DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/548188-did-sarah-silverman-program-get-cancelled.html)

OldBoy 01-19-09 11:19 AM

Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled?

I just can't believe they went through their season already. i was watching (don't remember how many eps), but it couldn't have been over...could it?

pinata242 01-19-09 11:21 AM

Re: Did "The Sarah Silverman Program" get cancelled?

CC is weird like that. They'll show half seasons every 6 months. The wiki page says it hasn't been renewed for season 3 yet, but hasn't been cancelled.

Elpresidentepez 01-19-09 11:28 AM

Because of the writers strike the last set of episodes were actually part of season 2. I went to the comic con panel in 07 and i believe the brake was planned, but it wasn't supposed to be as long.

riley_dude 01-19-09 12:25 PM

Hmm. I wonder when we will get more episodes.

Gizmo 01-19-09 01:26 PM

IIRC, it got renewed as CC told the SS Show to start producing all of their new episodes in HD instead of SD. I missed the second run (after the writers strike) because it moved to a different night/time.

MovieMaster11 01-20-09 06:03 AM

This show is hilarious. Brian Posehn is a god.

intern623 01-22-09 12:59 PM

Laura Silverman from the "Sarah Silverman Program"

Hey if you guys are in the LA area, Laura Silverman will be hosting an improv show at iO West Theatre in Hollywood. You should check it out! Maybe we'll see Sarah there!!! The show is Monday, January 26, 2009, at 9pm
iO West Theatre
6366 Hollywood Blvd,
LA, CA
west.ioimprov.com

Chaza 01-22-09 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9208917)
IIRC, it got renewed as CC told the SS Show to start producing all of their new episodes in HD instead of SD. I missed the second run (after the writers strike) because it moved to a different night/time.

You don't recall correctly, I post at a comedy message board that Steve Agee posts at, and he said that they are waiting to hear from CC. He also mentioned that Amy Sedaris is waiting to hear from them about Strangers with Candy, so it may be a while.

Ron G 01-22-09 11:45 PM

Re: Laura Silverman from the "Sarah Silverman Program"

Originally Posted by intern623 (Post 9216308)
Hey if you guys are in the LA area, Laura Silverman will be hosting an improv show at iO West Theatre in Hollywood. You should check it out! Maybe we'll see Sarah there!!! The show is Monday, January 26, 2009, at 9pm
iO West Theatre
6366 Hollywood Blvd,
LA, CA
west.ioimprov.com

Laura would be more than enough for me. I find her strangely attractive.

theflicker 01-23-09 08:26 AM

Re: Laura Silverman from the "Sarah Silverman Program"

Originally Posted by Ron G (Post 9217674)
Laura would be more than enough for me. I find her strangely attractive.

I feel oddly the same way. So long as her hair is down.

Giles 01-23-09 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMaster11 (Post 9210344)
This show is hilarious. Brian Posehn is a god.

Brian is awesome, but Steve Agee is also hysterical

Chaza 02-13-09 02:44 PM

Sarah was on the Greg Fitzsimmons show last week and said that Comedy Central picked it up for another season, but they still haven't written anything, so it might be a while.

DJariya 03-02-09 02:00 PM

I don't watch this show, but this article is a bad sign for anyone who is a fan. Even $850K an episode sounds kind of pricey for this type of show. A 20% budget cut is pretty damn huge though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...656bcf69d8d262

The economic downturn is jeopardizing "The Sarah Silverman Program," one of Comedy Central's signature series.

The show's executive producers -- Silverman, Dan Sterling and Rob Schrab -- have threatened to quit after the cable network told them the budget for their series would be slashed by more than 20%.

More than two months after "Sarah Silverman" ended its second season, the show has yet to be renewed for Season 3. (In 2007, the second-season pickup came 11 days after the series' premiere.)

At the center of the holdup is the proposed budget for Season 3. Citing cuts imposed on the network by parent company MTV Networks, Comedy Central had proposed that the trio bring back the WGA Award-nominated show at about $850,000 an episode, sources said, down from the $1.1 million an episode for the show's second season.

In broadcast, single-camera comedies are produced for about $1.5 million-$2 million an episode, and the budget for any series normally climbs from year to year.

"Sarah Silverman" is a single-camera comedy that also features animated sequences and musical numbers.

The contracting ad market during the recession is hitting networks hard. MTV Networks' parent Viacom in December laid off 7% of its work force, though Comedy Central largely was spared because it had been through the ringer following the 2003 acquisition of Time Warner's 50% ownership in the network and had little left to cut.

