TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dish Network again weighs DirecTV deal: report

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dish Network again weighs DirecTV deal: report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080805/...shnetwork_dc_2

Tue Aug 5, 9:47 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - U.S. satellite-TV provider Dish Network Corp (DISH.O) is weighing another attempt to merge with rival DirecTV Group Inc (DTV.O), The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.

No formal proposal has been made, but Dish executives and DirecTV representatives have had general discussions about the idea in recent months, the newspaper reported in its electronic edition.

On Monday Dish reported a loss in subscribers, which may prompt the company to consider "a major strategic shift" that could involve reviving attempts to combine with DirecTV, the newspaper said.

The two satellite broadcasters attempted a deal in 2001, when Dish tried to acquire DirecTV's then-owner Hughes Electronics Corp, but the efforts were abandoned due to regulatory opposition.

Dish Chairman and Chief Executive Charles Ergen thinks the regulatory and competitive environment may be more receptive for a Dish-DirecTV deal now, the newspaper said.

Dish and DirecTV could not be immediately reached for comment.

(Reporting by Jessica Hall, editing by Dave Zimmerman)

(For more M&A news and our DealZone blog, go to http://www.reuters.com/investing/news/mergers)

This will be interesting to see if this turns out the same as XM - Sirius.

Chris
Old 08-05-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
This will be interesting to see if this turns out the same as XM - Sirius.
I'm fairly certain that merger is entirely responsible for this idea.

Not sure how I feel about it though. If it meant DirecTV could end the TiVo embargo, I'd be 100% on board!

Last edited by rfduncan; 08-05-08 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
I'm not sure how this would work since Directv was just recently sold to Liberty media. Does that mean Echostar is willing to throw in the towel and sell themselves off to Liberty?
Old 08-05-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
If this would mean quicker adoption of HD channels when they start broadcasting and cheaper HD, I'm down. Having Tivo back would be a plus.
Old 08-05-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Why would this mean cheaper service? I'm convinced something is going on, but I don't know what. Fios rolled out and was significantly cheaper than either cable option (Cox or Comcast - not that you could pick), but since then prices have inceased about 10%.

Overall your choices went from 3 (1 cable, 2 dish) to 4 (1 cable, 2 disc, 1 fiber), but prices have not come down despite this! Heck, the number is possibly 5 if you have the ability to get AT&T's UVerse service. I wonder if part of this has to do with fees associated with "new" customers and the continual gaming of the system that customers try to play by switching.
Old 08-05-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I'm not saying it would, but I'd be supportive of the deal if they did.
Old 08-05-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Having Tivo back would be a plus.
I don't know how a merger might work out, but if I had to give up my Dish DVR for Tivo, I'd drop the service faster than you could say "Tivo sucks!"
Old 08-05-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts
I am not a fan of DishTV since they don't carry NFL Sunday Ticket.
Old 08-05-08, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the exact reason I dropped Dish and went with DirecTv. I wanted The SUNDAY TICKET!!!!

I was with Dish for about 4 years and decided to switch over about two months ago. I immedietly ordered The Sunday Ticket and I'm ready as hell for the regular season to start up.

I will admit though, it took a little getting used to DirecTv's DVR service. The one compaint I have is that it's not a dual tuner. I like being able to record in the living room and watching what I record in the bedroom. Other than that, it's pretty good.
Old 08-05-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
I don't know how a merger might work out, but if I had to give up my Dish DVR for Tivo, I'd drop the service faster than you could say "Tivo sucks!"
I feel the same way. Tivo was far worse then the current DVR from Dish.