Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Self Made Man" -- 12/1/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by groovrbaby
The governor getting shot was Cameron's mental image of what was to happen Dec. 31 (or Jan. 1?), 2010, when the governor was scheduled to make an appearance, reopening the building. (The same way she didn't actually "see" him robbing the banks and trashing that guy's car)
I don't think it was a "mental image". Remember, Cameron comes from the future and the events of Dec. 31, 2010 are in her past. She knows what happens that night. So it's probably her remembering what happened rather than a mental image.

I think that one of her missions in coming back was to thwart that assassination. As to the importance of the assassination, I'm sure we'll find out in a future episode.
Old 12-02-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
why not go back to the 1900's and kill off Sarah's great, grandparents or something?
From the first Terminator movie:

"Most official records were lost in the war. The computer knew almost nothing about Connor's mother. Her name. Where she lived, just the city. No scanner pictures."

So it's fair to say that based on that, the machines simply don't know much more about John Connor's family tree. I suppose they could send Terminators back to 2000, research the Connor family tree, build another time machine, and go back *again* and kill grandma and grandpa...
Old 12-02-08, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Flave
Largely a filler episode but it was cool to see how Cameron spends her nights.

Anyone else think it would have been really cool (seeing as they're in California) if they had used Schwarzenegger as governor iso of some fictional governor?
An Arnold appearance would have totally been awesome, but I think there's something in the FCC rules prohibiting fictitious assasinations of real-life figures.

I also really liked that fact that the T-888 would build the building where he was supposed to kill the governor once he realized he had stopped the project. It's the most straight line solution to the problem.

As for the preview.......

Spoiler:

It looks like Carlos Jacott appears in next week's episode.

FIREFLY reunion!!!

Last edited by ckw4b; 12-02-08 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-02-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would have made no sense to have Arnold appear in this show as the Governor of California. Don't forget, this takes place in the same universe that first two Terminator movies...where Arnold was a Terminator.
Old 12-02-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ckw4b
An Arnold appearance would have totally been awesome, but I think there's something in the FCC rules prohibiting fictitious assasinations of real-life figures.
I wasn't thinking of an actual appearance -- just using his real-life name on the show would have been cool enough. Just show his back using a stunt double for the assassination scene.

But yeah, I guess that FCC rule makes sense.
Old 12-02-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
The show got a 5.83 Rating last night, higher than the 4.6 rating from last week or the 5.1 rating from two weeks ago.

I really hope the show's quality continues to build momentum and increase in the ratings.
Old 12-02-08, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gmanca
The show got a 5.83 Rating last night, higher than the 4.6 rating from last week or the 5.1 rating from two weeks ago.

I really hope the show's quality continues to build momentum and increase in the ratings.
That is really good news. I thought last week's decrease largely had to do with the fact that it was the start of a major holiday.

Let's hope they can push above the 6 million viewer mark!
Old 12-02-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really dug the Cameron plot, John and Riley ENOUGH!!! Though part of my thought John was going to totally destroy that kid at Gears of War due to all his military training Was very cool to see the whole wrong year angle. Can't wait to see where this leads, I definitely dug it.
Old 12-02-08, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
From the first Terminator movie:

"Most official records were lost in the war. The computer knew almost nothing about Connor's mother. Her name. Where she lived, just the city. No scanner pictures."

So it's fair to say that based on that, the machines simply don't know much more about John Connor's family tree. I suppose they could send Terminators back to 2000, research the Connor family tree, build another time machine, and go back *again* and kill grandma and grandpa...
Or do the research, seal themselves up in a hole somewhere, wait until judgment day, then deliver the info to Skynet.

But then this week's terminator had enough info to know to assume the ambitions of some random person he accidentally killed 90 years before his mission date to ensure his mission could be fulfilled.

Still, I liked this episode.
Old 12-02-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
so, what all has cameron been researching?
Old 12-02-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So when Cameron went back and the guy wasn't there are we to believe he either killed himself (like she asked him about) or died or went to the hospital or something? The girl that answered the door implied she was like a last second fill in.
Old 12-02-08, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
So when Cameron went back and the guy wasn't there are we to believe he either killed himself (like she asked him about) or died or went to the hospital or something? The girl that answered the door implied she was like a last second fill in.
My guess is that he probably made an appointment with his oncologist and then took some time off from work.
Old 12-02-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ditto on the Cameron love and Riley hate.

Originally Posted by SteelWill
Or do the research, seal themselves up in a hole somewhere, wait until judgment day, then deliver the info to Skynet.

But then this week's terminator had enough info to know to assume the ambitions of some random person he accidentally killed 90 years before his mission date to ensure his mission could be fulfilled.