Amid the economic woes, ABC Studios and 20th TV asked all of their showrunners to cut 2% of their series budgets. The proposed budget cut on "Sarah Silverman" is more than 10 times that.

Concerned they won't be able to maintain the integrity of the show at the discounted price, Silverman, on behalf of the three executive producers, informed the network late last week that they can't proceed with a third season. The move reportedly sent shock waves through Comedy Central's executive offices, with top brass jumping into action to find a budget compromise that would keep the flagship live-action series on the air.

As of Friday night, the situation remained at a standstill. Both sides continued their back-and-forth during the weekend.

A resolution is expected as early as today, and people familiar with the situation were optimistic that the two sides would agree on financial terms to bring back the show.

OldBoy 03-02-09 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 9300419)
I don't watch this show, but this article is a bad sign for anyone who is a fan. Even $850K an episode sounds kind of pricey for this type of show. A 20% budget cut is pretty damn huge though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...656bcf69d8d262

sad. 2 shows gone in 1 day for me!

pinata242 03-02-09 02:05 PM

The show can be a little extravagant at times, but I can't imaging that anything they've done so far, including guest spots (that I usually thought were done as favors) would come close to 850k anyway.

Gizmo 03-02-09 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9300426)
sad. 2 shows gone in 1 day for me!

It's not gone yet.

OldBoy 03-02-09 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9300513)
It's not gone yet.

i guess with such short seasons, in my mind it is already there...

Giles 03-02-09 02:50 PM

-pray-

Goldberg74 03-02-09 05:10 PM

I guess she's #$@&-ing the wrong people.

wmansir 03-02-09 06:04 PM

I agree that I can't see where the money is going on this show. I'm sure Silverman makes a big chunk, but I can't see any of the 4-5 regulars getting huge paychecks per episode, and if they are I'm sure they would gladly take a 20% paycut to keep the work coming.

Also, is TSSP really a "flagship" program for CC? I guess when you only have 3 original programs each one is a flagship.

Chaza 03-02-09 07:54 PM

Steve Agee just posted that there will be 10 more episodes, so hooray!

Giles 03-03-09 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Chaza (Post 9301252)

:bdance:

Gizmo 03-03-09 10:02 AM

Good! CC still has the sting from Chapelle on their hands (even though I hated it). Glad to see Sarah back.

OldBoy 03-03-09 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chaza (Post 9301252)

do we know when?

Chaza 03-03-09 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 9302479)
do we know when?

Not for a while, I'm sure, as they have to write and film them still.

sb5 03-03-09 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9302351)
Good! CC still has the sting from Chapelle on their hands (even though I hated it). Glad to see Sarah back.

I wonder what kind of state Comedy Central would have been in these days had Chapelle not bolted and they actually had to pay him the gigantic sums of money they offered. Granted, Chappelle had a pretty big audience, but still, the cost of his deal would have probably put CC in an even worse place than they are now.

DRG 03-03-09 02:20 PM

It seems that the problem is the quirky stuff - the "animated sequences and musical numbers". Personally I could care less if they cut that because it's my least favorite element of the show (I enjoy it mainly for Silverman's crude, arrogant, psychotic persona) but I respect their position in wanting to stick to their guns.

mrpayroll 03-03-09 05:55 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090303/tv_nm/us_silverman

Gay TV channel saving "Sarah Silverman"

By Nellie Andreeva
2 hrs 23 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – "The Sarah Silverman Program" will be back for a third season on Comedy Central, following the resolution of four-day day standoff over planned budget cuts.

The cable channel has ordered a 10-episode season of its signature live-action series, which will now be co-financed with gay-oriented sister cable network Logo.

"We're happy," Silverman said. "All we ever wanted was just to make our show. Nothing fancy -- just our show."

It's a happy ending to a drama that threatened to make "Sarah Silverman" the first major primetime casualty of the economic crisis after the cable network was forced to slash the budget of the series by more that 20% and its executive producers refused to continue at those terms.

"Things were tough on Friday and over the weekend," said Comedy Central's president of original programing Lauren Corrao, who headed the network's efforts to keep "Sarah Silverman" on the air. "We very much wanted the show, we just couldn't come to an agreement for a budget that was acceptable and uncompromising to the producers and that we could afford."

