0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Gabon - Earth's Last Eden - 11/13/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patrix
I'm surprised that it never occurred to Bob that Sugar's got the idol.
I think he do, that is why he made a fake one. Also, they probably edited it out.
Old 11-14-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by patrix
Randy and Corrine will never try to vote him off, so why would he need to show them his fake idol?
If he tries to make a move to the other side, his fooling Randy and Corinne will show the others that he is willing to switch and play along with them. Also, it gives Randy or Corinne a false sense of security which may lessen their trying to scheme. If they think that Bob has the idol and will give it to whichever of them is the target, they may think that they will have the power as their 3 votes would be the only ones that count at TC.
Old 11-14-08, 11:27 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
No, what turned the game around was the stupid tribe switch that effectively punished the successful players and rewarded the sucky players. It's the same thing that got Michelle eliminated a few seasons ago. Everyone on Fang from day 1 was a bad, irrational player, and now those people are rewarded instead of picked off one by one.
I'll go against the grain and agree with you. It's like the first part of the game was meaningless at this point.

As for the fake immunity idol, do they know that there is only one? Wasn't there a season a little while back where there were a couple of immunity idols?
Old 11-14-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
As for the fake immunity idol, do they know that there is only one? Wasn't there a season a little while back where there were a couple of immunity idols?
They usually replace it when one has been used (or lost - if voted out). So yeah - who's to say that they couldn't put 2 in play at once. Plus Bob's may look more convincing than the real one - can't remember what the real one looked like.
Old 11-14-08, 11:53 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Plus Bob's may look more convincing than the real one - can't remember what the real one looked like.
Bob may get a new career out of this making idols for Survivor.
Old 11-14-08, 11:56 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Jeff's Blog again

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008...-b-1.html#more
Old 11-14-08, 12:05 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Thanks. There is some good stuff there. One reason I like Jeff (from the blog):

"Personally, I'm just so glad I'm perfect and have no issues whatsoever to deal with. I'm kidding. And while I'm at it, yes I read the comments you leave at EW.com, and yes, I know many of you think "Probst sucks." Whatever.
Man I love this blogging. Cheapest therapy yet."

Apparently he agrees with me about Bob's new career:

"My final observation: Bob should work in the Survivor art department because the fake immunity idol he made is incredible. Truly beautiful. Still not exactly sure how he pulled it off but there had to be a bit of smelting going on and I don't even know what smelting means! His students back home in Maine should be proud! "Ole teach" is working it and the merge has given Bob new life!"
Old 11-14-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz

Bob needs to make a move and cut ties with the 2 assholes. I think he still has a shot if he can get in with some people, maybe Matty and Sugar.
Besides making the fake idol, they haven't shown anything that Bob has done in terms of strategy or building relationships. He basically just votes with Charlie and Corrine (and Marcus). He is such a non-entity that Randy even replaced him in the pecking order on the alliance with Marcus, Corrine, and Charlie. Having said that he is more likable than Randy or Corrine so with this potential jury, they would probably give the money to him over any of the Fang members so he is a much larger threat then the abrasive Randy or the mean-girl Corrine.

Last edited by chowderhead; 11-14-08 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-14-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by chowderhead
Besides making the fake idol, they haven't shown anything that Bob has done in terms of strategy or building relationships. He basically just votes with Charlie and Corrine (and Marcus). He is such a non-entity that Randy even replaced him in the pecking order on the alliance with Marcus, Corrine, and Charlie. Having said that he is more likable than Randy or Corrine so with this potential jury, they would probably give the money to him over any of the Fang members so he is a much larger threat then the abrasive Randy or the mean-girl Corrine.

