Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Issues that pull you out of "suspended disbelief"....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I know this isn't a great show. Just enjoyable drek.

On the show "Two and a Half Men", Charlie is supposed to be the "cool" guy. Makes good money. Cool house on the beach. Always scoring with hot women. Has a casual/cool wardrobe; generally cargo shorts and bowling style shirts.

But he often wears loafers with high white tube socks. I am not a fashion maven by any stretch, but have been told I have a nice style. Loafers and high tube socks? And he scores plenty of tail???? It is such a stupid thing, but it pulls me out of the show every time I see it.

Any other weird quirks from TV that just scream "No way in hell! That wouldn't happen!!!"?

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 07-09-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I see your point - but as girls get older, they take what they can get.

and I guess $ + good looking > tube socks (they can change that later)
Old 07-09-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bugaboo is when a TV show has a family eating breakfast, there is always a big pitcher of milk on the kitchen table. I have never known anyone to pour milk from a carton into a pitcher to serve it. Maybe if you were having a fancy brunch with company, but when it is just a regular weekday morning?

Old 07-09-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Only two come to mind:

1. Brushing teeth with no toothpaste.
2. Eating Chinese food with chopsticks.
Old 07-09-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes when I see people "drinking" something like soda or coffee it looks TOTALLY like they have nothing in the container/cup. I have noticed this on Scrubs a lot. Can't they just put water in there to give the container some weight?
Old 07-09-08, 10:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It drives me nuts in sitcoms where the family just leaves their door unlocked and characters stroll in unannounced. Family Ties was particularly guilty of this...its a wonder the Keatons had time to ever to conceive any children!
Old 07-09-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jiffy97
Let me preface this by saying I know this isn't a great show. Just enjoyable drek.

On the show "Two and a Half Men", Charlie is supposed to be the "cool" guy. Makes good money. Cool house on the beach. Always scoring with hot women. Has a casual/cool wardrobe; generally cargo shorts and bowling style shirts.

But he often wears loafers with high white tube socks. I am not a fashion maven by any stretch, but have been told I have a nice style. Loafers and high tube socks? And he scores plenty of tail???? It is such a stupid thing, but it pulls me out of the show every time I see it.

Any other weird quirks from TV that just scream "No way in hell! That wouldn't happen!!!"?

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Hmmmm, I guess am not a fashion maven either as I totally see no issue with this, nor would I ever even notice what kind of shoes or socks some one is wearing.
Old 07-09-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This can go for movies as well, but I hate when people set up a time to meet each other and then never mention the actual time. Ya can't take one more second in the script to say, "8:00pm"?
Old 07-09-08, 10:48 AM

"Enhancing" a badly pixelated digital photo to show a crystal clear shot of something.
Old 07-09-08, 10:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Selective amnesia, particularly in genre shows. For example, on Buffy the murder/disappearance rate in Sunnydale must be sky-high. Yet people walk around at night without a care in the world.

Or in Star Trek. Every time they encounter an alien with the cloaking device, they devise a new way to work around it. How about writing down the first thing you did and making it Starfleet procedure?

And speaking of the cloaking device, it seems like this would be a handy thing for the Enterprise to have. Yet they only engaged it for one episode, and then it was forgotten about.
Old 07-09-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
"Enhancing" a badly pixelated digital photo to show a crystal clear shot of something.

Annoying to no end in the crime procedurals. The worst of this was in a CSI Miami where they were able to enhance the video image off a reflection from the knife the killer used.
Old 07-09-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Bells ringing in class room scenes. Everyone jumps up like they didn't know it was time to go, teacher scrambling to finish, etc.

Drives me crazy!
Old 07-09-08, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
And speaking of the cloaking device, it seems like this would be a handy thing for the Enterprise to have. Yet they only engaged it for one episode, and then it was forgotten about.
I thought the Federation had signed some sort of peace agreement saying they wouldn't use cloaking technology.
Old 07-09-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

555-Anything

The post-coital armpit tuck women do with the comforter (They NEVER do that)

No one every saying, "Bye" when ending a phone conversation.

-Doc
Old 07-09-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It drives me nuts in sitcoms where the family just leaves their door unlocked and characters stroll in unannounced. Family Ties was particularly guilty of this...its a wonder the Keatons had time to ever to conceive any children!
Or that they were never murdered in their sleep...
Old 07-09-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-09-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
What bugs me is when, in a sitcom, one character pulls another character aside to tell them something they don't want a third party to be privy to. They generally only move about five feet away and speak in normal voices.

"Oh, my God, Monica! I slept with Dave last week and he doesn't even remember me! I hope Ross doesn't find out!" (And Ross is standing something like three feet away.)
Old 07-09-08, 12:09 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Close-ups of couples "kissing" when they are obviously not. Ewww...
Old 07-09-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Another one with the CSIs - that they are able to run a barrage of tests in a single day, immediately after the murder, and crack the case.
Old 07-09-08, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
2. Eating Chinese food with chopsticks.
Really? You never use chopsticks?
Old 07-09-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sitcom weddings that rarely take place in a church. It's usually the living room, or the backyard, etc.

Always getting the same table or booth in a restaurant.
Old 07-09-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Another one with the CSIs - that they are able to run a barrage of tests in a single day, immediately after the murder, and crack the case.
Or that the entire department or group is working on one case at a given time, i.e. CSI, Navy NCIS, Criminal Minds, etc.
Old 07-09-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Sitcom weddings that rarely take place in a church. It's usually the living room, or the backyard, etc.

Always getting the same table or booth in a restaurant.

I can see these being issues, but they wouldn't stand out for me. Very few of my friends have been married in a church and we always get the same booth at our local haunt.

-Doc
Old 07-09-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Annoying to no end in the crime procedurals. The worst of this was in a CSI Miami where they were able to enhance the video image off a reflection from the knife the killer used.
Lets be honest here, "CSI: Miami" is just a fairy tale with some realistic elements.
Old 07-09-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Lets be honest here, "CSI: Miami" is just a fairy tale with some realistic elements.
I thought it was just a long commercial paid by the city to highlight hot chicks, beaches, and waterfront mansions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.