Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Unit -- "Switchblade" -- 12/21/08 -- Did anyone watch this?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Synopsis (if it's still sitting on your DVR):

Spoiler:

Jonas and the team trick an arrogant Department of Defense official, who jeopardized a previous mission due to his lack of field experience, into joining them on an assignment so he will observe war up close and personal. Back at home, Kim is secretly reunited with her kids.

Did anyone watch this on the 21st? I totally forgot about it and saw it was recorded on my DVR and watched it last night. Out of all the episodes that have aired this season, this was by far the worst. I didn't understand the point of having Michael McKean's character tag along on the mission. He was total dead weight. What was Jonas trying to prove other than their missions are tough and people die? The mission itself to rescue that President was pretty boring.

The plot with Mr. Grey and the blonde was probably the lamest I have ever seen this show concoct. Okay, so he hangs out with her a few hours and he's smitten and wants to be with her and marry her, but Barry Corbin says no.

For what is otherwise a solid season for The Unit, this was a really bad episode.
Old 01-01-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Not the best, may have even seemed like filler.

But it wasn't terrible, and it is probably starting one or two arcs we don't fully appreciate yet.
Old 01-01-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw it, didn't like it. But the season has been great so far.
Old 01-01-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah.. it was a pretty poor episode.
Old 01-01-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I stopped watching this when every other episode would be messed up by football. The max I could pad was 15 minutes.
Old 01-01-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the subplot with Grey was a little silly (wants to marry her? already? WHAT?), but I'm glad he got some ample screentime during the ep. And better that than something with the wives. Less for me to have to FF through.
Old 01-02-09, 04:31 PM

Hell ya I caught it. Great episode! Any episode written by David Mamet is a good one.

Originally Posted by OldDude
But it wasn't terrible, and it is probably starting one or two arcs we don't fully appreciate yet.
I agree, they did seem to be building up to something.

I also love Michael Mckean, and the carry over of his character/plot to the next episode was very cool. Like Ricky Jay in season 2, I think we'll see more of Dr. Donald Metz fucking with 303rd Logistical Studies Group.
Old 01-02-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya

Spoiler:

Jonas and the team trick an arrogant Department of Defense official, who jeopardized a previous mission due to his lack of field experience, into joining them on an assignment so he will observe war up close and personal. Back at home, Kim is secretly reunited with her kids.

Did anyone watch this on the 21st? I totally forgot about it and saw it was recorded on my DVR and watched it last night. Out of all the episodes that have aired this season, this was by far the worst. I didn't understand the point of having Michael McKean's character tag along on the mission. He was total dead weight. What was Jonas trying to prove other than their missions are tough and people die? The mission itself to rescue that President was pretty boring.

The plot with Mr. Grey and the blonde was probably the lamest I have ever seen this show concoct. Okay, so he hangs out with her a few hours and he's smitten and wants to be with her and marry her, but Barry Corbin says no.

For what is otherwise a solid season for The Unit, this was a really bad episode.
The point was that McKean's character told them that he had been in the mix and had handled a weapon and that made him as bad as they are, he also kept telling them how to do the previous mission and just pissed Jonas and the Unit off, he also lied about the other team that went in and did not tell them that there was a man left behind.
Old 01-03-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya

Stranger things have happened. My now wife was a distant acquaintance (friend of a friend) that wanted a little vacation so I told her to come down to Orlando and I'd take her to the parks. She left 4 days later and I called my parents and said "I'm going to marry that girl". Two years later I did *shrug*.

Granted she didn't turn out to be the heiress to an airplane empire like Grey's girl appears to be, so I didn't get any resistance from Barry Corbin .
Old 01-03-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget that his best friend and teammate just died (and he got shot on a suicide mission) and then got a speech about seizing-the-day when this girl that looks perfect to him shows up. I'm thinking this is how he picked to cope and process everything. I understand it is pretty common for soldiers to do this sort of impulsive gesture of love bit.