Life on Mars -- "The Real Adventures of the Unreal Sam Tyler" -- 10/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Life on Mars -- "The Real Adventures of the Unreal Sam Tyler" -- 10/16/08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Sam investigates a series of fatal robberies at check-cashing stores, and evidence points to someone in the squad being involved. June: Heather Matarazzo. Mrs. Salvaggio: Sylvia Miles.

Old 10-16-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure I'm going to continue with this show. I've seen the excellent BBC series, and last week's pilot didn't grab me.
Old 10-17-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I haven't seen the BBC series, but I watched this episode and the pilot. It was okay, but I don't know if I'll keep watching. It seems like they are wasting a great cast. All the characters seem pretty one-dimensional. Maybe I'll give it one more episode.
Old 10-17-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loved last nights episode. This show is turning out to be awesome!

What is the name of the song that started this episode (during the chase scene from the pool)?
Old 10-17-08, 11:48 AM

Another very good episode. I think it did a tremendous job of blending the crime drama with the more sci-fi elements. It's still up in the air as to what is going on with Sam, and the narrative is allowing the story to unfold freely and not affect what is happening in 1973 in any definitive way. This one was also quite funny as well, plus Tobias from Oz was present, how can you hate on that?
Old 10-17-08, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved it, the new characters, everything. The case they solved though seemed a little odd...

Spoiler:
going after dirty cops before assuming civilians obtained uniforms? That seemed like a stretch.

Despite that, I loved it as much as the first. I think this'll be a new addition to our weekly Thursday TV evening.
Old 10-17-08, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by orderandlaw
Spoiler:
going after dirty cops before assuming civilians obtained uniforms? That seemed like a stretch.
Spoiler:
Not so much when you think about it. He's been thrust into a force that is inherently corrupt, as was shown through his conversations with Hunt throughout the show about planting evidence, etc.. Also, if you are told by someone that uniformed officers were present at a crime scene, before or after, you're not going to be thinking dudes in costume but will automatically think crooked cops.
Old 10-17-08, 06:31 PM
Suspended

It took me the whole episode to figure out that the secretary is the chick from Welcome to the Dollhouse.
Old 10-17-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Of all the crime/cop shows on tv, its cool to see something different. I missed the pilot but enjoyed last nights show. I'll keep watching for now.
Old 10-17-08, 07:34 PM
Suspended

I'm watching this in SD, because DirecTV hasn't furnished us with an HD feed of our local stations yet. From what I can see, the cinematography is trying to emulate a 70s cop show. But I'm wondering if the HD feed is a little less grainy than what I'm seeing.

What does this show look like in HD? Anyone have any screencaps?
Old 10-17-08, 08:01 PM

Anyone know where to watch this online? I can't get ABC's video player to load.

I usually check between 7 and 8 to make sure everything is set up to record for the night. For some reason my dvr changed it's mind at the last minute. I didn't realize it until tonight when I went to watch it.
Old 10-17-08, 08:08 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron G
What does this show look like in HD? Anyone have any screencaps?
No screencaps, but there's no "retro" look at all in HD.
Old 10-17-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Super J
Anyone know where to watch this online? I can't get ABC's video player to load.

I usually check between 7 and 8 to make sure everything is set up to record for the night. For some reason my dvr changed it's mind at the last minute. I didn't realize it until tonight when I went to watch it.
Legally you can only watch it on ABC.com.

I just checked the site and it worked fine for me. There is a new plug-in that needs to be installed, but the site does it for you.
Old 10-17-08, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Groucho
No screencaps, but there's no "retro" look at all in HD.
Then I have a really shitty ABC feed.

They promised HD via satellite before the year was out. The year is almost out . . .
Old 10-17-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Another great episode. The only issue I have is that he could very easily prove that he's from the "future" by spouting off a bunch of history stuff that would be "the future" to No Nuts and anyone else in the precinct. Like his one-off line about Nixon. Say that shit when people can hear you. Obviously, it would ruin the premise of the show, so it will never happen.
Old 10-18-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
If I was Sam, I would be balls-deep in that hippie neighbor's big hairy 70s muff right now.

Even though I had Lisa Bonet waiting for me in the future.

Hey, it's either a dream (so he gets a pass) or he's really time-traveled (she'll never find out, and he many not make it back anyway).
Old 10-18-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'd get w/ a bookie and wager like a motherfucker on sporting events.
Old 10-18-08, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by BlooQKazoo
The name of the song is "All The Way From Memphis" by Contraband
Thank you! Off to iTunes.

EDIT - Looks like Mott The Hoople did it first.

Also, I love how this show is shot. There is something about it that makes me smile and think about shows/movie I used to watch with my dad when I was younger.

Last edited by macnorton; 10-18-08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-18-08, 10:46 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Am I the only one that thought the neighbor chick was A.J. Langer? She looked exactly like Rayanne.

The actress was Tanya Fischer.
Old 10-18-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If I was Sam, I would be balls-deep in that hippie neighbor's big hairy 70s muff right now.

Even though I had Lisa Bonet waiting for me in the future.

Hey, it's either a dream (so he gets a pass) or he's really time-traveled (she'll never find out, and he many not make it back anyway).
Yeah, I would have to say I would have knocked the bottom out of that as well. She was sexy as heck. As far as the show, I love it. I hope it continues to do well in the ratings.
Old 10-19-08, 12:35 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
i love when a show has a great lead that can take the reigns and bring the entire show together. Jason O'Mara commands every scene he is in and with people like Imperoili and Keitel that is a tough thing. he is wonderful, the supporting characters are great, looove music, the humor and the show itself is proving the biggest surprise for me this season.
Old 10-20-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The name of the song is "All The Way From Memphis" by Contraband
Mott The Hoople did this off their album MOTT from you guessed it..1973
who the hell is Contraband?

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 10-20-08 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-20-08, 09:28 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
has this gotten full season pick-up yet?
Old 10-20-08, 09:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
i love when a show has a great lead that can take the reigns and bring the entire show together. Jason O'Mara commands every scene he is in and with people like Imperoili and Keitel that is a tough thing. he is wonderful, the supporting characters are great, looove music, the humor and the show itself is proving the biggest surprise for me this season.
I agree with you 100%.

Question, this may have been answered, but if this show becomes a 'hit' will ABC make this a continued series for X amount of seasons or is there a definate ending planned (i.e,'Lost'), the British show was only 16 episodes, two seasons in length.
Old 10-20-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you had bothered to read the rest of the thread before you replied, you would have seen we already figured that out and discussed it. Contraband was an early 90's supergroup that didn't last too long. Apparently they did a cover of the song and it pretty much sounds exactly like the original. The name of the song is really what was important anyway. I just posted what came up first in a search from the lyrics so that is why I posted what I did.

But thanks for chiming in there.
I did read the thread.. I was adding the year and album for clarification ....only 9 posts and you are already taking things personal ?? grow some thicker skin..oh and by the way..welcome to the forum

Last edited by Deke Rivers; 10-20-08 at 12:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.