Like every other entertainment company, Comedy Central's Viacom parent has imposed companywide belt-tightening measures. As a result, Comedy central proposed picking up "Sarah Silverman" at an $850,000-per-episode budget for Season 3, down from $1.1 million for Season 2.

Concerned that the drastic reduction won't allow them to keep the integrity of the single-camera comedy, which incorporates animation and musical numbers, Silverman and her fellow executive producers Dan Sterling, Ron Schrab and Heidi Herzon declined the offer.

In a surprising twist, Corrao came up with the idea early on Monday to share "Sarah Silverman" with another Logo, which caters to gay, lesbian and transgender viewers.

She called former Comedy Central executive Marc Leonard, now a senior exec at Logo.

After discussing the idea for several hours, Logo's brass called up their Comedy Central counterparts to tell them they wanted to be part of the show.

Details on how the financial responsibility and the window sharing will be divided between the two partners are still being worked out, but sources said with the combined financing, "Sarah Silverman" will have a budget a tad higher than last season's $1.1 million per episode.

Logo has run Comedy Central shows before, including animated series "Drawn Together," but this the first time the two networks are involved in co-financing a series together.

In broadcast TV, NBC made a similar arrangement with DirecTV last year to bring back critically praised but low-rated drama "Friday Night Lights."

Logo is looking to capitalize on Silverman's strong appeal among women and gay men. Additionally, two of the main characters on the show, Sarah's neighbors Brian (Brian Posehn) and Steve (Steve Agee), are a gay couple.

Logo aired two episodes of "Sarah Silverman" in the summer as part of its NewNowNext awards show weekend when the Comedy Central series won in the best show you're not watching, beating such heavy hitters as AMC's "Mad Men."

"Sarah Silverman's" writing team is expected to begin work shortly. The show's third season, which will get a cross-promotional support on both Comedy Central and Logo, is eyed for a premiere in the first quarter of 2010.

The story started off as a possible grim example of the effects of the deep recession on high-end primetime series.

But in the end, "It was all about our love for Sarah and the show, which we couldn't allow to get off the air, and about getting as creative as possible with financing in the tough economic environment," Corrao said.

(Editing by Dean Goodman at Reuters)
Chris

Gizmo 03-03-09 06:00 PM

Very interesting.

MasterCXtreme 03-03-09 09:50 PM

I really want to smoke pot with Sarah Silverman.

For now, I guess I'll keep watching the show.

Giles 03-04-09 09:40 AM

oh come on Logo?? wonder how much of the raunch they'll let fly, Logo censors more than Comedy Central does.

dino88 03-04-09 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9304828)
oh come on Logo?? wonder how much of the raunch they'll let fly, Logo censors more than Comedy Central does.

It will still be airing first on CC. Kind of like how G4 is airing Lost and Heroes after their original broadcasts.

Giles 03-04-09 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by dino88 (Post 9305477)
It will still be airing first on CC. Kind of like how G4 is airing Lost and Heroes after their original broadcasts.

oh good, was worried there for a sec.

skatefan20 03-04-09 11:26 PM

Up and down second season, but yay to more dry sheets, ice cream, and jelly beans!

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9305536)
oh good, was worried there for a sec.

Was also thinking they struck a deal similar to the DirecTV/FNL airings.

riley_dude 11-26-09 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme (Post 9304199)
I really want to smoke pot with Sarah Silverman.

For now, I guess I'll keep watching the show.

So do I. When does this come back??

kstublen 11-26-09 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude (Post 9856841)
so do i. When does this come back??

02/04/10

riley_dude 11-26-09 11:16 AM

Thank you.

wmansir 05-13-10 01:15 PM

UPDATE: Yes.

Sarah Silverman's show axed by Comedy Central

NEW YORK (AP) - On her Comedy Central show, Sarah Silverman got drunk on cough syrup, mocked the abortion rights debate and seduced none other than God.

That's all over now.

The network says "The Sarah Silverman Program," which recently ended its third outrageous season, won't be back for a fourth.

Inspired by Silverman's persona as a standup comic, the scripted show featured her as a flighty, self-consumed slacker living in the fictional town of Valley Village.

Audience erosion was deemed the main reason for canceling the show.

pinata242 05-13-10 01:23 PM

That's too bad. It was one show that constantly kept me guessing and laughing. I especially loved the one where Brian and Steve make a baby.

Dan 05-13-10 01:25 PM

I haven't seen any of Season 3, and only about half of Season 2, but I did really enjoy the show.

Loved the Tab episode.