Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life on Mars -- Series Premiere -- "Out Here in the Fields" -- 10/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Finally got around to watching it last night.

HUGE fan of the original UK series. Ginormous.

The remake was good so far. I don't mind Keitel as much as others here seem to be. At least he isn't showing off his cock again. But yeah, in comparison to the actor in the same role in the British production, there's no contest.

The beauty of the UK series were the 6-7 episodes per season. Stretching this out to a 20-26 episode order, per season, is going to mean a lot of filler. They are going to have to balance out the mystery of Sam's time travel with weekly early 70s police procedurals, which is an extremely difficult line to walk as if you tip too much one way you end up as an insular serialized sci-fi show which can scare away casual viewers, whereas if you end up as a 70s police procedural with occasional backstory/scifi/mystery elements, you're REALLY gonna test the patience of your weekly viewers who are going to want some kind of overall story progression.

Still I'm in for a few more episodes. Generally, I'm very pleased so far.