The CW plans on remaking "Melrose Place" [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The CW plans on remaking "Melrose Place" [MERGED]

Oh man

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...l-develop.html

Based on the ratings success of the rebooted "90210," the CW network is developing a redo of "Melrose Place" for the 2009-10 season.

Last year, Creative Artists Agency, which manages the late producer Aaron Spelling's estate, originally approached the CW with the idea of developing either "90210" or "Melrose Place" for the then-struggling network. Because the CW's target audience is 18- to 34 year-old women, the network (along with CBS Paramount, the studio) opted for a new "90210," as The Times' Maria Elena Fernandez reported over the summer.

As we now know, "90210" attracted intense interest from nostalgic fans, who were particularly concerned with what actors from Fox's "Beverly Hills, 90210" might return. So far, Jennie Garth, Shannen Doherty and Joe E. Tata have reprised their old roles.

Expect the same hysteria to surround a new "Melrose," the '90s phenomenon that starred Heather Locklear, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Josie Bissett and Marcia Cross.

The "Beverly Hills, 90210" spinoff was launched in 1992, with Grant Show's character, Jake, bridging the gap between the two shows. At first, its creator, Darren Star, wanted the show about twentysomething neighbors in a Los Angeles apartment complex to be a realistic portrayal of struggling Angelenos. But when audiences weren't enthusiastic about that, Locklear entered the show, and it became a full-blown nighttime soap, with evil plots, wig-wearing villains and backstabbing siblings.

With the character of Matt, as played by Doug Savant, "Melrose" also had one of the first unapologetically gay characters on a prime-time drama. (Matt's same-sex kiss in the Season 2 finale was, however, famously censored.)

Savant is busy on "Desperate Housewives," as is Cross. Kristin Davis has moved on to the "Sex and the City" franchise. Locklear is having troubles, but would surely be welcomed back by fans.

Who would you most want to see on a new version of "Melrose"?
Old 10-28-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The CW developing Melrose Place remake for next fall

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/10/...ng-cw-dev.html

Andrew Shue, call your agent.

A spokesperson for The CW confirms what has been buzzed about for months: The network is developing an update of Melrose Place. Details remain sketchy, but it's believed Melrose 2.0 would launch next fall.

The move comes as The CW has enjoyed some measure of success with its 90210 reboot. Despite modest ratings, the show has brought attention to the struggling network at a time when it sorely needs it. The suits no doubt figure a Melrose rebirth will generate another round of mass hysteria. (And they'd be right!)

Earlier this month, Darren Star, who created both Melrose and 90210, admitted to TVGuide.com that a Melrose resurrection "would be a fun thing to do. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened -- if it can be put together in the right way."
Old 10-28-08, 07:46 PM
Suspended

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/542...ose-place.html

1 Minute baby!
Old 10-28-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Oh, I'm so there.

Please bring back Laura Leighton
Old 10-28-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
hmm, i guess the dupe topic starter didnt notice this one when he posted it 1 minute after you.
Old 10-28-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I think 90210 has been pretty good so far and it's been a nice break from the reality shows so bring on MP and more hot girls.
Old 10-28-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read the ratings for the 90210 version 2 dropped after the first show. I don't think there should be more remakes. Bionic Woman, Knight Rider, American Gladiator are other shows that didn't need to be remade at all. Original ideas, people.
Old 10-29-08, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Considering most of the original cast is in their mid-late 40's, I can't see them approaching many of them to do this re-make especially since the CW's demographic is Teens and young adults in their early 20's.

I think they may bring 1 or 2 of the originals in cameos or guest spots but I anticipate an entirely new and young cast of fresh faces.
Old 10-29-08, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ooh, I can't wait for the remake of Models, Inc.
Old 10-29-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Considering most of the original cast is in their mid-late 40's, I can't see them approaching many of them to do this re-make especially since the CW's demographic is Teens and young adults in their early 20's.

I think they may bring 1 or 2 of the originals in cameos or guest spots but I anticipate an entirely new and young cast of fresh faces.
You could most certainly have someone like Michael being the chief of medicine or something.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea, but the CW is likely to snap it up faced with a Smallville-sized hole in their line up next season.
Old 10-29-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horrible idea.
Old 10-29-08, 05:24 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Haven't they really screwed the continuity by having Rob Estes play a totally different character on the new 90210. They should have had the foresight to have him play the same character who changed his life around into a family man

It is a horrible idea because it was the chemistry of the original cast which made Melrose place.
Old 10-29-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It looks like the CW is definitely more interested in the soapy side of things. I just read an article in the San Francisco chronicle about how the CW is attempting to make a High School set, broadcast friendly version of "Queer as Folk"
Old 10-29-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lets hope they don't cute Supernatural's budget again like they did when they greenlit 90210 remake.
Regarding the original Melrose. It was good for like the first 4 years and then all the originals started leaving. At the end, the only one left was Amanda.
Old 10-29-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
I don't see how the original cast could be worked in the show to make sense. Especially if the show will be about a new 20-something cast.

Lets hope they don't cute Supernatural's budget again like they did when they greenlit 90210 remake.
Hopefully some crappy shows from this year will be canceled to keep them from cutting in to SN budget.
Old 03-02-09, 03:09 PM

Re: The CW plans on remaking "Melrose Place" [MERGED]

http://blog.zap2it.com/korbitv/2009/...ose-place.html

Exclusive: Is Mischa Barton Moving In To Melrose Place?

