Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

HBO Wrestling Drama?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HBO Wrestling Drama?

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that legendary television writer and producer Norman Lear has teamed with HBO for a drama series project based off a family owned pro wrestling business in New York in the 1970s. The show is being written by Aaron Blitzstein and is tentatively titled "Everybody Hurts.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-01-08, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You had me at HBO. Seriously, this sounds great. Of course, it being a period piece means it will run for 2 seasons.
Old 10-02-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it could be sweet. The behind the scenes stuff in wrestling is far better than anything we see from from the WWE or TNA these days.
Old 10-02-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in. HBO has a good track record, and it'll be interesting to see the retro premise.

OR

Triple H gets tombstoned by the Undertaker and knocked unconcious. When he wakes up, it is 1977. He has to figure out where he is and how he can get back, while still making sure everyone else gets buried.
Old 10-02-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Triple H gets tombstoned by the Undertaker and knocked unconcious. When he wakes up, it is 1977. He has to figure out where he is and how he can get back, while still making sure everyone else gets buried.
This is HBO, not Fox.
Old 10-02-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in. The backstage drama of wrestling would make for a perfect HBO drama. They could deal with a whole bunch of wrestling topics such as screwjobs, comebacks, TV deals, alcohol and drug abuse, the life of jobbers and the interactions between fans and wrestlers. With it being on HBO they can basically do anything.

I'm wondering if Jerry "The King" Lawler might make a recurring appearance on the show.
Old 10-02-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman
I'm in. The backstage drama of wrestling would make for a perfect HBO drama. They could deal with a whole bunch of wrestling topics such as screwjobs, comebacks, TV deals, alcohol and drug abuse, the life of jobbers and the interactions between fans and wrestlers. With it being on HBO they can basically do anything.

I'm wondering if Jerry "The King" Lawler might make a recurring appearance on the show.
Should be interesting to see what they do with this. No doubt they will probably cover Vince taking over the industry as the show goes on, or at least his impact on the smaller territories.
Old 10-02-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It depends on how early in the 70"s it is going to be if its too early then vince would just be a blip
Old 10-02-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
It depends on how early in the 70"s it is going to be if its too early then vince would just be a blip
Thats true. Here is more I dug up on the project.
Legendary Producer Norman Lear Releasing Wrestling Drama Series For HBO

In his first major collaboration with HBO, TV icon Norman Lear has teamed with the premium cable network for a drama series project set in the world of 1970s pro wrestling.

Written by Aaron Blitzstein and produced by Lear's Act III Prods., the character-driven drama, tentatively titled "Everybody Hurts," revolves around a family running a pro-wrestling business in New York and peeks into the lives of the wrestlers and their fans.

Lear and Act III's Lara Bergthold, who are executive producing the project, had been looking to do a show about pro wrestling for a while.

The Hollywood Reporter
"Pro wrestling is a pretty fair reflection of good and evil in our culture," Lear said.

Added Bergthold, "Wrestling is where people turn to when they feel the government is lying to them and there are no real heroes in their lives."

The two met with Blitzstein to discuss a different show idea when the conversation turned to Blitzstein's career, which includes a stint with World Championship Wrestling.

Blitzstein is a late bloomer as a writer. He started off working in the music representation business, working with such bands as Foo Fighters and Sonic Youth, and spent a couple of years as vp marketing for WCW before moving to Los Angeles in 2004 to pursue a career as a writer.

"Every day was the greatest day ever and the worst day you could possibly imagine," Blitzstein recalls about his time at WCW. "I've never seen more colorful people than pro wrestlers."

The three started developing a pro-wrestling show and almost immediately decided to set it in the early days of the sports entertainment phenomenon, before it became a billion-dollar industry.

"It was more of mom-and-pop type of feel back then," said Blitzstein, who is drawing on his memories as a wrestling fan growing up in Baltimore and New York. "And it was a little bit more ridiculous and fun."

Lear, Bergthold and Blitzstein, a co-exec producer on "Hurts," also found a lot of similarities between the political and economic climate in the '70s and today.

"It was post-Watergate, and the U.S. was dealing with an energy crisis and the Iran hostage crisis," Blitzstein said. "Now we're dealing with the Bush administration, our soldiers in Iraq and the skyrocketing gas prices. The show is as much about family and politics as it is about wrestling."

There will be comedic touches, especially in the portrayal of the wrestlers, that will employ Blitzstein's comedy writing background on such shows as "Late Show With David Letterman" and "Crank Yankers."

His career took a dramatic turn with FX's "The Riches," leading to his project for HBO.

"I feel I just hit the trifecta -- between writing about wrestling, working with Norman Lear and working with HBO," said Blitzstein, repped by CAA and attorney Peter Grant. "It's incredible. I don't have to work for the rest of my life."
Old 10-03-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree. I always thought wrestling was a perfect subject for a serious drama. That sounds silly to a non-fan, but just take a look at all the topics you mentioned in your post.
Old 10-03-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. but with this show set in the 70's (wasn't around back then so I don't know how pro wrestling was) and that its about a smaller organization this show might not go in that direction.

This is definitely worth trying but I think a show about a fictional wrestling organization based on the WWE in the height of its popularity would be awesome too.
Old 10-06-08, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
I agree. I always thought wrestling was a perfect subject for a serious drama. That sounds silly to a non-fan, but just take a look at all the topics you mentioned in your post.
i absolutely hate wrestling. i do think it would make for a great drama though. i will be watching for sure.
Old 03-29-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: HBO Wrestling Drama?

Sorry, no update. I was actually hoping someone had heard something about this or if it just ended up getting canned.
Old 03-29-12, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I wish it was set in the 80's
Old 03-30-12, 08:02 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

This could be so cool. Wrestling was so much cooler back when it was barrel-chested middle-aged men rather than the steroided up freaks today.
Old 03-30-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sorry, no update. I was actually hoping someone had heard something about this or if it just ended up getting canned.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the idea was scrapped. It's been 4 years and we've heard nothing.
Old 03-30-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I think this could be a great idea for a show truthfully. It sounds like it could be similar in tone to the movie The Wrestler which was fantastic. Definitely interested in watching this. I used to be a fan of wrestling back when I was younger and watched off and on up til about four years ago or so. I still have my favorite wrestlers and there are still some classic moments and matches, but overall the stuff of today just isn't the same..
Old 03-30-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

damn, i didnt check the date of the first post and got all excited about this series
Old 03-30-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
damn, i didnt check the date of the first post and got all excited about this series
Same