Search this Thread

Old 11-08-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't forget the next episode today!
Old 11-08-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Entertainment Weekly did a nice article on this show in last weeks issue, hailing it as the the return of the syndicated tv show. I wouldn't call it that until we see a revival of Baywatch.
Old 11-08-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only got to watch the first 20 minutes of today’s episode before I went to work but something seems a little off. It almost seems like they skipped an episode or two (this is the 3rd episode, right? - the 2 part pilot last week, and then this one).

Have they ever explained the Confessor's power? I know they showed her use it but I don't think they fully explained it. I know from reading the books it isn't fully explained to Richard for quite a while, but in this episode he seemed to know all about it. I can see how it may be confusing to someone who hasn't read the books.
Old 11-08-08, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...the_seeker.asp

What smokes:
'Legend of the Seeker'

In some ways so retro, recalling the prior decade

By Toni Fitzgerald
Nov 7, 2008

It certainly seems like the 1990s all over again. A Democratic president is about to enter the White House, the economy is in the tank, and the hot show in syndication is two parts fantasy, one part smoking-hot warrior.

This time it’s not “Xena, Warrior Princes” or “Hercules” but rather a distant cousin of them both, “Legend of the Seeker,” which premiered over the weekend to solid ratings.

The first-run weekly syndicated series averaged a 1.5 household rating and 3 share in 54 metered markets, according to Nielsen, seeing substantial timeslot gains compared to last year in many of the country’s largest markets.

In Chicago, where the show aired on Tribune’s WGN, it was up 80 percent over the previous year, while it improved 117 percent in Boston. New York, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., and Houston all saw double-digit improvements over the same timeslot the previous year.

The show is available to run on weekends, and it did slightly better on Sunday than it did on Saturday in its debut, averaging a 1.4 on day one and a 1.7 on day two.

The program saw its biggest year-to-year up ticks demographically among men 25-54, where it was up 40 percent in some markets.

“Seeker” is a clear throw-back to the era of “Xena,” when fantasy was among the most popular syndicated genres. The new show is produced by the same team, Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert, behind “Xena” and “Hercules,” and it’s based on a series of novels by Terry Goodkind.

It tells the tale of Richard Cypher, a woodsman who frequently doffs his shirt. He’s soon befriended by a mysterious girl and a wizard who want to use his until-now secret powers to defeat an evil tyrant.

It’s been years since such a program thrived in syndication, however, and some questioned the appetite for such a show when ABC Studios announced it last season.

But early on, there seems to be interest. “Seeker” outdrew, for example, “Xena’s” 1.4 average during its final season. The producers smartly posted a free half hour preview of the show on iTunes to stoke interest, and forums dedicated to the show have already generated thousands of posts.

Still, the ratings will have to hold up over the next few weeks to label “Seeker” a success
Old 11-09-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wasn't even able to watch through the first 2 episodes. I stopped when he gets named Seeker and lightning strikes the sword.

Beyond names and a few similarities, I found it took nothing from the book and instead passes itself as a super cliche'd fantasy series. Then again, I absolutely hated Xena and Hercules for example.
Old 11-09-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Feneant
I wasn't even able to watch through the first 2 episodes. I stopped when he gets named Seeker and lightning strikes the sword.

Beyond names and a few similarities, I found it took nothing from the book and instead passes itself as a super cliche'd fantasy series. Then again, I absolutely hated Xena and Hercules for example.
Actually I thought the 2 hour pilot followed the first couple of chapters (condensed) as closely as a TV series could be expected to.

I just finished watching the 3rd episode and I hated it. It reminded me of everything I hated about Hercules and Xena (and I did hate those shows). I love fantasy but I don't think anyone has the balls or smarts to pull it off on TV.
Old 11-09-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Actually I thought the 2 hour pilot followed the first couple of chapters (condensed) as closely as a TV series could be expected to.

I just finished watching the 3rd episode and I hated it.

I agree that the first two episodes followed the book very closely. This one felt totally off-track. I hope it's not indicative of future episodes...

One thing that I wish they hadn't omitted from the series is the pain that using the sword causes Richard. It was an essential part of the book and was central to the character of Richard and to his growth as the Seeker.
Old 11-10-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never read or heard of the books, but then I've never really enjoyed fantasy except for Tolkien despite reading half a dozen authors.

