Friday Night Lights -- "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" -- 12/17/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" -- 12/17/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Saracen continues to struggle caring for his grandmother as her mental health rapidly deteriorates. Lyla is still dealing with the reality that her father gambled away her college fund when she learns she has been accepted to Vanderbilt, the college of her dreams. Tyra and Landry become closer as they plan Mindy's bridal shower together and despite a well-played game Friday night, tensions between J.D. and his father reaches a boiling point.

2 more episodes left after tonight!
Old 12-17-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
2 more episodes left after tonight!
I don't want to think about it.

This is also the last episode until January 7th.
Old 12-17-08, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My DVR once again didn't pick this one up, just a heads up.
Old 12-17-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aktick
My DVR once again didn't pick this one up, just a heads up.
You probably need to re-set your season pass. Delete the current one and search for the show again. I did this a few weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-17-08, 08:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DJariya
You probably need to re-set your season pass. Delete the current one and search for the show again. I did this a few weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Ironic that this is the only show I've ever had a season pass problem with on my DirecTV DVR.
Old 12-17-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know I sound like a broken record.. but I'm gonna say it again:
Outstanding episode.

Everything... from Matt's continuing problems w/ Grandma to Tyra trying to give her classless sister a classy shower to Buddy Garrity going to Tim Riggins for advice to the possible redistricting to JD's crazy assed father... it was all outstanding.
Old 12-18-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
While I liked the conflict btwn J.D. and his father, it seemed strange that his father was blaming J.D. for throwing the ball rather than running in the slop. He's not calling his own plays out there.

at the boosters' redistricting meeting.
Old 12-19-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Another fantastic episode.

If anything, I thought the conflict between JD and his father was really disturbing. The scene where he started beating the shit out of him was really tough to watch, but it was very well done.

I was never really a fan of Lyla and Riggins, but they have really grown on me as a couple. His character has really grown and matured and I enjoyed how he didn't think about only himself and showed support for her.

I sincerely hope that all the fans who don't have Directv will be watching this on January.
Old 12-19-08, 06:20 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i thought the JD and his father storyline would have been a bit more of a slow burn

seem to escalate quite dramatically rather quickly

i'm sick of Matt's grandma

kill off the senile bitch !
Old 12-19-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
i thought the JD and his father storyline would have been a bit more of a slow burn

seem to escalate quite dramatically rather quickly

i'm sick of Matt's grandma

kill off the senile bitch !
They only have 13 episode.. they don't have time for a slow burn.
Who knows if it's coming back for next season.

Matt's Grandma is the best part of the show! Come On! She's the best!

We all need to write to Dtv and tell them how thrilled and happy we are that we were given these 13 episodes.. and beg them for 13 more.
W/ Leno going primetime next season, the chances of FNL coming back for a 4th season is now much lower.
Go to the Dtv website and click on Contact and send them an email expressing your gratitude. And pray that the ratings are half way decent on NBC.
Old 12-19-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good episode, but kind of a letdown after last week (which i thought was one of the top 2 or three best episodes of the series).
Old 12-20-08, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Riggins grew up a bit after watching Street become a man in his quest to become a provider for his family, so it's just natural that he's become much more supportive of Lyla in her time of distress. Plus, Riggins calmly dressing down Buddy was a nice scene.

The eruption by JD's father was hinted at from his very first appearance, the classic high-strung father of a QB-wunderkind, living vicariously through his son's talent and exploits. He probably was modelled after Todd Marinovich's father in some respects.

It was weird that there was no Julie in this episode.

