Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Itself - Series Premire 6-5-08 (NBC)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe no one else is excited about this.

Fear Itself premires tonight on NBC at 10:00 PM. Personaly I think it looks great, but I've been fooled before.

I found some good reviews here, but I haven't read them yet because i want to go into it cold.

I love horror anthologies.
Old 06-05-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll probably DVR this. Hadn't heard about it before so I'll check it out.
Old 06-05-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tivo as well. Love a good anthology series. Even 'Love, American Style'!
Old 06-05-08, 07:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This is Masters of Horrors Season 3 dumbed down for NBC. Goodbye nudity and gore.
Old 06-05-08, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was already pissed off from the move from Showtime to NBC (as GizmoDVD had stated) .....but here it is....19 minutes in....and all I can see is the STUPID "Nashville Stars Monday at 9 " on the lower left hand of the screen.
I HATE that....and I can't ignore it....it takes away from the experience of watching it.
So...after this episode I am done....if it is that good I will just wait and buy it.
Stupid Networks.
Old 06-05-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I always liked the concept of the series but always felt the execution was lacking. It just has too much potential to squander on recycled stories.

I am curious to see how Masters of Italian Horror turns out.
Old 06-05-08, 10:51 PM
Banned

was it good?
Old 06-05-08, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by puddytay
was it good?
Yah, I thought it was quite good. Except zoomgirl is right, the promo pop-ups suck.
Old 06-06-08, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed this episode and it had some descent network-level gore. Yeah, I hated the pop-ups too.
Old 06-06-08, 08:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I thought it sucked. There was no (real) explanation why that one guy was hurt and why were they carrying all those guns?

This is apparently the best out of the first 3 episodes that were sent out to reviewers...
Old 06-06-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I found it lacking. Sure, it had its gory moments, but I didn't feel a heck of a lot of tension or sympathy for any of the characters.

And the ending...

Spoiler:
If the main character was about to change into a vampire, why didn't the girl just off him before the transformation was complete, rather than automatically resign herself to continuing to live a life blocked off from society in order to keep him fed? That's what I gathered from her slowly closing the door at the end. It's not like they had a strong emotional bond or anything, considering they just met the night before. She could just kill him quickly and finally be free. Didn't make sense to me.

Mr. Flix
Old 06-06-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Man, that NASHVILLE STAR MONDAY AT 9 promo ruined it for me too. Not only is it constantly there, but they seem to have moved it closer to the center of the screen. I could 'almost' handle these when they were tucked into the corner, but now it's right out in the middle. Presumable so that it won't be cropped out when all those people with new digital converter boxes zoom to fit their 4x3 screens. Wouldn't want them to miss out on this valuable info.

Pass.
Old 06-06-08, 09:39 AM

I just watched the premire this morning and I over all liked it, but I may wait til dvd to see the rest since it's been said that when this comes to dvd it's going to be released uncut. My questions are why Showtime got rid of the show in the first place, since they rerun MOH pretty much every Friday and Saturday night. Second, why did Mick Garris leave the show. All he's listed as is show creator and thats it.
Old 06-06-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
My questions are why Showtime got rid of the show in the first place, since they rerun MOH pretty much every Friday and Saturday night. Second, why did Mick Garris leave the show. All he's listed as is show creator and thats it.
I would love to know these answers too.
Old 06-06-08, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I found it lacking. Sure, it had its gory moments, but I didn't feel a heck of a lot of tension or sympathy for any of the characters.

And the ending...

Spoiler:
If the main character was about to change into a vampire, why didn't the girl just off him before the transformation was complete, rather than automatically resign herself to continuing to live a life blocked off from society in order to keep him fed? That's what I gathered from her slowly closing the door at the end. It's not like they had a strong emotional bond or anything, considering they just met the night before. She could just kill him quickly and finally be free. Didn't make sense to me.

I liked the ending but didn't think of that angle you bring up.
Spoiler:
The woman was ready for the outside world when she thought the bad guy was ok enough to lead the way. So, I guess, when she saw he was doomed to be a vampire, she decided to return to the only world she feels she knows...babysitting vampires.
Old 06-07-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The HD video feed from RCN in DC kept going out for like 10 minutes at a time. All we had was audio. Ugh! Looked interesting enough, though.
Old 06-07-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It looked like it was filmed in the same location as Ginger Snaps 3 and since both featured pretty young women in the starring roles I kept getting the two storylines crossed in my mind. Overall I liked it well enough.
Old 06-08-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Second, why did Mick Garris leave the show. All he's listed as is show creator and thats it.
Don't know the answer to your first question but the June issue of Fangoria answers your second:
In the midst of his enthusiasm, Keith Addis[executive producer] does concede one note of disappointment. Garris exited the series in Janurary, after non-union writers were brought in to tweak scripts during the Writer's Guild strike. "We were saddened that it didn't work out for Mick to be a part of this," Addis says, but while e respect Garris' solidarity with his fellow scribes, he doesn't believe the split needed to happen. "That was really Mick's choice, because he wasn't contractually prevented from being involved, in my opinion. We're sorry that he's not part of the team again."
Old 06-09-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mugwump
It looked like it was filmed in the same location as Ginger Snaps 3 and since both featured pretty young women in the starring roles I kept getting the two storylines crossed in my mind. Overall I liked it well enough.
I thought the exact same thing!
Old 06-10-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried to watch my recording last night but the stupid DirecTV DVR recorded a blank screen. I think I also recorded it on my basement Tivo so I will have to watch it next time I work out. (although I am currently working through Day Break for my elliptical-watching.)
Old 06-29-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yikes, this weeks was awful.Very cliched and hackey writing and the twist at the end was dumb and completely illogical.
Old 06-29-08, 08:02 PM

I did like the episode where the antagonist and protagonist switched bodies. It wrapped up quickly and the premise isn't entirely original but I enjoyed the set up and the attempt to continue living his life straight. It's the best episode in my opinion and the only one where I would have liked to see it fleshed out more.
Old 06-30-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
Yikes, this weeks was awful.Very cliched and hackey writing and the twist at the end was dumb and completely illogical.
I agree. I was bored for pretty much the entire episode and saw the twist coming even though it didn't make much sense.
Old 07-18-08, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What a fun zombie flick tonight.
Old 07-18-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I enjoyed it. I was looking forward to see what Darren Lynn Bousman (Saw II,III,IV) would do. I caught onto the twist about 2/3 of the way in, but liked it anyway, one of my favorite episodes so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.