Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Top Gear - Series 11 Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Top Gear - Series 11 Discussion

I belive the original June 15 air date was revoked, but new information did come out to include:

We worked out a plan for tweaking the guest spot, we decided we'd get some new chairs, and on top of that we dreamt up some good ideas for films. Most exciting for me is that we've finally come up with another big race - you know, car versus something or other.

The last time we did one was a couple of years ago, with the plane against the Veyron, and in hindsight we lost the plot in that one - too pompous, too overblown and preposterous, too much work on the scripting to make it funny. This one is back to basics, more hardcore, mega car, mega opponent, with a solid premise. And a clue for the geeks: we did it in Japan.

Elsewhere, we've tackled rural issues such as the fox hunting ban and fascist ramblers. With the ingenious use of cars, we go to war, literally, with a German version of Top Gear (which incidentally means Sabine is back) and there's a very exciting shootout with the RS6 against the most suicidal of skiers.

Jeremy also reckons he has an ingenious plan for improving British police cars, so we'll be testing that theory, and we've always said you can't be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa, so now it's time to put our money where our mouth is.

There's some good metal too - new Evo X against the Impreza, CLK Black and hopefully the Mazda Furai. Overall though, the other thing we're going to do is try and speed up a bit.
Should be good fun as usual! I hope they get back to more of a S7/8 feel than the last few. As good as they were I felt they were relying too much on random "co*king about" and less on cars. I felt the previous seasons had a better balance and that the random bits were more car focus. As such, I find it odd that he called out the Veyron race as that was once of my favorites.

More: http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planett...ies-exclusive/
Old 05-20-08, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That Veyron race was pretty good, but I could see where they might have gone overboard with May and Hammond's airplane adventure.

If they have the Furai on there, they should have just the engine sound through the whole segment, no music or Jeremy blabbering about.
Old 05-20-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm kind of torn. I do like those segments, although I prefer the ones where they buy older cars and compete, but in both cases the last few seasons those types of segments have seemed overly scripted and stale. The rest of it sounds very good. Except for the skiers thing, those are always over produced. I love Sabine, so it's will be nice to have her back.
Old 05-20-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
This is from the Magazine edition, but I'm sure it'll be in the show...

As such, spoiler but..

ABU DHABI - Psst, buddy, can you spare me a sports car? Yes, evidently, three of them. This weekend Top Gear, the UK-based car magazine, which is in the country for a photo shoot, sent out an urgent request for an unusual car, the million-dollar Bugatti Veyron.

It was hoping for one. Instead, it was offered three of the vehicles, which cost more than Dhs 4.4 million (USD $1.2m) each. “No other place in the world could we have found three Bugattis in a span of 48 hours,” said a relieved Charlie Turner, the creative director for the magazine.

The cars were tracked down by the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority and belong to local owners who wish to remain anonymous. Built by Volkswagen, the 1,000-horsepower vehicle can reach 255 MPH (407 KPH). One car in the shoot, a gleaming aluminium-bodied model, is one of only five in the world.

The Corniche area and Jabel Hafeet were briefly closed off for the shoot, which featured the Stig, Top Gear’s mysterious, overall-clad driver. Top Gear, paired with a BBC television show of the same name, sells more than a million copies a month.

Old 05-20-08, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just found this show and have really enjoyed the 6 episodes I have seen so far (have some catching up to do).

The guest segment really the only spot that is hit or miss depending on the guest. Some have been fascinating and some I just had to fast forward to their race lap in the "Reasonably Priced Car".

Captain Slow just cracks me up. The only problem with the show is it make me want to go buy a European sports car.
Old 05-20-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmansir
I'm kind of torn. I do like those segments, although I prefer the ones where they buy older cars and compete, but in both cases the last few seasons those types of segments have seemed overly scripted and stale. The rest of it sounds very good. Except for the skiers thing, those are always over produced. I love Sabine, so it's will be nice to have her back.
They all are scripted, of course, to add some comedy. I don't mind script-ized as long as it's funny.