Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Big Love : "Prom Queen" - 2/1/09

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: Big Love : "Prom Queen" - 2/1/09

Sometimes, when they're not onscreen much but are being discussed, I get Wanda and Rhonda confused. Wish they used names that didn't rhyme for those two fucked up girls.

I'm sure you were supposed to think Margene would vacuum up those ashes. The point is that even though she hated her mom, she couldn't do that.

Please tell me nobody SERIOUSLY thought they'd see Ben put the moves on his own sister.

As much as I love the Sarah character, I still have a hard time believing someone as mature and responsible as her would have unprotected sex. It seems out of character, though I know teenages aren't always great decision-makers in real life.

My wife got a kick out of that closing music -- Alphaville's "Forever Young" was her senior prom song.
Old 02-03-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
So Wandas' suicide plan was to float and hold her breath?
Wanda's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Old 02-03-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've said this every season that this show's been on, but it really is the best show on TV. Episodes like Sunday's prove it.
Old 02-03-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
As much as I love the Sarah character, I still have a hard time believing someone as mature and responsible as her would have unprotected sex. It seems out of character, though I know teenages aren't always great decision-makers in real life.
Considering her background Sarah likely was never taught about condoms. She was probably taught abstinence and heard somewhere that if you do it doggie-style, you can't get pregnant.

Even mature and responsible girls can be ignorant.
Old 02-03-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Great episode.

I also wondered if Sarah and Ben were going to get more than chummy. I'm glad they didn't go for the shock value, but I have to believe they purposely set it up that way to make us wonder. It was kinda creepy.

The reveal on Nikki was good, but I always wondered about her relationship with her father. I got the incest vibe in the 1st season (or was it the 2nd season?) when Bill walked in on Nikki and Roman laying on the bed talking.

I really think they're trying to hint that incest is a possibility at Juniper Creek, much like we hear in similar real-world scenarios.

Oh, and Sarah is fucking hot. I see that Amanda Seyfried will be in Atom Egoyan's next film. That could be a very interesting career move for her.
Old 02-03-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Timber
Wanda's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
More of a cry for help/attention than anything.
Old 02-03-09, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Coral
Great episode.

I also wondered if Sarah and Ben were going to get more than chummy. I'm glad they didn't go for the shock value, but I have to believe they purposely set it up that way to make us wonder. It was kinda creepy.

The reveal on Nikki was good, but I always wondered about her relationship with her father. I got the incest vibe in the 1st season (or was it the 2nd season?) when Bill walked in on Nikki and Roman laying on the bed talking.

I really think they're trying to hint that incest is a possibility at Juniper Creek, much like we hear in similar real-world scenarios.

Oh, and Sarah is fucking hot. I see that Amanda Seyfried will be in Atom Egoyan's next film. That could be a very interesting career move for her.
Maybe she'll enter the Mia Kirshner phase of her career.

As for the incest angle, I don't think Roman is capable of that. Whatever his sins, he has always been a conscientious family man; it was clear that he was genuinely hurt and surprised when Alby turned on him last season. It would demean the show to make its chief villain a caricatured child-rapist, and I don't want to see the writers taking that route.

Alby taking advantage of Nicki when they were adolescents would work. Come to think of it, any of the men on the compound other than Roman could've done something like that.
Old 02-05-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, this show is amazing. I really think this show is just as dense as The Wire was, as there is just so much shit going on at any given time. Thankfully the writers are adept at juggling all of the storylines.

I am continually amazed that a show that is about what Big Love is about could be so damn captivating.
Old 02-05-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if this has been reported here, but a well deserved renewal for Season four has been announced.

From E! online:

Yay! Network sources confirm that HBO's wonderful family drama Big Love has just been renewed for a fourth season. Currently in the midst of season three, the tale of a devout polygamist family living in the Salt Lake City suburbs is one of the network's marquee series.

Want to know what this pickup means for the fans? I've got the exclusive word from cocreators Will Scheffer and Mark V. Olsen...

Mark and Will gave us this statement about the good news:

We couldn't be happier. We love making this show and we love our collaboration with HBO. They've truly been maligned in the press this year. If you show me a better network to work with I'll eat our DVD collections.

Mark and I want to tell our fans we're still truly sorry for the long wait last year. We promise two things. As season three continues they'll forget about the time they waited and get caught up in our best season ever. And we also swear we won't make them wait as long next year. Mark and I insist on making a better show each year, so we won't ever stint on quality, but we're trying to be better faster.

Last edited by meritocracy; 02-05-09 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-05-09, 06:57 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news! I'm surprised they renewed it so early in the season.
Old 02-05-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good to hear. Big Love is the reason we recently added HBO. We'd watched the DVD's for the first 2 seasons and there was no way we could wait another year to get season 3!
Old 02-06-09, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just caught up on this series. A really wonderful show, it's taken me by surprise. And I agree, this episode was fantastic. There were pretty heavy developments in all the major storylines, and all the characters were great.

I really appreciated the score in this episode as well. Someone already mentioned the closing scene, but a lot of the piano scores throughout the episode really heightened the impact many scenes had.

I was surprised to see Barb's mother take an active step towards reconciliation. I really, really want someone to shoot her sister though.
Old 02-07-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Good ep. I think Big Love may feature some of the scariest and mentally unstable Females on TV. I mean shit, between Rhonda, Bill's Mom, Barb's Sister, Nikki's Mom, Nikki(at times), and last but in no way the least....Wanda...who can sleep without one eye open around these women?

I don't get all the Ana/dating Ana hate and impatience. Clearly the Hendersons are trying to do things "the right way" when it comes to her and just adding her as a wife, just like that, would not work. But whatever, I seriously doubt she'll end up being a 4th anyway.
Old 02-07-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I like Ana and I don't mind the potential 4th wife drama. I don't think it will happen because I don't think the show can support 4 wives.
Old 02-07-09, 01:27 PM

^ Awesome news about the 4th Season.

I don't mind the Ana storyline. I don't think it'll last too much longer, though.
Old 02-07-09, 11:01 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Ana storyline just on the level that I like seeing the actual "process" of trying to add another wife. It's never something we got to see with Bill's other 3 wives.

I don't really want a 4th wife added, though.
Old 02-08-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I keep waiting for Nikki's boss to hit on her. Isn't he the guy that was in The Office in the earlier seasons at corporate?
Yes Chip Esten. Funny guy - he was semi-regular on 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'