TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Men in Trees" cut down

Old 05-04-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Men in Trees" cut down

Well this kinda sucks

TV Guide is reporting that ABC has canceled "Men in Trees."

This isn't a huge surprise (I was actually kind of expecting it), I'm just saddened because this was a cute, little drama in the same tradition of "Gilmore Girls" and had a quirky nature that is missing in all other shows right now.
Old 05-04-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never watched the show...but I always wanted to. Guess I'll wait for the DVDs now. It always interfered with my other shows and ABC played musical chairs with its timeslot.
Old 05-04-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FUCK!!!! Damn this sucks...not totally unexpected, but still bullshit.
Old 05-04-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Men gone I'm going to assume October Road is toast too. The actor who plays Big Kat just signed up for a role in a plot for ABC...damnit.
Old 05-05-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ABC sucks! If they left the show on one night and quit moving it around more people might have watched.
I always had to hire Columbo or Monk to find it on TV.
Old 05-05-08, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
ABC sucks! If they left the show on one night and quit moving it around more people might have watched.
I always had to hire Columbo or Monk to find it on TV.
A very valid point. I also think that if Warner Brothers had released the first season DVDs last summer that would have helped bring in other viewers as well.
Old 05-05-08, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
If this show was produced by ABC Studios instead of WB, then I think ABC wouldn't have jerked it around so much. Seems like most shows produced by their own in-house studios get much more support from the network.
Old 05-05-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last episode they aired could stand as a series finale, I suppose. Jack and Marian seem to have it together, Annie and Patrick are on separate tracks, with Patrick working out well in New York. They left the Buzz and Mai storyline dangling, though.
Old 05-05-08, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, it must be the networks fault.
Old 05-05-08, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ayre
Yes, it must be the networks fault.
Well the show did change timeslots 6 times and had 2 very long hiatuses in just 2 years.
Old 05-05-08, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by N2DVD
The last episode they aired could stand as a series finale, I suppose. Jack and Marian seem to have it together, Annie and Patrick are on separate tracks, with Patrick working out well in New York. They left the Buzz and Mai storyline dangling, though.
They are still airing the rest of the episodes that have been filmed so far, and they did manage to film a series finale ending, in case the show was cancelled. We'll get resolution.
Old 05-05-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't really like this, but I was surprised how it managed to survive so long without getting cut.
Old 05-05-08, 10:14 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
woops, looks like its time for Anne Heche to swap lovers again........
Old 05-05-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife will be disappointed.

While I kind of liked it during the first season, the second season got on my nerves and was pretty damn blah.
Old 05-05-08, 11:26 AM

Yeah, I can't say I am super-bummed over this news. It was a nice little show, but I got annoyed at this past season with the extended Patrick amnesia subplot.
Old 05-05-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still about 6 episodes behind this season (I think the last I saw was the first or second episode after Patrick's amnesia kicked in, and now he realized what a loser he was before the amnesia).
Old 05-05-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is a network which failed to realize the potential of Twin Peaks and Police Squad! as well as one that should have never been 100 feet away from a cartoon based on a Kevin Smith cult classic. And yet they've had According to Jim on for seven seasons.

So of course this gets axed. My mom likes this show a lot, so she'll be disappointed, and she has generally good taste in TV (except for her and my stepdad's borderline-psychotic American Idol obsession).
Old 05-05-08, 03:06 PM

damn!!! was really into this show too, seems like i always get burned when i watch a show from the beginning
Old 05-05-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry to see it go (I loved the characters), but the show seemed to be getting a little monotonous: the Patrick amnesia plot went on for way too long, and the pattern of "man/woman says or does something to piss off partner, angst ensues, cue indie pop tune during the makeup" was getting old fast. I'm not sure if there was a lot more they could do to shake things up without making the characters look silly. Here's hoping the season finale wraps things up in a satisfying way.

Last edited by mike7162; 05-06-08 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B.A.
My wife will be disappointed.

While I kind of liked it during the first season, the second season got on my nerves and was pretty damn blah.

Ditto.

While I watched with her early on, when it came back it just wasn't interesting.

Although, it was more enjoyable than "Brothers and Sisters," which I could never stand.
Old 05-06-08, 11:11 AM

I remember hearing in the now-defunct TV Guide podcast that this show was offered to the Lifetime network and they turned it down (bad move as it would be a good show for them). So I guess that there isn't much hope for a cable revival. It is a shame, as it was a sweet show.

That said, I don't feel much anger over this. Network TV is a business, not a charity, and the show never did well, which was the reason it got moved around so much.