Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men--10/26/08--"Meditations in an Emergency"--SEASON FINALE

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad Men--10/26/08--"Meditations in an Emergency"--SEASON 2 FINALE

Spoiler:
Sterling Cooper is in play and the office scrambles without Don. Betty learns some disconcerting news.

BTW, Jon Hamm hosted SNL, here are a few of the "Mad Men" themed skits, they weren't that great(very little on SNL is, ha), but there are a few surprise guests in the A-holes skit.

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...eeting/787182/

http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Li...-guide/787241/

And apparently there will be a tribute to Mad Men in the new season opening Simpsons Treehouse of Horror next Sunday..

Now if only we could get a 3rd season with everyone coming back...

Last edited by misterchimpy; 10-26-08 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-26-08, 11:39 AM

Season finale already? It seems like it just started back.
Old 10-26-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally Posted by Super J
Season finale already? It seems like it just started back.
I had the same thought.

How many episodes is this for S2?
Old 10-26-08, 11:48 AM

This will be the thirteenth episode according to wikipedia. It really doesn't seem like it.
Old 10-26-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
It blows me away it's the season finale already. What a bummer...
Old 10-26-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty good. 2nd one was hilarious.
Old 10-26-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only watched two episodes so far I think. I was waiting to do a marathon once the season was over. I find this is the kind of show that is better to watch a bunch of episodes at once rather than weekly.
Old 10-26-08, 11:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
@ Duck's face when he found out Don didn't have a contract

Good to see Peggy finally dropped the bomb on Pete, great job by Elisabeth Moss in that scene.

With The Sopranos connection to this show I was waiting for the screen to go black before Betty told Don she was pregnant.
Old 10-26-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Does Betty now think she is even with Don? Cant wait to see how the merger is resolved next season.
Old 10-27-08, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Axeramm
Cant wait to see how the merger is resolved next season.
I got the impression that it basically was already resolved with the "he could never control his drinking" line; Duck is out and Draper will remain.
Old 10-27-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I find it interesting how the world was on the brink with the Cuban missile crisis, and the amount of information available to the common man was basically bits of TV reports and newspapers. With the end of the world at the forefront of everyone's minds, it provided a catalyst to bring forth the light on a life given away, and a life just waiting for to be embraced.

Anyone else cringe when Betty was not only smoking, but drinking after she found out she was pregnant? How times change. Her evening the infidelity scoreboard is perfectly Betty, that's her juvenile coping mechanism (and note, she only did it after Don finally confirmed it, though he didn't quite let on to the depths of his philandering ways).

Peggy's revelation to Pete was literally a bombshell to his world. Nice parallel to the world going to hell in a hand basket that weekend of the crisis in Cuba. Very delicate scene that played out strong in its restraint.

Duck's reaction to the news of Don's contract status was great. Duck getting blindsided was a nice bonus from that scene, plus the new owners definitely are aware of Duck's weakness when it comes to alcohol.
Old 10-27-08, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man...just finished watching this.

I only watch two programs with any sort of schedule: South Park, and Mad Men.

Tonight's episode was one of the most gripping and emotionally ranging pre-recorded things I have ever seen. I thought this episode was brilliance in the middle of a brilliant series.
Old 10-27-08, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not episode related but there's this artist doing pieces from each episode. Looks very saul bass inspired
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nobodys...7606178887453/

Old 10-27-08, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Patman
Her evening the infidelity scoreboard is perfectly Betty, that's her juvenile coping mechanism (and note, she only did it after Don finally confirmed it, though he didn't quite let on to the depths of his philandering ways).

That was one lucky dude.

I was stunned that Peggy told Pete about the baby, although I suppose it had to happen at some point.
Old 10-27-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very convenient how there was a nice couch in the back of that bar. She standing there waiting for the ladies room, they go into the nearest open door (which I expected to be a broom-closet or the men's room), and find themselves in something resembling Don Draper's office. Niiice.
Old 10-27-08, 08:52 AM

Yeh I also thought it was funny how Betty cheated when in the previous episode she was so preachy about how she could never do that and only horrible people do it.

So when Don complimented Pete when he first got back was he sincerely complimenting him, or just playing him, or just changing the subject in general so he didn't have to explain where he really was?

Duck out and Don the new President maybe? Pete loses his promotion with Duck gone?

It's going to be a long wait till next season :/
Old 10-27-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeffy
Duck out and Don the new President maybe? Pete loses his promotion with Duck gone?
Don is indebted to Pete for giving him the head's up about Duck - Pete losing his promotion = no way, Jose. I believe Don was sincere in his compliments to Pete (he obviously does good work - he's more important than any of the other guys you see weekly), and since Pete gave Don the respect, Don will reward Pete.
Old 10-27-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I laughed how Pete said "you're right" to Trudy when Trudy said, "if you loved me, you'd come with me."
Old 10-27-08, 09:34 AM

I couldn't really tell at the end (because mine wasn't in HD), but was that Pete sitting there, with.......what? Looked weird.

I thought for sure Betty going into that room with that guy was going to be a daydream, and when I realized it was real I found it pretty disgusting. I didn't find the ending of "I'm pregnant" all that compelling, nothing like last season's finale, anyway. (Still great TV, of course.)
Old 10-27-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by uteotw
I couldn't really tell at the end (because mine wasn't in HD), but was that Pete sitting there, with.......what? Looked weird.
I thought it was Duck...with a rifle or an AK-47...

what the hell was that??
Old 10-27-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

Looked like Duck with a rifle, which I presume means he was about to blow his head off.
Old 10-27-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
Her evening the infidelity scoreboard is perfectly Betty, that's her juvenile coping mechanism
As soon as I saw her with that man, I thought to myself "I bet she lets Don come home now." Totally made sense for her character.

Plus, she is already pregnant,so she had no chance of getting knocked up by a man who isn't her husband. I wondered if that made her feel a little "safer" in going there with that stranger.

I actually felt kind of bad for him at first, since he bought her a drink and she wouldn't even speak to him. But then she went there! Probably the best $1 (or whatever drinks cost in 1963) he ever spent.
Old 10-27-08, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker

what the hell was that??
I think it was Pete with the rifle he bought earlier in the season using the credit he got after returning excess wedding presents. Reminds me of the hilarious scene where he's in his office pointing it all his co-workers after he first gets it.
Old 10-27-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder what year we'll be in when the show starts again at Season Three.
---didn't it jump 2 years between Season 1 & Season 2 (1960 to 1962?) Will Kennedy already be dead at the start of the new season? Will Pete get inducted to go to Vietnam?
Old 10-27-08, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Looked like Duck with a rifle, which I presume means he was about to blow his head off.
Thanks. I even rewound and still couldn't really tell. I thought it looked like a gun, but then I thought who keeps a rifle at the office? But then maybe it wasn't at the office...

If only Duck hadn't went nuts, had kept it close to the vest, since I thought he and Don had sorta mended the fences, but I guess he just can't hold his liquor so...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.