The pilot was ok. Very cliched, but it had it's moments. Mostly the hot chick. One because she's hot and not a bad actress and two because I was curious about what she is, what her powers are, etc. The plot, the boy hero, the evil tyrant and the wizard were all cookie cutter. And that cookie tastes awfully like Star Wars. Which leaves me wondering who in the wide wide world of sports could be the kids father?!?!?

Still, I gave the third episode a chance and it was basically everything I expected. As stated, very Hercules/Xena. More D&D less Greek Mythology, which to me is less interesting.

Like Herc/Xena I don't think I'll seek this out anymore, but I might stop and watch if I catch it on a slow weekend.
Old 11-13-08, 05:29 PM

Finally saw the ep yesterday and I really liked it. Sure its like Herc and Xena only they actually kill people in this show.

The only thing that bugs me is when I see the Seeker, I see Chachi!
Old 11-17-08, 03:22 AM

I was so excited about the show when I saw the preview one night at work. So I tuned in only to waste two hours of my life. The tv series does not do the books by Terry Goodkind any justice and also the characters are so different. I remember Richard being smart and always willing fight for what was right. In this Richard comes off like he should actually be a kid because he sure acts like one attitude wise plus he really has no depth to his character. Kahlan seems like a know it all. Zedd is the only character who resembles the character in the book but it seems like they forgot that Zedd didnt actually travel with Richard and Kahlan. I have tried to make myself watch all the episodes and I find with every new episode the show only gets worse. They have added things to the show that were never I mean never in the book, and then they never explain things like oh what a the sword of truth really does and how it works or what a confessors power does. Then when I researched the show I found out that Disney produced it and then I had to wonder who at Disney read the first two chapters of this book and thought it appropriate enough to put on national tv. The book sure is not Disney material. Then the worst part about the entire show is that the author of the book actually said that he liked it and he supported it. I understand he can't come out and say wow you ruined my books but he should have. So bottom line the show is terrible! Just read the books they are so much better.
Old 11-17-08, 03:02 PM

The author gets a fat paycheck so thats whats most important too him I guess.

I love the show. Even if they omit everything you mention. However theyre only 3 episodes in a 22 ep season. Stuff might slowly come out.
Old 11-17-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think if you're looking for a faithful adaptation of the books then there's probably going to be a lot of disappointment. Think of it more as "inspired by" than "based on". Of course, that's easier for me to say since I've never read the books.
Old 11-17-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
The author gets a fat paycheck so thats whats most important too him I guess.

I love the show. Even if they omit everything you mention. However theyre only 3 episodes in a 22 ep season. Stuff might slowly come out.
Yeah, I hate to say it because I actuallyt liked the first books in the series, but I think Goodkind has been out for only a paycheck for a while now.
Old 11-18-08, 02:23 AM

I liked the first few novels and Faith of the Fallen. With that in mind, I thought that the 2-hour setup was reasonably good for a TV adaptation, but have so far found the two "episodes" with generic stories to be pretty lame. Actually, as I'm watching, I'm wondering if Darken Rahl is intended to be the big baddie for the entire series or if Jagang will be included later on.
Old 11-18-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by silentbob007
I liked the first few novels and Faith of the Fallen. With that in mind, I thought that the 2-hour setup was reasonably good for a TV adaptation, but have so far found the two "episodes" with generic stories to be pretty lame. Actually, as I'm watching, I'm wondering if Darken Rahl is intended to be the big baddie for the entire series or if Jagang will be included later on.
I'm half-watching the show while surfing on my laptop, but I'm curious if they will get into the Mord-Sith at all.

The problem is that the books are pretty graphic and sexual, and I don't see how they could include leather-clad women that were basically created to inflict pain. But they are a huge part of the books, so I don't know how they could not be included.
Old 12-06-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a slow weekend and just caught up with the last three episodes. I think it's gotten better, but is still not exactly good.

I think they are showing these out of order because the last episode, Elixir, felt like it should have come after the 2 part premiere. It had some exposition that felt like it should have been placed before the other episodes and stylistically it seemed more like the premiere. The actor playing the wizard was back to being way over the top too. The scene were he talked about "Selling Magic!!" was just horrible.

