Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles -- "Self Made Man" -- 12/1/08

Terminator: TSCC

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Cameron's nightly activities are revealed; a Terminator from the future arrives at the wrong point in history.

Old 12-01-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once again I loved part of the episode and hated the other part. I hate Riley and hope she dies very soon. She is the worst person and the show and brings nothing to the table, as an actress or a character. The only good part about the John and Riley part was seeing John man up and beat the crap out of that stupid guy. Other than that, not one interesting thing happened regarding John.

The stuff with Cameron was VERY good and I enjoyed it a lot. I think it was interesting to see a Terminator that got sent back too far, messed up history, and had to then take the place of the guy he accidentally killed. I don't know who that Governor Target was, but it was cool to see him waiting in the wall and Cameron calculate where he would have hid himself.

Also I liked seeing Cameron interacting with another person outside of the Connor Clan. She seemed to tread a fine line between caring for the guy and using him to find out whatever information she needed. She seemed to not want him to die from the cancer, but didn't really know how to express it. And while she was talking about suicide and it may have been in regards to his illness, I couldn't help but think she was also talking a little about herself and how she is somewhat aware that she is close to human, but not. I dunno exactly, but her developing feelings and such is a great aspect of this story.

Although where were Derek and Ellison this time around? And was Sarah even in the episode at all?
Old 12-01-08, 09:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
yes, Sarah was in the pivotal laundry basket scene
Old 12-01-08, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haha oh yeah! That was the corner stone of this episode, lol.

But seriously, why did they even have John and Riley in this episode? Aside from him beating that kid, there was absolutely no point to their storyline. Unless we are supposed to assume they had sex, in which case Riley's mission to drive John away from Cameron seems to be working. Regardless, I think they could have accomplished that in a little more interesting fashion.
Old 12-01-08, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't Riley say her real parents died in a fire and she likes to take shiny objects? Maybe her real parents died in the speakeasy fire and she took that shiny piece of metal mentioned in the news story.

I like these Cameron-centric stories but they really need to bring Riley into the fold soon. It's getting annoying.
Old 12-01-08, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Again, another episode that adds to a string of solid to great ones.

The Cameron stuff is great because surprisingly Glau does the deadpan stuff pretty well. Was it just me or did she semi-frown when John was up the stairs?

I hope some things come to a close before the hiatus because the next episode looks like another one-off. Something to notice is that the chip was not shown after Cameron presumably took it out so that Governor may have been a Machine Ally.
Old 12-01-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I give this episode a
Old 12-01-08, 11:27 PM

I loved this episode.

Cameron had great chemistry with the guy in the wheelchair which caused me to become insanely nervous because I thought she was going to kill the guy after he finished helping her. It was quite a surprise to see her try to bond with the guy by telling him that his cancer had returned. I mean WTH?

I also really enjoyed the flash back scenes. I really enjoyed watching Cameron figuring out the puzzle of the Terminator who was sent back to the wrong time. The scene where she found him bricked up in the wall was a huge shock to me.

As for Riley, the faster she eats a bullet, the happier I will be.
Old 12-01-08, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I agree both Riley the actress and Riley the character suck. I really missed Derek, Ellison and Sarah in this episode. I know Sarah was in it, but if you blinked you missed her. I mean, this is "The Sarah Conor Chronicles," right? Not "The John Conor Chronicles." Or "The Cameron Chronicles." Or "90210." Or "One Tree Hill." Or "Felicity." Or "Dawson's Creek." Puh-leaze. Keep the teeny-bopper shit out of Sarah's chronicles.

I enjoyed the scenes from 1920, but in the end what was the point of this story? Why would the T-888 want to kill the Governor? How does this story connect with the current storyline? How did Cameron know Wheelie's cancer had returned? Specifically, how did she know there was a tumor in his arm? Does she have x-ray vision like Superman? Is it because she weighed him when she picked him up? What did she compare today's weight to? Wasn't today the first time she picked him up?
Old 12-01-08, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe

I enjoyed the scenes from 1920, but in the end what was the point of this story? Why would the T-888 want to kill the Governor? How does this story connect with the current storyline? How did Cameron know Wheelie's cancer had returned? Specifically, how did she know there was a tumor in his arm? Does she have x-ray vision like Superman? Is it because she weighed him when she picked him up? What did she compare today's weight to? Wasn't today the first time she picked him up?
I don't think the 1920 scenes had anything to do with the main story. My guess is that they were just used to justify having a Cameron-centric episode.

No clue why the Triple 8 wanted to kill the CA governor, but if I were to fan wank, I'd guess that the governor somehow interfered with Skynet's future domination.

