Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL 10/25/08 - H: John Hamm - MG: Coldplay

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Pretty much every sketch with Hamm was good, especially the Vincent Price one.

I thought he was a great host with some solid comedic timing.
I hope the put the how to pick up women as Don Draper piece on the MadMen dvd.
Old 10-26-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Biden skit at the beginning was one of the weaker skits they did this election year. It ranks up there with the third presidential debate skit they did in absolute lameness.

But over all, good episode. I just wanted to throw comments in on that since i didn't really see anybody talking about it.
Old 10-26-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the Jon Hamm's "John Ham" skit, but that was about it.
Old 10-26-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel that the next time Nicholas Fehn shows up, he should do his standard mumble bit for the first minute or so, and then, when Seth inevitably asks him what he is doing, Fehn trips over himsefl again, but suddenly launches into an extremely intricate and eloquent speech, detailing all his points perfectly.

Hamm was indeed one of the better hosts the show has had in recent memory. His material was not perfect, but he managed to overcome that in certain regards. The child molester in particular, could have been weak, but Forte and Hamm brought it to a level that exceeded the writing.

Personally, I really enjoyed the Robo-Call bit during Weekend Update. Seth reaching over and hanging up the phone after the call to the suicide hotline was a welcome foray back into the type of random absurdity that the show used to embrace with gusto. I hope they continue along the lines of that...
Old 10-26-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Decent show

Maya
Old 10-26-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
David Alan Grier should host again. He fit in perfectly with the cast. I wouldn't mind seeing Duchovny host again either.
Yes! Please PLEASE bring back Davie Alan Grier. The man is a comedy genius.

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/...a-effervesance
Old 10-26-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
The Biden skit at the beginning was one of the weaker skits they did this election year. It ranks up there with the third presidential debate skit they did in absolute lameness.
Well, they're certainly not going to do a sketch making fun of Obama.

Hamm was a pretty good host, although most of the Mad Men sketch went right over my head since I've never seen it. Didn't like the addition of the 2 A-Holes.

Love the Vincent Price specials, and Hamm was amazingly good as James Mason. Then again, he was probably coached by Hader who does a great James Mason.

Digital Short was terrible, but they can't all be winners.

I thought the sex offender trick or treat skit was pretty good, but I'd like to once see a cast member play the straight man and the host do the comedy part.
Old 10-26-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EEz28
The Killers stayed and performed more after the credits.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/38083/satu...s#x-4,cClips,1
So did the Arcade Fire.
Old 10-26-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
I can't believe they stole my "Barack Obama Half Hour Variety Show" idea... The first thing that came out of my mouth when I heard Barack had bought 30 minutes of air time was "What's he going to do with that? A 'Barack Obama Half Hour Variety Show?" Glad to see I could write for this show.
Old 10-27-08, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
can they get Kevin Smith to guest host since he has a new movie coming soon?

I would like to see that.

Kevin Nealon also would be welcome.

Will we see Archie Poehler the son of Amy and Will Arnett as a future SNL cast member in 2032?

He should have all the tools since he has 2 comedians as his parents similar to what Ben Stiller had.
Old 10-27-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Will we see Archie Poehler the son of Amy and Will Arnett as a future SNL cast member in 2032?

He should have all the tools since he has 2 comedians as his parents similar to what Ben Stiller had.
Yes, because those tools worked so well for Desi Arnaz Jr.
Old 10-27-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I read on Yahoo! that Poehler isn't coming back... anyone confirm or deny that? I could see her sitting out the rest of this season but I hope she comes back next season.
Old 10-27-08, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
I read on Yahoo! that Poehler isn't coming back... anyone confirm or deny that? I could see her sitting out the rest of this season but I hope she comes back next season.
Unles ssomething has changed, she's leaving SNL to develop a prime-time sitcom. The plan this season has always been for her to work through the election or the birth of her child, whichever came first, then leave.