The Star Wars meme was also back, as the episode opened with an homage to the training orb sequence from the original.
Old 12-06-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm giving up on it simply because they seem to be letting what was good about the novels fall away. I will never call Terry Goodkind a good writer (I've completely given up on his books after 5 or 6) but there was some really good stuff mixed in with the bad.

Some of the best had to do with the Confessors and their power, and most of that has been dropped by the series. For example: 1) Confessors were supposed to be more feared and respected than kings and queens, but here back story certainly doesn't lean credence to that. 2) The show makes it look like her power is just making people do what she says, in reality when a confessor uses her power she completely destroys their individuality and personality, making them a blind love slave. In the show Kahlan's father reverts to normal when her mother dies. 3) Weren't the Sister's of Light the ones who kidnapped boys who had power and trained them to be wizards? They kind of blew that story line.
Old 12-06-08, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, that was the sisters of the light. And they did kidnap Richard and when Zed found out, he said that they had broken the truce (that any boy with magic power was to be left alone if there was a Wizard around) and that he was going to find their secret location and destroy it. I really wanted to see that story line. Not to mention that Richard doesn't get the Gar to be his friend. But I'm still enjoying the show. Not everything based on a novel can be a direct adaptation. Besides, I could not STAND Khalan, the confessor, in the books. I kept hoping she'd die a horrible death.
Old 12-08-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They definitely "pussified" the Confessor's power. It's supposed to be a last resort and doesn't turn people into lovable sidekicks.

In the books, someone she turned died when she told him to. Just keeled right over. I was shocked to see her throw it away on some random dude who attacked her. I think the power is so cool that I hate to see what they've done to it.

And I didn't see the Sisters of the Light one but...sigh. Can't get that right. I doubt they will handle the Imperial Order well at all either. Plus, they can't seem to split the main actors up, though they spend entire books apart in the series.

I put this on as background now and promptly forget about it. Too bad, it could have been cool.
Old 12-16-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got the last two episodes on DVR and have been hemming and hawing about actually watching them. I did notice there was nothing recorded last Saturday so I thought I may have missed one somehow. I went on TV.com and saw they are taking a break until 1/10/09.

For those wondering if they will introduce arguably the coolest characters in the series, here's the next episode description from TV.com:

Spoiler:
Richard is captured by a Mord'Sith named Denna, who can manipulate any form of magic directed at her.

I'm betting they screw them up as well.
Old 12-16-08, 07:38 AM

The keep throwing in small parts of major plot points so that I think it may get interesting ... boxes of orden, mord sith, etc. Still will probably be weak unfortunately.
Old 12-16-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I've got the last two episodes on DVR and have been hemming and hawing about actually watching them. I did notice there was nothing recorded last Saturday so I thought I may have missed one somehow. I went on TV.com and saw they are taking a break until 1/10/09.

For those wondering if they will introduce arguably the coolest characters in the series, here's the next episode description from TV.com:

Spoiler:
Richard is captured by a Mord'Sith named Denna, who can manipulate any form of magic directed at her.

I'm betting they screw them up as well.
Yeah, I have no doubts that this'll suck too.
Old 12-16-08, 01:33 PM

A break? Shit, I love the show.
Old 12-16-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the last episode yet. I started too but something about the opening rubbed me wrong and I watched something else instead.

I was checking out the TWoP thread for this show and someone posted a link to a very detailed description of the episode DeputyDave's spoiler is referring to. It was a post on another forum from someone claiming to have seen a rough cut. I read it since I don't really care about being spoiled for this show, but since haven't read the books I can't offer an opinion as to whether they spoiled it or not.
Old 12-16-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir
I haven't watched the last episode yet. I started too but something about the opening rubbed me wrong and I watched something else instead.

I was checking out the TWoP thread for this show and someone posted a link to a very detailed description of the episode DeputyDave's spoiler is referring to. It was a post on another forum from someone claiming to have seen a rough cut. I read it since I don't really care about being spoiled for this show, but since haven't read the books I can't offer an opinion as to whether they spoiled it or not.
Do you have a link? I don't really care about this show to mind spoilers, but I'd like to know if it gets any better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.