It's called laying low. Plus the less abrasive and less vocal types are always given less airtime.
Old 11-14-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Bob seems like a pretty sharp guy. He may be able to figure out something. He also seems like a nice guy, so I'm not sure conniving and lying are something he will actually do.
Old 11-14-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I really hope Randy leaves soon.
Old 11-14-08, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim
I'll go against the grain and agree with you. It's like the first part of the game was meaningless at this point.
I generally agree - most seasons I hate seeing the best physical competitors (the people I would classify as the best "survivors") knocked out by poor performing people who have the numbers - but this season most of those better physical competitors have been too pompous or flat out jackasses for me to root for them.
Old 11-14-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
No, what turned the game around was the stupid tribe switch that effectively punished the successful players and rewarded the sucky players. It's the same thing that got Michelle eliminated a few seasons ago. Everyone on Fang from day 1 was a bad, irrational player, and now those people are rewarded instead of picked off one by one.
I agree that was big, like the producers were desperate to stir things up. But if Matty loses that challenge, he gets voted out and Kota probably would have kept the numbers.
Old 11-15-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 236 Likes on 140 Posts
It seemed obvious to me the last tribe switchup was something the producers added on the fly because of how the game had gone. The holding your hands up endurance challenge was obviously designed to be an individual immunity, and since those things take time to build, it seemed clear that the merge was supposed to happen after the feast, not an episode later.
Old 11-16-08, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 180 Posts
I'm surprised no on mentioned it, but I like how they did the fake out with the music during the vote reading. 4 Crystal votes and for the next one they played the "cya" music for the briefest of moments then switched back.
Old 11-16-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I'm surprised no on mentioned it, but I like how they did the fake out with the music during the vote reading. 4 Crystal votes and for the next one they played the "cya" music for the briefest of moments then switched back.
Well, obviously it wasn't going to be the eliminating vote read then. They never read all of the eliminating votes first and none of the opposing votes. Only occasionally do they not read all the votes, and it's usually when there's an overwhelming majority, and we knew this was not an overwhelming majority.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They usually replace it when one has been used (or lost - if voted out). So yeah - who's to say that they couldn't put 2 in play at once.
We just had 2 HII's in play in this very game! It's just that they threw the 2nd one into the ocean. So, I think Bob could pass off his fake idol as a not-improbable 2nd idol.
Old 11-16-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd B.
Well, obviously it wasn't going to be the eliminating vote read then. They never read all of the eliminating votes first and none of the opposing votes. Only occasionally do they not read all the votes, and it's usually when there's an overwhelming majority, and we knew this was not an overwhelming majority.
But he is right that this was the first time they have ever played the "high-pitched note that always happens before the deciding vote" before a vote that was not the deciding vote.

This was also the first time I can remember where they did not alternate the votes as the were revealed, when (like you said) there was not an overwhelming majority.
Old 11-16-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,033 Likes on 851 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
But he is right that this was the first time they have ever played the "high-pitched note that always happens before the deciding vote" before a vote that was not the deciding vote.

This was also the first time I can remember where they did not alternate the votes as the were revealed, when (like you said) there was not an overwhelming majority.
Yep, both of these were unusual fakeouts, even if none of us were buying it
Old 11-16-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Yep, both of these were unusual fakeouts, even if none of us were buying it
I bought it.

Old 11-16-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
I guess I'm the only one who likes Randy. Sure, he's an asshole, but I don't have to live with him, and I find him very entertaining. On the other hand, I don't like Kenny, Susie, and especially the insufferable Crystal.
Old 11-17-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm rooting for Randy because he's going to do it as politically incorrect as possible, and that's fun to watch. Don't know if he'll either burn out in the next couple of tribal councils, or go the distance as being the guy you want to be up against in the finals.
Old 11-17-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
thanks for posting the link! i look for it in this thread each week now so your effort is appreashiated
Old 11-17-08, 12:40 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bob may be too nice. He needs to play the game. Likeable or no, the players who coast should get booted. This year the most annoying players -- Randy and Crystal -- also happen to be among the better players. I'm liking this Gruesome Twosome for the final two. We might even get to see Survivor's first homicide if they're left alone together.
Old 11-17-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crystal is among the better players?
Old 11-17-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zuffy
Crystal is among the better players?
You better not be disrespectin' her.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.