Smallville -- "Committed" -- 10/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Smallville -- "Committed" -- 10/16/08

"Committed"
Spoiler:
After they leave their engagement party, Chloe and Jimmy are abducted by a psychotic jeweler who was emotionally scarred by his wife’s infidelity and is now kidnapping couples and subjecting them to a kryptonite-enhanced lie detector that shocks them if they lie. The abductor asks Chloe if she is in love with anyone else. Meanwhile, in an effort to find Chloe and Jimmy, Clark and Lois pose as a couple and are kidnapped themselves and then asked how they feel about each other.

Originally Aired: October 16, 2008
Old 10-16-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expect more foreshadowing..
Old 10-16-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds kinda lame.
Old 10-16-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Not that great.
Old 10-17-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This episode dragged on, even though the writers are doing their best to promote some form of "Moonlighting" vibe between Clark and Lois, unfortunately, the acting isn't up to snuff, and it comes off amateurish.

The Jimmy and Chloe subplot just seems like a non-starter, I don't get any traction in this relationship, no real fire or passion between them.

Now Oliver got used up but good.
Old 10-17-08, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And I think I am done. After 8 seasons, I wish I could say it was a good ride, but it ended up being a disappointment. All the foreshadowing of earlier seasons of some huge climax between Clark and Lex was amazing...and it didn't deliver at all.

I am just going to read episode recaps until the series finale.

This should have been an amazing show through its entire run...but I just have images of sorority vampires and goofy stuff like that.
Old 10-17-08, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by thelwig14
And I think I am done. After 8 seasons, I wish I could say it was a good ride, but it ended up being a disappointment. All the foreshadowing of earlier seasons of some huge climax between Clark and Lex was amazing...and it didn't deliver at all.

I am just going to read episode recaps until the series finale.

This should have been an amazing show through its entire run...but I just have images of sorority vampires and goofy stuff like that.
You're right, it's a terrible show at this point, and has been for a couple of years. But c'mon, go down with the ship with the rest of us! Suck it up!

ETA: Watch this not be the last season, after all. Honestly, I can get through watching it because I see the finish line. But if that finish line gets pushed further into the distance, I just don't know if I can make it. I really feel obligated to see this show through, though- having seen every ep. to this point!

Last edited by Arthur Dent; 10-17-08 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-17-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by awil1026
You're right, it's a terrible show at this point, and has been for a couple of years. But c'mon, go down with the ship with the rest of us! Suck it up!

I just can't. I gave it the benefit of the doubt hoping for a proper Lex-Clark climax and it failed epically. I found a good site that has a detailed writeup for each episode so I am done til the end.
Old 10-17-08, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I just can't. I gave it the benefit of the doubt hoping for a proper Lex-Clark climax and it failed epically. I found a good site that has a detailed writeup for each episode so I am done til the end.
I can't blame you. But something to keep in mind is that

Spoiler:
Lex will probably be back this season for at least a couple of episodes. Who knows, maybe a proper send off is still in the cards!
Old 10-17-08, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Not a good episode, but I am really enjoying the chemistry between Welling and Durance this season.
Old 10-17-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Damn. Color me the outcast. I found this episode very enjoyable. I think the additional twist at the end with Chloe and Jimmy shows that that pair could still be up in the air. Given that, I didn't know what was going to happen with the kidnapper and if they were safe or not. Good tension too.

I thought the interaction between Lois and Clark was great. I don't care if it's anvils. I laughed so hard at saying the elevator was a safer way to travel than the stairs. That was painfully bad, but I know their heart was in the right place.

Tess continues to please! Man she looks good too. She certainly threw the smack down on Oliver too. Cold like Lexy.
Old 10-17-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 You really don't have 45 minutes a week to watch this wrap up?

ETA: Watch this not be the last season, after all. Honestly, I can get through watching it because I see the finish line. But if that finish line gets pushed further into the distance, I just don't know if I can make it. I really feel obligated to see this show through, though- having seen every ep. to this point!
If the CW talks them into an extension, I too will be forced to walk. If it resurges with some sort of new found reason to continue fine, but I will not stand by and watch it limp further than this season.

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not a good episode, but I am really enjoying the chemistry between Welling and Durance this season.
What?!?! Welling has the charisma of a dead rainbow trout. Durance is better but has little with which to work. I'm not sure if he's just had the personality beaten out of him over the years or what, but Welling has just dehumanized any sort of sympathy the audience can have for Clark Kent at this point.

