My Own Worst Enemy -- "Hummingbird" -- 10/20/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
My Own Worst Enemy -- "Hummingbird" -- 10/20/08

"Hummingbird"
Spoiler:
Edward and Raymond must kidnap a German software engineer with information about a possible terrorist attack. Henry tries to deal with the fact that all his childhood memories were made up. With the help of Mavis, Henry must pretend to be Edward when he accidently meets Edward's boss, Alistair Trumbull.

First Aired: 10/20/2008
Old 10-20-08, 09:31 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Should I or should I not google the term "the hummingbird"?
Old 10-20-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad episode but this 10 oclock time slot is killing me.
Old 10-21-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Should I or should I not google the term "the hummingbird"?
urbandictionary.com
Old 10-21-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I still don't get why our government would go to so much trouble to create a false identity that is basically a huge security risk for all of their operations. (Or, for that matter, continue with a failed program that is now completely screwed up. At this point, shouldn't Henry/Edward be scheduled for "termination"? )
Old 10-21-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
who is to say this is the "government"? maybe it's some rogue agency operating within the boundaries of the US, protecting their own interests.
Old 10-21-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Already above Chuck on my Tuesday morning watch list.

I guess I missed it last week but I didn't know that Tom/Raymond had the same 2 personality thing going.
Old 10-21-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
who is to say this is the "government"? maybe it's some rogue agency operating within the boundaries of the US, protecting their own interests.
Well if there really is a clever explanation to all of this, and we get a little closer to the truth with each episode, I'll say this series is top-notch. But otherwise, the premise is completely silly.
Old 10-21-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
name more than 5 tv shows that don't have a completely silly premise.

i like the notes on the hands. that's pretty funny.
Old 10-21-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
name more than 5 tv shows that don't have a completely silly premise.
Well it's not like this is The Beverly Hillbillies or Gilligan's Island or something. If the show didn't take itself seriously, I would give it a pass. But like last week, it's still very entertaining.
Old 10-21-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't get why our government would go to so much trouble to create a false identity that is basically a huge security risk for all of their operations. (Or, for that matter, continue with a failed program that is now completely screwed up. At this point, shouldn't Henry/Edward be scheduled for "termination"? )
I was wondering the same thing. Why even create Henry? What purpose does that serve?
Old 10-21-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rennervision
Because it is a TV show.
Old 10-21-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This episode really came together, this is now a must watch for me.

And Mädchen Amick and I can do the hummingbird, the flying camel, or anything else any time, any place. I need a hot TV wife.
Old 10-21-08, 03:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i think i fell asleep at the very end...what happened?
Old 10-22-08, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
I was tickled when they explained the computer memory freezing to extract the encryption key and then executed it (pretty much correctly), since that is a bona fide hacking technique/security vulnerability that came to light earlier this year:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9876060-38.html?mncol
Old 10-22-08, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they know Edward is malfunctioning so to speak and can turn into Henry at any time yet they continue to send him out on missions?????
Old 10-22-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deke Rivers
they know Edward is malfunctioning so to speak and can turn into Henry at any time yet they continue to send him out on missions?????
Well apparently the explanation is that he was too expensive of an asset to recreate so they'd rather try to "fix" him and risk using him in the meantime. Also, admitting he is "flawed" seems to risk Mavis Heller's (Alfre Woodard) whole enterprise there so they have no choice but to fake it so that Alistair Trumbull (James Cromwell) doesn't cancel the program. (Funny that the two Star Trek: First Contact co-stars reunite in this capacity.)

My question is how do Edward/Henry co-exist and still manage to get enough sleep? Seems like hiding Henry from all of Edward's exploits (e.g. injuries, etc) would be more trouble than its worth.

In terms of WHY bother doing it, I suppose that should someone like Edward get captured he could be "switched off" to being Henry who would not be able to reveal any secrets even under extreme torture because the personality seriously doesn't know anything. Which of course Henry does now (about the double identity) making his personality an even larger liability should he be captured.
Old 10-22-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
My girl and I LOVE this show...turn your brain off and go with the flow programming...gotta love it!

This time slot sucks but god bless the DVR. Christian is terrific in this. I hope it earns a fanbase and is given time to develop.
Old 10-23-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Another quality episode. Color me pleased - this is definitely staying in my watch pile.

I just noticed that Edward/Henry walking around in London with the scarf had the same look going as when he returns to the forrest towards the end of Robin Hood.

Also, I find the parts with him reacting towhat "he" and his wife did in bed really funny.
Old 10-24-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I actually need to ask a tech question: when they are in the lab, or the conference room for that matter, there are a ton of LCD (?) displays that are transparent. Does anybody know what they are? Made-up devices that are actually cardboard wrapped in green screen material, or are they real products? The confusing part - for me - is how you can see everything going on through them while things like video are playing.