Friday Night Lights -- "Hello, Goodbye" -- 10/22/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Friday Night Lights -- "Hello, Goodbye" -- 10/22/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Tyra dates a new guy (Zach Roerig); Julie supports Matt during his struggles with his mom and grandmother; Smash bids farewell to Coach Taylor; and Tami makes a blunder with the superintendent.

A Key Cast Member leaves the show tonight:

Spoiler:

Gaius Charles (Smash)

Old 10-22-08, 08:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So where is Street?
Old 10-22-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So where is Street?

Spoiler:
so far, he's a no show

Another great episode.
Smash goes off in style.
Matt gets his mom back
Tyra dumps Landry for good and picks up w/ a cowboy who likes cowboy candy.
Mrs Coach learns she can't win so she begins to go about getting what she wants a different way.... letting Buddy know he's hosting a fund raiser in front of everyone one was genius.

From the previews for next week:
Spoiler:
Street is back and so is the Meth Guy!
Old 10-23-08, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I could do without the Landry/Tyra back and forth.

The good thing about this show is that it does pay attention to what is happening in Texas HS football - with the massive push to the spread offense.

Does anyone else have a problem watching this show/T101 off their HDMI connection? I get this message that pops up that say due to content protection, it cannot be viewed via HDMI - use component connection. It's not a huge deal because I also have the DVR hooked up via component, but I don't quite understand why they block HDMI just for this?
Old 10-23-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problems at all on my DVR via HDMI. What model is yours?
Old 10-23-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

It's a HR21-200. They actually replaced my piece of shit 100 model last month.

To clarify, it says my TV can't support the HDMI due to content protection for channel T101 (both the HD and SD versions). Makes no sense since it supports the HDMI connection on all the other channels.
Old 10-23-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
It's a HR21-200. They actually replaced my piece of shit 100 model last month.

To clarify, it says my TV can't support the HDMI due to content protection for channel T101 (both the HD and SD versions). Makes no sense since it supports the HDMI connection on all the other channels.

Did you get the new software update on Tuesday? Not sure if your problem has anything to do with it or not.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=143221
Old 10-23-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

I believe I did get that software update. No mention of this problem in those associated dbstalk threads however.
Old 10-23-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got the same model as you and didn't have a problem.
Old 10-23-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I believe I did get that software update. No mention of this problem in those associated dbstalk threads however.
Might be some kid of weird handshake issue. You might try unplugging and reconnecting everything.
Old 10-23-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah... the 'reset' seems to be the cure all... they're also recommending that you pull the plug and wait 15 min to plug it back in.
Old 10-23-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
Might be some kid of weird handshake issue. You might try unplugging and reconnecting everything.
Believe me, that (and RBR) is an ongoing practice for me with DirecTV crapware.
Old 10-23-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Whoa--I totally feel like I'm in dbstalk (and to add to it, I've had all the same problems as those posted here and there).

STILL, it's almost worth it to be able to watch FNL. I thought this ep. was the best so far (of this season anyway). The Smash storyline was handled (and acted) brilliantly, and the rest was good too.

"Two words: Jumbo-tron." Loved it...
Old 10-23-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Believe me, that (and RBR) is an ongoing practice for me with DirecTV crapware.

Maybe you need a new HDMI cable.
They replaced mine a few weeks ago.
The person I spoke with thought that the reason why there is so many blank recordings is because of faulty HDMI cables.. so she took 10 bucks off my bill for the next 7 months and I went out a bought a new one at BB.
And guess what?
I'm still experiencing the blank recordings.

And yeah.. the only reason why I'm sticking around is because of FNL.

I wish they would spend all their energy on fixing the big problems instead of installing silly upgrades w/ things most of us will probably never use.
Old 10-23-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't even risk FNL with recordings. I have it set up to record, but I've been watching it live just in case.
Old 10-23-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I must be lucky. Ever since I got my HR20 when it first came out in Sept. '06, I have had very few issues. I only recall having one blank recording ever, and it was right around the time the first firmware update came-when a lot of shit was still wonky on it (time slip, ff speed, etc.). The only other issue I've ever had was the other day, when it seems like everyone had a lock up.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
Old 10-24-08, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode. I'm gonna miss Smash. He was such a big part of the show's success.
Old 10-24-08, 12:47 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep good episode. Loved how the Mrs. "handled" it. She wasn't going to win but she managed to get a little something for her cause anyway ... hehe.

Smash bit was very good. A little rushed but a nice way to end his run and end this weeks show. Definitely enjoyed the bit with guys having fun on the field on the way out of town. I got a little choked up when he thanked the coach and said goodbye. I do like the foreshadowing that gave about 1/2 through the episode when Tammy was telling Coach how he builds character/men out of the players and not just football players. Kinda fit really well with how the whole Smash storyline finished the show.

Street is back next week (hopefully to end his run on the show appropriately as well).

Tyra and Landry -- glad to see this one end as the back and forth was just too forced.

Julie and Saracen need to just get back together and be done with it. Although it does appear we get to see some good fire out of him next week.

Anyone get the feeling grandma will be gone by the end of the season or what?

Still really enjoy this show even though it's getting tougher to see Lyla, Riggins, and Tyra as high schoolers. Saracen, Julie, and Landry still fit in IMHO.

Greg
Old 10-24-08, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Anyone to catch a preview of next weeks episode online?
Old 10-25-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I thought this was another great episode.

Very classy and emotional end for Smash's story. I'm happy to see him leave the show on a really positive note.
Old 10-29-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This show rarely disappoints, and this send-off for Smash was well done, and for our investment in the character, it was as good as it could be, and still show Coach's dedication to his kids who help in building up his own coaching successes. It's nice to see honorable characters, especially when they have to deal with their own ambitions, and obstacles (other less noble characters with their own motivations and ambitions in the way), live up to their character and inspire and push those entrusted to them to be more than they previously thought was possible. It's still compelling storytelling.
Old 02-06-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights -- "Hello, Goodbye" -- 10/22/08

bump for tonight's episode
Old 02-06-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am watching these episodes for the first time since I don't have Direct TV and couldn't watch them when they originally aired. But I have to ask, how in the hell did the coach's wife become principal? Wasn't she the guidance counselor last season?
Old 02-07-09, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefWinduAZ
But I have to ask, how in the hell did the coach's wife become principal? Wasn't she the guidance counselor last season?
Previous principal left (can't remember reason) and they offered it to her. I believe nobody else wanted it and she is trusted. With her husband as coach they most likely felt she would put the interest of Dillon football to the forefront. Keep in mind it happened between seasons and I have a horrible memory.
Old 02-07-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Mrs. Coach was saying how the money for the Jumbotron could be used to hire teachers that they need, so she should schedule classes for those teachers, and have the students go outside and stand in front of the Jumbotron for the whole period.

If people complain, she can say the kids could be learning but we have the Jumbotron instead, so that's what you get instead of an education.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.