The new showrunners are failing to make a compelling argument for keeping this show around even another week. Knowing this is the last season, we should be heading full-tilt towards the end. COME ON PEOPLE!
Old 10-17-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I liked this episode. I'm a sucker for the Lois-Clark love meandering. But overall I do have to agree with most of the posters here...its time to wrap the series up and go out on a high note. I don't want Smallville becoming this decades X-Files.
Old 10-17-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
+1 You really don't have 45 minutes a week to watch this wrap up?

If the CW talks them into an extension, I too will be forced to walk. If it resurges with some sort of new found reason to continue fine, but I will not stand by and watch it limp further than this season.

What?!?! Welling has the charisma of a dead rainbow trout. Durance is better but has little with which to work. I'm not sure if he's just had the personality beaten out of him over the years or what, but Welling has just dehumanized any sort of sympathy the audience can have for Clark Kent at this point.

The new showrunners are failing to make a compelling argument for keeping this show around even another week. Knowing this is the last season, we should be heading full-tilt towards the end. COME ON PEOPLE!
I agree that the show should not be extended after this season but disagree that Welling has the charisma of a Dead Trout.
You have to blame the writers for any dehumanization not Welling.
Old 10-17-08, 10:01 PM

I usually wait for each season to arrive on dvd/blu-ray to watch them all right in a row. This season I have watched every episode so far. I guess I am in the minority but I want a 9th season.
Old 10-18-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
The Jimmy and Chloe subplot just seems like a non-starter, I don't get any traction in this relationship, no real fire or passion between them.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only that feels this way about the above couple.

Didn't enjoy this episode but I loved the interaction between Lois/Clark/Ollie in the jewelry store.
Old 10-18-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SIUmark
I usually wait for each season to arrive on dvd/blu-ray to watch them all right in a row. This season I have watched every episode so far. I guess I am in the minority but I want a 9th season.
I'd like another season too, but only if it totally focused on the creation of the justice league and had clark in the superman costume, or at least flying
damn it make him fly already, he knows he can as he did in while under the effects of red k and he's seen other kryptonians do it
Old 10-18-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
did they explain why the guy was wearing kryptonite?
Old 10-18-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mikehunt
did they explain why the guy was wearing kryptonite?
I think by now we're just supposed to expect it.
Old 10-19-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TruGator
I think by now we're just supposed to expect it.
There is probably a road side stand selling meteor jewelry.

I liked the episode, even though I am not sold on the Chloe/Jimmy thing. It does free up Clark for Lois, although I think a cat fight over Clark between cousins would have some potential.
Old 10-19-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't they do a Saw knock off last season?
Amusing episode. I did like the Lois and Clark scenes and especially the scene in the jewelry store when they meet Oliver.
I am enjoying the Tess/Oliver scenes too.
Old 10-19-08, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I agree that the show should not be extended after this season but disagree that Welling has the charisma of a Dead Trout.
You have to blame the writers for any dehumanization not Welling.
The tone of the show from the beginning was somber. Everyone was always trying to protect somebody else. I watch it because I've always been a big comic fan, but it really does suck. Having one of the greatest arsenal of characters available and having initiated a pretty good twist on the familar Superman story, they really did not think through their arcs very well at all. Even their monster-of-the-week episodes were pretty lame.

Think what could have been done if Joss Whedon was at the helm.
Old 10-19-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

decent episode. the lois and clark scenes are getting better IMO so it should be interesting to see how much further it develops.
Old 10-19-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The show should actually be called "Metropolis" now. The closest thing we actually have to Smallville is the scenes at Chloe's Apartment at the Tallon.

I also liked the episode. Highly disagree with comparing Welling to a Trout. I think he's grown as an actor in the 8 years the show has been on the air. Even though I was a "Clana" supporter, I am actually liking his interactions with Lois much better. They have developed some nice onscreen chemistry. I am also loving the addition of Cassidy Freeman. I think she's brought new life to the "Villain" angle of the show which was getting really boring and repetitive with Rosenbaum.

Honestly, I think the CW will find a way to squeeze in a 9th season, even if it has to be only 13 episodes. It's still their highest rated show.
Old 10-19-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Count me as another really enjoying Clark & Lois. They haven't had much chemistry in the previous seasons, but I think they're nailing it this season. Unfortunately that was the highlight of the episode for me. Last week we get a Species knock-off, and they follow it up with a Saw knock-off? Ugh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.