Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate Atlantis - Cancelled!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crappy news. I really liked Atlantis. I think it's only Eureka left on Sci-Fi now.
Old 08-22-08, 12:51 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Stargate Universe is a go
Old 08-22-08, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts
I read that Universe is a very expensive project and I bet Sci-Fi told the producers you could only have 1 or the other on the air, but not both.

I'm glad that Atlantis will live on in TV movies, but I would love to see Shepherd make a guest appearance on Universe. You gotta use a familiar character to help launch the new series.
Old 08-22-08, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate: Universe has the same basic plot as Space: 1999.
Old 08-22-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like they are trying to take the Stargate out of Stargate.
Old 08-22-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by HN
From the article:

“This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation,” Howe said. “We really don’t want to be more of the same. It’s going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.”

I hate that "younger vibe" crap. Exactly how do you make a show about people jumping through wormholes relevant to a new generation? How was it relevant to us old folks?
Old 08-22-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
It’s going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.
Stargate: 90210
Old 08-22-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolf359
From the article:

“This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation,” Howe said. “We really don’t want to be more of the same. It’s going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.”

I hate that "younger vibe" crap. Exactly how do you make a show about people jumping through wormholes relevant to a new generation? How was it relevant to us old folks?
I agree. That's a cop-out. I haven't seen Continium yet, but I know it was a tie-in/launch. I didn't know it was becoming irrelivant. Plus, it feels like an excuse for them rather than continuing to produce a quality show and scripts.
Old 08-22-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
I agree. That's a cop-out. I haven't seen Continium yet, but I know it was a tie-in/launch.
Continuum isn't a tie-in/launch. It doesn't really wrap anything up or lead to anything new
Spoiler:
besides maybe the loss of one bad guy
I liked it, but it's pretty much a one-off episode.
Old 08-22-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This Stargate: Universe sounds much like Star Trek: Voyager.
Old 08-22-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/37TtMzeV-9I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/37TtMzeV-9I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-22-08, 03:59 PM

Really sad news, no more Mckay, Ronon, Teyla, Shepherd!!!!!!!!!!!

The more I hear about Stargate Universe the less I want to watch. They just did the same thing with Spooks: Code 9....and its crap!!!!
Old 08-22-08, 04:39 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Well this sucks. I'm guessing we can blame this at least partially on the success of the two SG-1 dvds. MGM/Sci Fi can now focus on their new SG Universe show while still making extra $$$ with Atlantis straight to dvd movies.
I wasn't under that impression. If anything, I think they expected the two movies to be more successful (and I agree with Starman's sentiments below).

Originally Posted by Starman9000
Exactly!
Old 08-22-08, 04:46 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

This is somewhat of a shame. Admittedly I only watched the premier this year and nothing since.

I really feel like this is a failure and a setback to the SG universe and future projects. The idea of Atlantis was good, but the following were some of the problems they never resolved from the start or created for themselves:

1) Teyla. I don't know if it was the writing, acting or a combination, but the character never worked. The character always came across to me as morally righteous and it was annoying.
She was what amounts to their moral compass in terms of a connection to the Pegasus Galaxy. IE: insert American Indian stereotypes per the writers.

2) Technology. I firmly believe that suddenly being able to travel to and from Earth was a mistake. Yes there may have been half a season where they had to "wait" a week on some of the ships, but really...
I agree. One of the original draws of the show (and I've watched it since "Day One") was that they were cut off and unable to get help when needed so they would have to rely on their own ingenuity.

3) Number 2 leads to number 3, which is no sense of danger. Their technological superiority let them overcome the Wraith within 2 seasons. The Wraith were such a shot in the arm as a formidable nemisis after the Goul'd had been taken care of. Plus death was more of a consequence than domination of the galaxy before.
True and don't forget the souped up Replicators. The creators and writers seem to think the concept of "finding all the advanced societies that were hiding from the Wraith" to be the big dynamic for the future but they rarely used the two big enemies all that effectively.

4) Characters. They hardly developed! Sunday (317) may have been the best episode of the series to show what should have been. Unfortunately, I think it was meant as a one-off filler episode. And what of Ford? How do you bring somebody in from the start and not know what to do with him? Also, while Shep has the least amount of complaints from me, I think it would have been good to see more of his backstory and how he struggles to take orders. This was alluded to very much in the premier with the Robert Patrick character, but never followed up with.
Character development is tough on an ensemble show and the use of McKay to save the day so often (ala Wesley Crusher in STTNG) weakened it greatly. The writers using cheap "outs" so often sucked too.
Old 08-22-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

One the only shows I make a point to watch. At least they will be wrapping things up or continuing the story via the movies.
Old 08-22-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Continuum isn't a tie-in/launch. It doesn't really wrap anything up or lead to anything new
Spoiler:
besides maybe the loss of one bad guy
it also has a small tie in to carter's last episode on atlantis since she was going back to earth in part to participate in the ceremony at the opening of continuum
Old 08-23-08, 10:52 PM

SG-1 and Atlantis are like big bowls of Mac & Cheese - I wouldn't want it to be the only thing I ate, but it's good to have once a week with other stuff. Both shows can be challenging at times, or entertaining, action-packed and easy to absorb at others.

That in mind, both shows have deserved better treatment than what they've been given. That could be the epitaph of so many other SciFi Channel shows; take your pick. I vote for Good vs Evil and Farscape.
Old 08-24-08, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
This Stargate: Universe sounds much like Star Trek: Voyager.
You obviously haven't heard the details -- Ben Browder will be the star, and he'll go through a wormhole and end up on a ship -- a living ship -- full of escaped prisoners, and have to run from an insane military commander.

----------------
Now playing: Adam Curry & John Dvorak - NA-044-2008-08-23
via FoxyTunes
Old 08-24-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
You obviously haven't heard the details -- Ben Browder will be the star, and he'll go through a wormhole and end up on a ship -- a living ship -- full of escaped prisoners, and have to run from an insane military commander.

----------------
Now playing: Adam Curry & John Dvorak - NA-044-2008-08-23
via FoxyTunes
Yeah, you're right, I didn't.
Old 08-24-08, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Stargate: Universe has the same basic plot as Space: 1999.
Or perhaps Starlost... but am not looking forward to it.
Old 08-25-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After last week's episode where we see Rodney turn into Rainman, I don't think I am going to miss this show too much.
Old 08-25-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I find it interesting that this thread has provided more feedback than most of the previous SGA threads.
Old 08-25-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
I find it interesting that this thread has provided more feedback than most of the previous SGA threads.
I'm sure it has to do with more fans in general than watch weekly. For example, I'm only through season 3 on DVD.
Old 08-25-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riley_dude
After last week's episode where we see Rodney turn into Rainman, I don't think I am going to miss this show too much.
Thirty seconds in I couldn't help but think "Hewlett has gone full retard."
Old 08-25-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Heh, I just posted a 'full retard' comment in the Gateworld forum...wonder how long till they ban me.

D

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.