DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 435 Posts
did you really just say "ending was fail"
Old 06-01-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by whotony
did you really just say "ending was fail"

Actually, I'm surprised it wasn't described as "epic fail".

I know this, because Tyler knows this.

btw, what a horrible waste of time this was for me. I also can not believe Ridley Scott had anything to do with this. Tony Scott, perhaps, but not Ridley.
Old 06-01-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
This reminded me of all of those horrible TV movie-of-the-weeks from the '70s, and not in a good way. It was filled with more cliches than you could shake a stick at, pointless dalogue and characters, phony drama, too many plot holes to count, c-list actors giving d-list performances, and so on and so on... The entire self-destruct of the lab sequence was one giant cringingly bad and amateurish presentation in every imaginable way. The scene where what's his name is being guided by what's her name to the deactivation panel should be submitted to The Hague as a possible crime against humanity.
Old 06-02-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
watched maybe 20 minutes of it

i read the book years ago and it was pretty good. for the movie the producers and writers decided they needed to tell us again how they hate Bush.
Old 06-02-08, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
watched maybe 20 minutes of it

i read the book years ago and it was pretty good. for the movie the producers and writers decided they needed to tell us again how they hate Bush.
I presume you are talking about the A&E production and I don't get at all where this movie is anti Bush (and I hate Bush). Movies have had their conspiracy plots long before Bush.

One plot point I missed was why was Andromeda sent back from the future?
Old 06-02-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jack999
One plot point I missed was why was Andromeda sent back from the future?
Oh, it ended up being a rip from Star Trek 4:The Voyage Home, where what they needed to fight/cure the threat in the future could only still be found in the past - because of course, by that time (the future) we stupid humans had unwittingly trashed our natural resources in the pursuit of other gains.

In this case, it was the strip mining of the volcanic ocean vents, which is where the "Bacterium Inferno" was to be found -the only thing that seemed to kill Andromeda. They (presumably our future population), sent it back to the current time because it still existed in our time. We hadn't yet - but were on the course to- destroy it with the mining. Oh, that silly little bacteria couldn't possibly be of some important future use - we need those mineral ores now more than anything else.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 06-02-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 02:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The scene where what's his name is being guided by what's her name to the deactivation panel should be submitted to The Hague as a possible crime against humanity.
Old 06-02-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Oh, it ended up being a rip from Star Trek 4:The Voyage Home, where what they needed to fight/cure the threat in the future could only still be found in the past - because of course, by that time (the future) we stupid humans had unwittingly trashed our natural resources in the pursuit of other gains.

In this case, it was the strip mining of the volcanic ocean vents, which is where the "Bacterium Inferno" was to be found -the only thing that seemed to kill Andromeda. They (presumably our future population), sent it back to the current time because it still existed in our time. We hadn't yet - but were on the course to- destroy it with the mining. Oh, that silly little bacteria couldn't possibly be of some important future use - we need those mineral ores now more than anything else.
I suppose they could have sent a videotape from the future explaining this, completely with video footage, historical records indicating what will happen (ie, exact scores of ballgames, xxxx will die on xxxxx day, etc) along with a sample of the virus so it could be contained and tested in the past (ie, present day). But no, that would have made for a better movie than this.

Last edited by GradVT06; 06-02-08 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-02-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GradVT06
I suppose they could have sent a videotape from the future explaining this, completely with video footage, historical records indicating what will happen (ie, exact scores of ballgames, xxxx will die on xxxxx day, etc) along with a sample of the virus so it could be contained and tested in the past (ie, present day). But no, that would have made for a better movie than this.
1- Too simple of a solution, and it takes away most of the mystery aspect.

2- Who's to say they are even still using videotape in the future? Or, maybe vidoetape wouldn't have survive the journey. It's also possible that whatever they are using to record data on in the future - like the casing used to send back the Andromeda sample, perhaps - wouldn't work in the here and now. Remember, they said the technology used design and build that was way ahead of where we were at now, where it's only in the theoretical stage.

Again, this whole tangent they went off on to try and explain where Andromeda came form just made the story worse, and not better, or more interesting in my book. Yet another reason why the original is superior.
Old 06-04-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just got around to watching the first 2hr part last night.

All I can say is, WOW!

How could they take such a great story and make that piece of ?

I guess I will watch the second two hours for laughs but this was a really, really bad show.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 06-04-08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-04-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
I agree that this low-rent rehash would've been better left unmade. It's a shame too, as I dug the cast mostly and think a different story with this crew would've been pretty good cheesy fun.
Old 06-06-08, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,638 Posts
This miniseries was a big disappointment. I wonder if anyone actually bought the DVD that just came out a week after it aired.

The thumb scene with Daniel Dae Kim was hilarously bad TV.

I was honestly bored for most of the 4 hours as the core actors were just sitting in that damn basement.

I did not understand the final scene where Justin Louis and Andre Braugher were killed. What the hell was that about??
Old 06-06-08, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It was filled with more cliches than you could shake a stick at
Spot on. I was honestly surprised they showed enough "restraint" not to have the super computer go rogue and attempt to kill everyone with surgical lasers, etc.

God this was a royal P.O.S.

Last edited by ultimaton; 06-06-08 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 02:59 PM

I finally got around to taking a look at this last night...I lasted maybe an hour before I hit the DELETE button. Not good.

And was I the only one singing "Car Wash" while the Wildfire team was going through their bubbly decontamination?
Old 06-22-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Spot on. I was honestly surprised they showed enough "restraint" not to have the super computer go rogue and attempt to kill everyone with surgical lasers, etc.

God this was a royal P.O.S.
Minor book spoiler:
Spoiler:

To be fair in the book there were automated tranquilizer guns in the core. As the hero climbed the core he was hit with darts. He fought sleep as he struggled to turn off the autodestruct.

Also in the book the air was evacuated from the facility 30 seconds or so before the explosion to "increase the efficiency".

I did miss the robo-doc in this version. Instead of a musical montage of people taking showers they could have shown the interaction between the scientists and the automated medical robot. That was one of the more prescient parts of the book, particularly the speech recognition problems.
Old 08-26-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
just got around to watching it
wasn't bad, but the unshielded reactor was a joke
and there was a lot of extra political shit that did nothing for the plot
Old 08-26-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Originally Posted by DJariya
I did not understand the final scene where Justin Louis and Andre Braugher were killed. What the hell was that about??
all part of the stupid conspiracy theory shit they threw into the movie
Old 08-26-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Rick Schroeder didn't want to be called Ricky anymore?
yet he's in the credits as Ricky
Old 08-27-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
I thought Rick Schroeder didn't want to be called Ricky anymore?
yet he's in the credits as Ricky
Apparently, now that he's actually starting to look old, Ricky isn't quite as unappealing as it once was.

I don't know the answer, but I noticed that too.

Man, this thread just brought up bad memories of this mini. I have no clue why I sat through the whole thing... I guess I was just *hoping* it would get better. It didn't.