As for the wheelchair guy, it was clear that she'd been spending alot of time with the guy so she probably noticed just from his face that he was beginning to lose weight. She knew the cancer was in his right arm when he winced when she grabbed his arm.
Old 12-02-08, 02:01 AM
Banned

I thought the guy was faking it at first. Looked like he used his legs as leverage to get up into the chair when he fell. Plus, he was asking a lot of questions about John and Cromartie.
Old 12-02-08, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This show has really grown on me. Enjoyed this episode, but last week's was really rock solid.
Old 12-02-08, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Solid episode with the exception of Riley.

The 1920's scenes were really well done. However, I'm a little confused at the point of the T-888's mission. I know he was sent to the wrong time period, but what was his objective in the 1st place?

I really liked the scenes with Cameron and the wheel chair guy. That is probably the most dialogue I've seen Summer Glau recite on the show. That was really cool when Cameron put the pieces together and located Myron Stark (T-888) in the Pico tower behind the brick wall.

I noticed a flash forward scene where some man gets shot in 2010. Was that the Governor you all are talking about?
Old 12-02-08, 05:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
absolutely brilliant episode. loved it.

I agree, Riley is like a lead weight. kill her off NOW.

Of course, this begs to differ, but, after a few failed attempts at killing Sarah Connor/John Connor, why not go back to the 1900's and kill off Sarah's great, grandparents or something?
Old 12-02-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
That was really cool when Cameron put the pieces together and located Myron Stark (T-888) in the Pico tower behind the brick wall.

So he shot and killed the guy on the stage, and then just shut down for 80 years? If so, who sealed him into the wall?
Old 12-02-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad the CA governor wasn't the real CA governor. We get our Ah-nold cameo, yet not in the way we were expecting.
Old 12-02-08, 07:21 AM

The governor getting shot was Cameron's mental image of what was to happen Dec. 31 (or Jan. 1?), 2010, when the governor was scheduled to make an appearance, reopening the building. (The same way she didn't actually "see" him robbing the banks and trashing that guy's car) The T-888 appeared on the correct date, but on the wrong year. Because of what happened during the speakeasy fire, he took the life of Myron Stark to make sure the building would be built, but he disappeared 2 weeks before the original completion of the Pico building. It's assumed that he put himself in the wall 80 years ago, with the machine gun, in preparation for his actual arrival date.
Old 12-02-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by groovrbaby
The governor getting shot was Cameron's mental image of what was to happen Dec. 31 (or Jan. 1?), 2010, when the governor was scheduled to make an appearance, reopening the building. (The same way she didn't actually "see" him robbing the banks and trashing that guy's car) The T-888 appeared on the correct date, but on the wrong year. Because of what happened during the speakeasy fire, he took the life of Myron Stark to make sure the building would be built, but he disappeared 2 weeks before the original completion of the Pico building. It's assumed that he put himself in the wall 80 years ago, with the machine gun, in preparation for his actual arrival date.

Oh, I guess that makes more sense.
Old 12-02-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great ep, Interesting that Cameron goes off on her own little missions at night completely unbeknown to the the others. But it would seem counterproductive to her primary objective of protecting John though. I would imagine she would want to guard him when he is at his most vulnerable (sleeping). Sort of like Arnold in T2 standing at the Gas Station window all night long with the shotgun.
Old 12-02-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
absolutely brilliant episode. loved it.

I agree, Riley is like a lead weight. kill her off NOW.

Of course, this begs to differ, but, after a few failed attempts at killing Sarah Connor/John Connor, why not go back to the 1900's and kill off Sarah's great, grandparents or something?
because it's too much risk that it will change things to the point where skynet will never be invented
Old 12-02-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
Great ep, Interesting that Cameron goes off on her own little missions at night completely unbeknown to the the others. But it would seem counterproductive to her primary objective of protecting John though. I would imagine she would want to guard him when he is at his most vulnerable (sleeping). Sort of like Arnold in T2 standing at the Gas Station window all night long with the shotgun.
My guess is when her chip was damaged, Cameron began to develop other goals and feelings, and become more human (independent).
Old 12-02-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Loved the Cameron story, hated that Rylie crap.
Old 12-02-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I liked this episode, but was the research supposed to be done all in one night?

If so - it would have been more plausible if the library kid was doing research on the builder and Cameron happened to see the picture. This would explain how they could piece everything together between midnight and 5am.
Old 12-02-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I liked this episode, but was the research supposed to be done all in one night?

If so - it would have been more plausible if the library kid was doing research on the builder and Cameron happened to see the picture. This would explain how they could piece everything together between midnight and 5am.

Assuming the laundry basket that night and the one she was holding when John dragged his sorry ass in in the morning are the same, yes. When she returns to the library and finds the girl substituting, it is not clear if that was the next night or some later night.
Old 12-02-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Largely a filler episode but it was cool to see how Cameron spends her nights.

Anyone else think it would have been really cool (seeing as they're in California) if they had used Schwarzenegger as governor iso of some fictional governor?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.