The Shield -- "Party Line" -- 11/4/2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Shield -- "Party Line" -- 11/4/2008

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Dutch and Claudette acquire a new ally in the department's effort to take down Vic. Meanwhile, Vic tries to manipulate the situation with Pezuela, ICE, and Aceveda. Ronnie ponders whether he should give up fighting and leave.

Only four new episodes left!
Old 11-04-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The end draws near for Vic.
Old 11-04-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Thanks for starting this rfduncan.

With election night, I totally spaced out that this was on tonight.
Old 11-04-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Hoooly SHIT. Things are really coming out in the open....next week can't come soon enough.
Old 11-04-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Another solid episode. Can't wait to see where we go from here.

On another note, I'm surprised that there still hasn't been any mention of Danny since she took off.
Old 11-04-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's it, Vic is done. Even he can't escape the web that started in the very first episode. When Ronie suggested that they run, I thought Vic was going to take him out just like Shane took out Lem.

Those scenes with Shane, Mara & Jackson in the empty house were surreal. Like any other happy family.
Old 11-04-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
DAMN IT...I gotta go catch the re-run later tonight!
Old 11-05-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This show has been consistently been about Vic getting out of these tangled webs... I'm torn between this setting up to close the show on the greatest escape thus far or make the statement that things eventually catch up to you.

I thought originally Ronnie & Vic would catch Shane and then Ronnie would shoot Vic to come full circle from the first show. Now I'm thinking Ronnie runs, gets caught and seeing he is going down no matter what takes one for Vic and Vic walks away and puts Shane down.

Does anyone else think Claudette is going a little rogue with her pursuit of Vic and will end up getting burned by it?
Old 11-05-08, 02:39 AM

Call me crazy, but i dont see a happy ending for this greatest of tv shows.
Old 11-05-08, 08:58 AM

Party Line

So this was a new episode? I couldnt find it on Itunes yet and couldnt watch it last night...... I checked the tv listings and it says that it is a different episode on later this week....

Can anybody help me out and confirm that the 11/4 episode was not a repeat?

thanks,
Old 11-05-08, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was not a repeat but a new episode. My DVR didn't catch it for some reason and I had to set it to manually record about 5 minutes prior to it airing. Weird because the listing for this ep even mentioned it was NEW.

Don't worry, you can catch it on a repeat sometime during the week. Just check FX's website for airings.

Regarding the ending...

I've heard it mentioned that the final shot will be a definitive ending to this series but some fans may not like it. I'm calling it now--

The final scene will be prison cell doors closing on Vic and Ronnie as Antoine Mitchell stares at them from across the prison floor in his own cell. His growing smile will be apparent and the absolute final shot will be the look of growing horror on Vic's face.
Old 11-05-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Vic went for broke trying to get Acevada out and himself in, and it backfired. Now Claudette & Dutch are onto him, Corrine's turned on him, and he's painted into a corner big time.

I knew the gangstas were going to take the whole bag of cash, and now Shane's screwed too. I hate to say it, but Claudette's play on Maura was smooth and will probably work.

Just amazing the way they're bringing things to a crescendo (and nice there was no "other" case they were working on).
Old 11-05-08, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uteotw
I knew the gangstas were going to take the whole bag of cash, and now Shane's screwed too. I hate to say it, but Claudette's play on Maura was smooth and will probably work.
I thought the end indicated that it didn't work. Like she considered it for 3 or 4 seconds.
Old 11-05-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
I thought the end indicated that it didn't work. Like she considered it for 3 or 4 seconds.
Thats what I thought.

If she wanted to do that she would have when Shane told her to go and turn herself in.
Old 11-05-08, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Thats what I thought.

If she wanted to do that she would have when Shane told her to go and turn herself in.
Shane may still tell her to do it, a little act of redemption on his part. The part about the kids being taken by the state and no deals for Maura if they're caught on the run may have been enough to change her mind. Guess we'll know their fate soon enough...
Old 11-05-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Great episode.

The scene with Aceveda beating the shit out of Pezuela was classic!

I also really liked the final scene with the phone calls between Maura and Corinne and Vic and Shane. Some really intense stuff.

BTW, the series finale will be 90 minutes.
Old 11-05-08, 12:27 PM

Vic went for broke trying to get Acevada out and himself in, and it backfired. Now Claudette & Dutch are onto him, Corrine's turned on him, and he's painted into a corner big time.
I don't see how it backfired - he now has Pez talking to Olivia, and she said that she would make a call to her superiors after Vic's comment about having inside info on the cartel guy's money laundering plan. What I don't buy is that Pez seems to be stalling about cooperating, and without the Feds providing a fake cover story about his suicide, the cartel guy will know that he is still alive.

I hate to say it, but Claudette's play on Maura was smooth and will probably work.
Claudette was hoping that Mara would contact her in secret, but Mara spilled the beans that Corrine is working with the cops, so that plan would only work if Cletus tells her to go to save herself and the kids. Since he supposedly already sent a letter to Claudette, the thing he should do is just vanish. I don't understand why he is waiting on the motorcade and why that would allow him to get out of town - he has been grocery shopping and getting takeout, why can't he hit the highway?
Old 11-05-08, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by n.phelge
I don't see how it backfired - he now has Pez talking to Olivia, and she said that she would make a call to her superiors after Vic's comment about having inside info on the cartel guy's money laundering plan. What I don't buy is that Pez seems to be stalling about cooperating, and without the Feds providing a fake cover story about his suicide, the cartel guy will know that he is still alive.
Vic tried to get Aceveda out of the picture completely so he (Vic) would be their #1 guy, and instead of cowering away, Aceveda beat the dude up. Clearly this is not what Vic wanted, so it backfired in that sense, though Vic is still trying to do his usual damage control to try get out this, though that just seems to be getting more and more unlikely...
Old 11-05-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cletus is waiting for the motorcade because most of the nearby cops will be pre-occupied with it, and it leaves an opening for him to drive his family out of town.
Old 11-05-08, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Cletus is waiting for the motorcade because most of the nearby cops will be pre-occupied with it, and it leaves an opening for him to drive his family out of town.
I understand the concept, but he has already:
  • Been to the ER and was seen by officers that did not recognize him.
  • Gone grocery shopping (came in with supplies for burgers while Mara was swimming).
  • Went somewhere to purchase a police scanner.
  • Stopped somewhere for takeout (where he was recognized by the guys who knew of the bounty).

I would just think that the coverage on the roads can't be that complete, and those odds would be better than continuing to drive around town.
Old 11-05-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to say it... I think Ronnie is gonna turn on Vic.
Old 11-05-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
damn, this is getting intense.
Old 11-05-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope not, I like the bond that Ronnie and Vic have.
Old 11-05-08, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

I think Vic would prefer that over Shane getting to call the shots. At this point, I don't think Vic would consider it outright betrayal and would understand why Ronnie tried to save himself. Plus, Ronnie could try to warn him about what's going down since he'd be in the loop.

I hope Billing's interference plays a role in what goes down - Claudette & Dutch are usually such great actors in the interrogation room but they blew it with Billings. I agree that this is likely to blow up in Claudette's face since she's making this so personal. She & Corrine are so focused on nailing Vic that they could care less about what Shane's (allegedly) done. Claudette can't make any kind of deal with a cop killer.
Old 11-05-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
And to add to that, Claudette's superior was also reluctant to the plan. If Claudette tries to go all out on Vic, the superior might step in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.