CSI loses another regular cast member?

Old 04-14-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CSI loses another regular cast member?

TV Guide link in the spoiler with text:

Spoiler:
http://community.tvguide.com/blog-en...Gary/800037506

With all the attention focused on William Petersen's successful contract negotiations, this ginormous scoopbit nearly slipped right by: Sources confirm to me exclusively that original CSIer Gary Dourdan whose contract is also set to expire next month has informed producers that he is leaving the show. Although a precise timeframe is not known, CSI's May 15 season finale could serve as Warrick's swan song.

Regarding Dourdan's exit, a CBS spokesperson says, "We can't confirm or deny this information."

This is the second major departure to rock CSI this season. As anyone with a pulse and/or access to TVGuide.com knows, Jorja Fox made her final appearance as Sara in November. The good news: Marg Helgenberger and George Eads are expected to follow Petersen's lead and re-up with the show.

Meanwhile, CSI execs aren't wasting any time searching for Dourdan's replacement. I'm told producers have put out a casting call for a new male series regular in his late twenties to early thirties to play Ray Santoro, a "handsome, smart and athletic" CSI who transfers from Henderson to join the graveyard shift at the Las Vegas crime lab.

OK, CSI fans: Are you sad to see Dourdan/Warrick go? And in terms of the potential impact to the show, is this less than, equal to or greater than Fox's exit last fall? Too shocked to process it all? Splash some cold Snapple on your face and start discussing!

Very sad to hear this.
Old 04-14-08, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't understand this.

With the money, fame, SECURITY of the CSI franchise-

why would anyone NOT want to ride this gravy train into the sun and milk as much residual money as possible from this?
Old 04-14-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a tad strange. I mean, it's not like Clooney leaving ER where it was obvious he was going to be a movie star. Of course, maybe Dourdan (and Fox) just wanted to do something new... 8 years on a show is a long time. It's kind of amazing that they've been able to keep the core cast as long as they have.

But in the end, since this is an ensemble, they can easily replace characters. The only one that would be a tough loss, IMO, would be Petersen. The rest are interchangable IMO.
Old 04-14-08, 05:40 PM

If it were Helgenberger, I'd jump for joy.
Old 04-14-08, 05:48 PM

I was glad to see Jorja " Fish Face" Fox leave, I will be sad to see Gary Dourdan leave, maybe he feels that he does not have enough to do, not enough screen time.
Old 04-14-08, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gary Dourdan and Marg just need one romp in the hay, then he can call it a night.
Old 04-14-08, 07:07 PM

I just read in TV Guide that Jorja Fox might come back. It's just a possibility.
Old 04-14-08, 07:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The only one that would be a tough loss, IMO, would be Petersen. The rest are interchangable IMO.
I agree. It's always been Grissom's show. Once he leaves, the show's basically done. The rest of them can come and go. Although I did like Jorja.
Old 04-14-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't blame him at all. 8 years is a very long time to do one show. I don't see him becoming a huge star post-CSI, but he will definitely get some work.
Old 04-14-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't blame him at all. 8 years is a very long time to do one show. I don't see him becoming a huge star post-CSI, but he will definitely get some work.
Sure, he'll get work, but will it ever be as good as the work he has now? CSI is a cash cow. He can ride that gravy train for at least 3-5 more years. Then, he'll be able to never work again with all the residuals he'll get. Just seems stupid to leave a show that's on top of it's game, ratings-wise. We should officially re-name this move. He's pulling a "Jeff Conaway!"
Old 04-14-08, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Just seems stupid to leave a show that's on top of it's game, ratings-wise. We should officially re-name this move. He's pulling a "pre-CSI: Miami David Caruso circa 1994!"
Fixed.
Old 04-14-08, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you used to be able to call it a David Caruso. But he came back and has another hit TV show, so it doesn't work so much anymore.
Old 04-14-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I just read in TV Guide that Jorja Fox might come back. It's just a possibility.
Where, what, when? I miss her, would love to have her back.

I am not happy about this exit, I dont like change. Still, it's hard to NYPD Blue Caruso them for wanting to do something else as they have all actually put in a lot of time on the show. I just want more of their time thanks so milk that gravy train until the end bitches.
Old 04-14-08, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Well, you used to be able to call it a David Caruso. But he came back and has another hit TV show, so it doesn't work so much anymore.
Hence the pre-CSI: Miami circa 1994 part, just to keep it CSI related.
Old 04-14-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's hardly a David Caruso when he's been on the show for 8 seasons. It's more like a Shelley Long.

Too bad that Kessler character couldn't possibly come back.
Old 04-14-08, 11:44 PM

Okay, so he's pulling a Jorja Fox then.
Old 04-15-08, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by the big train
It's hardly a David Caruso when he's been on the show for 8 seasons. It's more like a Shelley Long.
Exactly. Caruso jumped ship for greener pastures after a season and a couple episodes.

Sucks to see him go, but they'll be fine as long as Peterson's there.
Old 04-15-08, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Caruso jumped ship because after 1 1/2 seasons in TV, he thought he was an A-list film star. I don't think Dourdain has that type of delusions of grandeur.

Dourdain will probably do some indy films and an occasional guest spot on some other shows.
Old 04-15-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You people are too young. It's called "pulling a McLean Stevenson"!
Old 04-15-08, 09:41 AM

Reminds me of that old SNL skit called "What Were You Thinking?" - they had people like Shelley Long on and asked that.
Old 04-15-08, 10:16 AM

CSI is all about Grissom. When is gone, so is the show.

New blood for the secondary parts is not a bad thing.
Old 04-15-08, 11:09 AM

Dourdan is getting into indie films and voiceover work, so along with the massive residuals he'll get from CSI being in syndication, he should be fine. But if I were one of the other stars, I'd ride that horse until Petersen decides to call it a wrap. Steady income like that can be hard to come by for most actors.
Old 04-15-08, 11:29 AM

Someone should make a miniseries/biopic about Frederick Douglass.

Gary Dourdan would be perfect as a young Douglass.

Old 04-15-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Someone should make a miniseries/biopic about Frederick Douglass.

Gary Dourdan would be perfect as a young Douglass.

Eh, Sam Jackson would be better.
Old 04-15-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to this article, it looks like Dourdan may return for some guest appearances.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/...ourdan-to.html

The insider says there's a chance that Dourdan, one of a handful of African-American men in leading, primetime roles, will reprise his role with occasional guest appearances in coming seasons.
So at least they aren't killing off Warrick. I assume he will either quit like Sara, or be fired as Grissom threatened him with after his problems from earlier in the season.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.