Still, I liked this episode.
He didn't know for sure, and neither do we, but he knows his arrival altered the time line and the father's declaration that the property would never be developed was most likely a result of that alteration.

I imagine it was important for him to kill the Gov at that exact time and place because creating his own very successful development company, destroying the original developer's company, robbing a string of banks and killing dozens of citizens and cops was probably more risky to his mission than just waiting until the day got closer and seeing where the even was relocated to.
Old 12-02-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally Posted by wmansir
Ditto on the Cameron love and Riley hate.

He didn't know for sure, and neither do we, but he knows his arrival altered the time line and the father's declaration that the property would never be developed was most likely a result of that alteration.

I imagine it was important for him to kill the Gov at that exact time and place because creating his own very successful development company, destroying the original developer's company, robbing a string of banks and killing dozens of citizens and cops was probably more risky to his mission than just waiting until the day got closer and seeing where the even was relocated to.
haha..good point. There are always problems with time stories. I really try not to pick it apart too much because there are always problems.
Old 12-03-08, 01:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOVED this ep. My second favorite behind last season's finale.

I don't think I've ever watched a show that is so uneven in quality...seriously, one week I'm just rolling my eyes in disgust at the abysmal writing, and a couple of weeks later I'm absolutely glued to the TV as I was tonight.

(This ep. validated what I"ve felt all along, that Summer Glau is by far the best thing about the series, followed by the sorely underused Derek.)
Old 12-03-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the three dots were going to be involved when Cameron was talking about the stars and figuring out the date. Like the three dots could mean a date in time.
Old 12-03-08, 07:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I thought the three dots were going to be involved when Cameron was talking about the stars and figuring out the date. Like the three dots could mean a date in time.
That's how I saw it as well. The three dots represent a specific date.
Old 12-03-08, 08:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the date idea -

but without precision instruments, how could a guy dying and writing in his own blood - draw the exact position of 3 stars at a specific date, taking into consideration scaled down distance and multiple angles?
Old 12-03-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I like the date idea -

but without precision instruments, how could a guy dying and writing in his own blood - draw the exact position of 3 stars at a specific date, taking into consideration scaled down distance and multiple angles?
I took it as though maybe he didn't know the significance either, but knew the symbol was important. So he made the symbol closest as he could.
Old 12-03-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by gmanca

I'm not sure that that's a reflection of the show building momentum as much as it is a reflection that "Dancing With The Stars" is off the air.

I feel sorry for anyone whose first taste of the show was Monday's episode - it was one of my least favorites. I didn't think it was particuarly interesting, and had virtually nothing to do with the ongoing story arc.
Old 12-03-08, 12:04 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
... had virtually nothing to do with the ongoing story arc.
That we as yet know. There were hints, perhaps, that some of the set-up would tie into some of the threads in other episodes. Then again, I may be giving the writers too much credit.
Old 12-03-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
It was a slow ep but I like this series so I was still entertained. I'm always fascinated by T's putting themselves in sleep mode for extended periods for a mission. I also agree that John or preferably Cameron needs to put a bullet in Riley's head.
Old 12-03-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It was a slow ep but I like this series so I was still entertained. I'm always fascinated by T's putting themselves in sleep mode for extended periods for a mission. I also agree that John or preferably Cameron needs to put a bullet in Riley's head.
Eh..she is annoying but just the fact that she is from the future and what her mission is is interesting enough.
Old 12-03-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I guess I'm in the minority because I thought this episode was mixed at best. The John/Riley was excruciating and I just wasn't that interested in the flashbacks. I missed Derek and Ellison, though I'm glad Derek's bad acting girlfriend wasn't around.
Yeah, she looks like a muppet and gets out-acted by Pamela Anderson, but she's got a smoking bod.
Old 12-03-08, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I agree both Riley the actress and Riley the character suck. I really missed Derek, Ellison and Sarah in this episode. I know Sarah was in it, but if you blinked you missed her. I mean, this is "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," right? Not "The John Connor Chronicles." Or "The Cameron Chronicles." Or "90210." Or "One Tree Hill." Or "Felicity." Or "Dawson's Creek." Puh-leaze. Keep the teeny-bopper shit out of Sarah's chronicles.
I like how you say you really missed Sarah and hated that there was too much of other people, but then you also say you missed other people as well. This would be boring if it was JUST Sarah. Sarah only works because of the others she knows.

Secondly, this show is ACTUALLY titled TERMINATOR. Therefore, it is a LITTLE bit about Cameron, or IS "The Cameron Chronicles". TSCC is just the subtitle. As is Sarah.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.