants, kidnapping the President's spouse, making ransom demands directly to the President, and generally trying to evade every law enforcement agency in the country -- that he did indeed find a girlfriend -- then why should he care so much if someone threatens to tell his girlfriend he's not who he claims to be? Big deal. They don't know he's a terrorist, just someone who lied about his passport status. Why the need to go run off and personally take care of this matter? If his girlfriend finds out he lied and wants to dump him, so what? He's not planning on sticking around here much longer, he's got to return to his country. For him to give the girlfriend situation a higher priority than overseeing the ransom of the President's spouse is beyond ludicrous. It's hard to take any part of the storyline seriously when stuff this stupid is happening. This season is quickly approaching the "beyond saving" point for me, sadly.
+1. like he couldn't send anyone to get rid of a handicapped old lady. anything else would've been more believable. even cougars. renee telling moss about jack killing the ss agent was funny as hell. even when jack is innocent nobody believes him. how dare the president even question jack. he only helped all the previous presidents and nailed the corruption of president logan. it's like asking a hooker if she has sex. no doubt.
Old 02-10-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think Billy Walsh is the mole, not because it would be too obvious, but because he had a wife on board a plane and had to pretend to be Moss to get that plane priority landing. I think he would've known in advance if he was the mole and could've just prevented his wife from using the plane period.

Great episode though, really loving this season.
Old 02-10-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
+1. like he couldn't send anyone to get rid of a handicapped old lady. anything else would've been more believable. even cougars. renee telling moss about jack killing the ss agent was funny as hell. even when jack is innocent nobody believes him. how dare the president even question jack. he only helped all the previous presidents and nailed the corruption of president logan. it's like asking a hooker if she has sex. no doubt.
I can buy Dubaku doing the deed himself, maybe wanting to know exactly what kind of information she had. Besides, some shit already went out of hand with his flunkies.

What I find hard to buy, is that there are moles in the White House, yet it's ok for everyone connected with Madam President at the White House to know about Jack, Renee and Bill. You know at some point, that shit's gonna get leaked out.
Old 02-10-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm with devilshalo on this one. Dubaku blending in with society and getting a girl? Fine. Taking care of business on his own? Sure why not, but when Jack & Co. arrive at the White House by way of secret entrance they must have ushered in 3-4 different aides that saw them.
Old 02-11-09, 05:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I really don't think Billy Walsh is the mole, not because it would be too obvious, but because he had a wife on board a plane and had to pretend to be Moss to get that plane priority landing. I think he would've known in advance if he was the mole and could've just prevented his wife from using the plane period.

Great episode though, really loving this season.
Past series of 24 have ignored logic when determining who the mole was

You can go back through any past season and backtrack the actions of the mole and so many things don't make sense if they were the mole all along
Old 02-11-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay so first of all I thought this was the best episode of the season. Lots of great Jack stuff. "Ask around" was simply perfect.

But if I may nitpick, jokingly, for a bit...

* Relationship Dubaku is simply absurd. Even when wheelchair lady called him up and said "I'm not telling anyone, just stop dating my sister" I thought "Okay, done! Easy out. The end to this nonsense." But no, he has to go "take care of her". Just ridiculous. Cougar ridiculous.

* I loved the whole "countdown to dude crossing some invisible line and therefore being untouchable on an army base" or something with FBI guy actually counting down the seconds to Jack. Also in that scene I loved how Jack was casually mentioning side streets in DC. I know he's been in DC before, but we're like 17 years in the future and he's been in DC today for 6 hours...

* Is anyone with me that Tony's not done this season, but also not done in a way we don't want? No one checked his "brother" to confirm he was dead, he was the only one who investigated the CIP device and immediately declared it was destroyed... he'll be back, and in some shitty way where he and Jack have each other at gunpoint.

* I think universally we all made some kind of Tim Meadows/Ladies Man joke when they revealed that guy.
Old 02-11-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Also in that scene I loved how Jack was casually mentioning side streets in DC. I know he's been in DC before, but we're like 17 years in the future and he's been in DC today for 6 hours...
So Jack stepped off a plane and into the hearing right before the season started? No. He's been in DC a while, likely a month or so waiting on his hearing.
Old 02-11-09, 09:18 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So Jack stepped off a plane and into the hearing right before the season started? No. He's been in DC a while, likely a month or so waiting on his hearing.
Plenty of time to investigate side streets when he went clubbing with Dubaku.
Old 02-11-09, 11:13 AM

Hate the Dubaku relationship storyline, wonder how they'll develop it further.
Old 02-11-09, 11:48 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

The Dubaku subplot is cougar bad...but it was a decent idea if done right.

FBI clowns not that bad this week.

Honestly if this show wants to go on another season, drop the terrorist stuff, drop the moles in the government and drop the silly sub plots. Put Jack on the run and have people hunting him...perfect way to end it.
Old 02-11-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by macnorton
Honestly if this show wants to go on another season, drop the terrorist stuff, drop the moles in the government and drop the silly sub plots. Put Jack on the run and have people hunting him...perfect way to end it.
No worries about that...even though the ratings are down a bit, it's consistently finishing in the top 20 shows every week. I expect it to return for at least one more season (before moving on to feature films).
Old 02-11-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I thought season 8 is already a done deal and anything more is what's up in the air.
Old 02-11-09, 02:24 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Sorry missed something there...I meant if this show was to keep me going with it....not if it would come back...since that was already a done deal
Old 02-11-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21

* I loved the whole "countdown to dude crossing some invisible line and therefore being untouchable on an army base" or something with FBI guy actually counting down the seconds to Jack. Also in that scene I loved how Jack was casually mentioning side streets in DC. I know he's been in DC before, but we're like 17 years in the future and he's been in DC today for 6 hours...
In season four its mentioned that Jack had been working in DC with Heller before coming back to LA
Old 02-12-09, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by mhg83
In season four its mentioned that Jack had been working in DC with Heller before coming back to LA
I was going to say that...he'd probably know DC a bit if he worked for the Secretary of Defense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.