By Korbi Ghosh
March 02, 11:30 AM

We haven't seen Mischa Barton on TV since Twilight star Cam Gigandet ran Marissa Cooper off an O.C. road a few years back, but it could just be a matter of time. An industry insider tells me that Mischa is testing for a role on The CW's Melrose Place remake today, saying the network is very excited about her.

No surprise, as they had originally wanted Barton to play Gossip Girl's Georgina Sparks, a part that eventually went to Michelle Trachtenberg. Seems M.B. is more interested in the idea of depicting an adult TV character.

And you? Are you into the idea of an all grown up Barton back in your living room every week? I think it's a good move for the show. While old school Melrose fans will probably tune in for the new series' first episode, younger viewers who are more familiar with The O.C. may watch because of Mischa.

If she does in fact land the role, she will go to work with Greek's Michael Rady who was cast as Jonah Miller, an aspiring filmmaker, last week. His character is said to be a lot like the original show's Billy, played by Andrew Shue.

No word on which veteran Melrose character Mischa might be emulating. Marcia Cross' crazy Kimberly maybe?!
Chris
Old 03-02-09, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Misha does not bother me like she bothers others here.
Old 03-09-09, 12:15 PM

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-as...,3584288.story

Ashlee Simpson-Wentz invades 'Melrose Place'

Actress will play a small-town girl trying to make it big in LA

March 9, 2009

Watch out, "Melrose Place" residents. The new girl is not all that she seems.

Ashlee Simpson-Wentz will continue to build her acting resume as a cast member of the upcoming CW reboot of "Melrose Place."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Simpson-Wentz, 24, will play Violet, a seemingly sweet but savvy small-town girl now in LA who is harboring a secret. Already, the industry has drawn parallels to the original series' Sandy Harling (Amy Locane), a Southern belle with acting aspirations.

Simpson-Wentz joins the already cast Katie Cassidy as Ella Flynn, a stylish publicist, and Michael Rady as aspiring filmmaker Jonah Miller.

Before pursuing a music career, Simpson-Wentz broke out on TV as Cecilia Smith on "7th Heaven." After a detour to film in "Undiscovered," she returns to television with husband Pete Wentz for a guest-starring turn on "CSI: NY" as Bonnie-and-Clyde wannabes on March 18.
Chris
Old 03-09-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd totally nail Katie Cassidy, but Simpson on the other hand, I wouldn't even nail onto a crucifix. Oh wait, maybe I would..
Old 04-06-09, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Laura Leighton (aka Sydney Andrews) will be returning to Melrose Place as a recurring character. She will be taking over Heather Locklear's old role as the landlord.

If you watched Melrose back in the day, you should know that Sydney died.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...5c172ec5d3419b

After weeks of speculation about who if any of the original "Melrose Place" cast members might drop in on the CW's new "Melrose Place," Laura Leighton has joined the CW pilot as a recurring.

She will reprise her role as the irresponsible and scheming Sydney Andrews, one of the most popular characters on the Fox series.

In the dramatic fifth-season finale of "Melrose Place" in 1997 – and Leighton's last episode on the show -- Sydney was run over by a car on her wedding day in a near-fatal accident.

While she was presumed dead for the rest of the Fox series, she now is back at Melrose Place, and while the script is being kept under wraps, sources said she would be the landlord to the new crop of tenants.

Leighton's casting on CW's "Melrose" is reminiscent of the CW's tapping of "Beverly Hills, 90210" alumna Jennie Garth to reprise her role on the new "90210."

Leighton's two-episode stint on the original "Melrose Place" in 1993 was her first acting gig. It led to a full job on the series for four years.

On "Melrose," Leighton also met her husband, co-star Doug Savant, now on ABC's "Desperate Housewives."

After finishing her contract on "Melrose Place," Leighton recurred on "Beverly Hills" alongside Garth.

Leighton, who next stars in Hallmark Channel's movie "The View From Here," is repped by APA and Untitled. Laura Leighton moving back to 'Melrose Place'Original series co-star reprising role as scheming SydneyBy Nellie Andreeva
April 5, 2009, 08:37 PM ET
RelatedMore pilot news
After weeks of speculation about who if any of the original "Melrose Place" cast members might drop in on the CW's new "Melrose Place," Laura Leighton has joined the CW pilot as a recurring.

She will reprise her role as the irresponsible and scheming Sydney Andrews, one of the most popular characters on the Fox series.

In the dramatic fifth-season finale of "Melrose Place" in 1997 – and Leighton's last episode on the show -- Sydney was run over by a car on her wedding day in a near-fatal accident.

While she was presumed dead for the rest of the Fox series, she now is back at Melrose Place, and while the script is being kept under wraps, sources said she would be the landlord to the new crop of tenants.

Leighton's casting on CW's "Melrose" is reminiscent of the CW's tapping of "Beverly Hills, 90210" alumna Jennie Garth to reprise her role on the new "90210."

Leighton's two-episode stint on the original "Melrose Place" in 1993 was her first acting gig. It led to a full job on the series for four years.

On "Melrose," Leighton also met her husband, co-star Doug Savant, now on ABC's "Desperate Housewives."

After finishing her contract on "Melrose Place," Leighton recurred on "Beverly Hills" alongside Garth.

Leighton, who next stars in Hallmark Channel's movie "The View From Here," is repped by APA and Untitled.
Old 04-06-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Laura Leighton (aka Sydney Andrews) will be returning to Melrose Place as a recurring character.