I'm interested to see who (if anyone) they put in the anchor chair with Seth.
Old 10-27-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The Samberg rastafarian skit was pretty funny. I've never seen Mad Men, so I had no clue who Jon Hamm was. He seemed to do ok in the sketches I watched. The Jon Hamm's John Ham skit was pretty good.
Old 10-27-08, 12:07 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it was interesting that the political sketches concentrated on the Democrats after weeks of a McCain/Palin focus. I wonder if it's because, with Obama/Biden leading in the polls, they realized it might not be a good long term strategy to put all their comedic eggs in the Republican basket? They're still struggling to find a way to make Obama funny. He doesn't have a built-in character like a Palin and they don't have a 'hook' to make a new exaggerated version either (McCain = old, Clinton = womanizer, Bush = dumb, etc.). But it took them awhile to figure out Bush Sr. and Dana Carvey's version is one of the most memorable political impressions the show's ever had.
Old 10-27-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Until this thread, I didn't even realize Maya was gone. I guess that speaks volumes about what I thought about her characters.
Old 10-27-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That sucks Amy is leaving

I knew she was leaving but it does not seem right she did not have one final show farewell show.

She should have worked until the final episode in May.

I remember the SNL cast did a Grease skit for the final show with Jimmy Fallon and Poehler was a huge star and she deserved to go out with a bang.
Old 10-27-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think one day Amy's baby is going to get a kick out of watching the video of his mom rapping the week before he was born.
Old 10-27-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very weak episode. John Hamm was a fine host though. Vincent Price skit was OK. But sex offender is funny? Why not do one with abortion? Digital short was another crapper. I'm not interested in Coldplay.
Old 10-28-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Amys departure is being treated like the departures of Jerry Minor, Jeff Richards, Bill Riggle, and Finesse Mitchell where you did not notice when they left.

She is a big star and I wanted to see a sendoff show to make it official.
Old 10-28-08, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I thought the sex offender trick or treat skit was pretty good, but I'd like to once see a cast member play the straight man and the host do the comedy part.
They actually did this last season in the Hugh Laurie episode. I remember because, like you say, it happens so rarely. The sketch had Laurie and Hader maybe saying "Oh, reeeeallly?" or something like that as a pair of CEOs. Poehler was the straight man. She was an applicant or new hire or something.

Amys departure is being treated like the departures of Jerry Minor, Jeff Richards, Bill Riggle, and Finesse Mitchell where you did not notice when they left.

Well, they did have Kenan and Maya sing her a song at the end of WU. One of the better sendoffs in recent memory was Tina Fey's where they rounded up her "favorite" recurring characters who she emphatically stated, "I don't like these characters at all!"

Included was the inbred woman played by Rachel Dratch with the babydoll arm growing out of her head, Horatio Sanz's Vasquez Gomez Vasquez, Armisen's Frondy (the astute mentally challenged actor from the Gigli sketch), and Maya Rudolph as Whitney Houston, I believe. Vasquez and Frondy are two personal favorites.
Old 10-28-08, 12:14 PM

I'm hoping we'll see something special done for her before the end of this season. It's difficult to plan a send-off show when the cast member left early because she went in to labor. They couldn't exactly do a "Goodbye Poehler" show, and then have her appear in all of the skits the following week.

SNL is so caught up in the final days of the election that it doesn't seem appropriate to have a "Greatest Skits" episode. Maybe when the election is over but before the inauguration, we'll see a special tribute. I hope so.
Old 10-28-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is there a different Amy Poehler I don't know of? She's fucking terrible.

"Greatest Skits" episode would look something like this:

You guys think "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!" is funny?
Old 10-28-08, 03:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

You do realize that she went into labor ON THE DAY OF THE SHOW? It's not like they can whip out a big tribute in a couple hours.
Old 10-28-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

according to the new she has left the show and I know she was having a baby but I was hoping maybe she could have come back in Dec or Jan for one final show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.