Can't believe this season is almost over, and would hate to see this show go the way of the doodoo.
Old 12-20-08, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flynn
Good episode, but kind of a letdown after last week (which i thought was one of the top 2 or three best episodes of the series).
Couldn't agree more. Sure their were a lot of good scenes, especially Tyra and her mother, but something wasn't clicking. It still is better than any other drama on TV.
Old 12-30-08, 04:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Seems like they are setting up a fourth season with rivaling schools...if we get a fourth season
Old 12-30-08, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Seems like they are setting up a fourth season with rivaling schools...if we get a fourth season

Well... In order to get a fourth season, one needs to watch the third season on NBC.. unless I'm not watching enough NBC (which is very possible) I haven't seen ONE commercial telling me when the third season of FNL starts on NBC.
Not one.
Since November, I've seen commercials everyday for 24 and LOST.. and I know when Fox's new show "Lie to Me" is starting. But, I have NO idea when NBC is planning on airing FNL.
Shameful.

Of course, I know that it's staring on 1/16.
Old 12-30-08, 11:36 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to be pessimistic, but now with Jay Leno planning to eat up 5 hours of NBC primetime next season, I doubt that FNL is going to survive without a massive ratings surge. This is exactly the type of show (ratings-wise) that's going to be thrown out; it may have had somewhat of a chance before, but NBC is going to have to toss out more shows that are on the bubble now.

I hope I'm wrong...
Old 12-31-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
I hate to be pessimistic, but now with Jay Leno planning to eat up 5 hours of NBC primetime next season, I doubt that FNL is going to survive without a massive ratings surge. This is exactly the type of show (ratings-wise) that's going to be thrown out; it may have had somewhat of a chance before, but NBC is going to have to toss out more shows that are on the bubble now.

I hope I'm wrong...

I totally agree with you.
Leno coming to primetime = Not good news for FNL.
I wonder if Dtv would/could do it all by themselves?
Old 12-31-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know can Directv afford to pay for 13 episodes all by themselves? I'm sure they could, but whether it's financially beneficial to them is another story. I wonder how much they are getting from Vaseline since they are the primary sponsor.

Realistically, I think the NBC airings will be lucky to get 4-5M viewers a week.
Old 12-31-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
^^ Yeah, plus I have to wonder how many people who would have watched it on NBC (like me) will no longer be tuning in because they have already seen it on Direct.

Meanwhile, I'm just mad because Direct's OnDemand doesn't have the last 2 episodes up yet. I'm dying to see those!
Old 12-31-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing is .. we need Nielson participants to watch..the ones that are wired up.. not the ones doing the journals.

Maybe Dtv could air w/ commercials?
Old 12-31-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
What are they going to do with the numbers from DTV? I've been watching it on there, I'm not going to rewatch them on NBC.
Although relatively commercial free, I would think the DTV numbers would have to be considered. There's no doubt DTV knows exactly how many viewers there are (go to the "Active" channel and you can see who's watching what).
Old 12-31-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
What are they going to do with the numbers from DTV? I've been watching it on there, I'm not going to rewatch them on NBC.
Although relatively commercial free, I would think the DTV numbers would have to be considered. There's no doubt DTV knows exactly how many viewers there are (go to the "Active" channel and you can see who's watching what).
I thought I read somewhere that Dtv is extremely happy with their numbers.. and it all depends on how well it does on NBC.

I'm not familiar with the "Active" channel.. where exactly is that?
Old 12-31-08, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
FNL feels like more of a cable drama to me anyhow. Murdoch owns DTV and FOX right? Seems like it fits in perfectly as a F/X drama.
Old 12-31-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
FNL feels like more of a cable drama to me anyhow. Murdoch owns DTV and FOX right? Seems like it fits in perfectly as a F/X drama.
Directv is now owned by Liberty Media. Murdoch sold it to them 2 years ago along with FSN Pittsburgh, Northwest and Rocky Mountain.

Since FNL is produced by Universal Media Studios (NBC-owned) it would probably make more sense for it to be a USA network show.
Old 12-31-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 870 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I'm not familiar with the "Active" channel.. where exactly is that?
Certain receivers have interactive channels:
Just press ACTIVE on your remote control to get instant access to weather, horoscopes and lottery results.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.