Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Ebert & Roeper - red headed stepchild for you too?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 06:40 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Here near Boston, the "At the Movies w/Ebert & Roeper" really gets the shaft... so much so, that at this point, I couldn't even tell you what time the show is SUPPOSED to air... I have to pad my tivo by about 1 hour on BOTH ends in order to catch the full show... on top of that, I THINK it is supposed to show at 11:45PM on Saturday night (cherry timeslot!), but then at times my tivo will record it 4PM on Sunday or 4PM on Saturday. Does this show not get any love in your TV market as well?
Old 04-14-08, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know it gets pre-empted almost every time now with baseball season on one of my recording slots. The other (I think 630 sunday) never does.
Old 04-14-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It used to be on at 2:05 early Monday morning and I also had to pad about 90 minutes. But, it got moved to 5:30AM Sunday a few months ago and it always starts on time now.

But, yup, it's not exactly treated well here either with those start times.
Old 04-14-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
It's on at 11:35pm Saturday nights here in the Pittsburgh area. I'm usually flipping back and forth between it and SNL. The show's really not the same without Ebert anyway, so I'm fine with the time slot.
Old 04-14-08, 09:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
10:30 am Sunday here, but it is frequently either preempted, where my DVR records it and has it labeled as At the Movies, but it has recorded some random local sports show instead... or it simply doesn't record at all. I'd say, on average, one out of four airings something goes wrong.
Old 04-14-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even when Ebert was actually on the show, it was near impossible to track it down, and it still never airs on time. I'd say it's preempted in one way or another at least 80% of the time here, so I cast a wide net with my TiVo and usually get lucky on ABC-7 out of Los Angeles.

das
Old 04-14-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Monday morning 12:30 AM in St Louis. It used to be 10:30 AM Sunday morning but changed this year when it went to a new station.
Old 04-14-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It airs here Sunday night after midnight. It always used to piss me off because I would have liked to see the reviews earlier in the weekend when I could actually go see the new films that were reviewed.

I took it off my DVR after Ebert went on medical leave. Roeper is such an asshat and only was tolerable when Ebert was there to school him.

I still can't get over his dismissal of House of Mirth as "a hat movie".
Old 04-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Roeper's became a much different reviewer without Ebert. So many of his guest reviewers are cranky douchebags that he's been forced to become the more reasonable and forgiving host.

das
Old 04-14-08, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It always gets shafted near me thats for sure...
This pisses me off a great amount considering this is one of the only shows I watch when it actually aires. Its not like I can wait until they release this show on DVD.
But yeah it aires at 1:00 AM Monday Morning after CSI: MIAMI (which from the few brief moments I have seen of the Show waiting for Ebert & Roeper I must adhere that it is indeed one of the worst shows in the history of television...)
But, what usually happens is it gets pre-empted and I have to wait until like 1:30 or even 2:00 AM to catch it...
Old 04-14-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
It gets moved around a lot for me too. It's currently on Sat Night/Sunday morning at 1:30 AM, but is frequently moved around for sports coverage. On top of that, the local weathermen love to interrupt this show whenever it's raining for a couple 5-minute weather updates. Fortunately it's pretty easy to find it online and short enough to not be a monster download.
Old 04-14-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Odd, but in L.A. the local ABC station (Disney-owned) has been excellent about airing E&R (also Disney-owned) regularly. Go figure.
Old 04-14-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
11:30pm every Sunday on the ABC affiliate in Portland, OR.

I can't recall any recent time where it hasn't aired then.
Old 04-14-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
But yeah it aires at 1:00 AM Monday Morning after CSI: MIAMI (which from the few brief moments I have seen of the Show waiting for Ebert & Roeper I must adhere that it is indeed one of the worst shows in the history of television...)
Same here. It has aired at 1:07am Mondays on CTV for years now. And that CSI show does look like shite, with that wretchedly overacting Caruso and the unbearable theme song.
Old 04-14-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Roeper's became a much different reviewer without Ebert. So many of his guest reviewers are cranky douchebags that he's been forced to become the more reasonable and forgiving host.

das
Roeper has been using Michael Phillips now for what, the last two months or so, which is fine by me, since he was my favorite of the guest critics. He stands in nice contrast to Roeper's utter uselessness as a critic.

As for airings, over here in the Bay Area, the show plays at 6:30 PM sharp every Saturday and Sunday.
Old 04-14-08, 06:15 PM

My DVR usually records a paid advertisement in its scheduled time slot.

Can you watch it online?
Old 04-14-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by IamHydrogen1
My DVR usually records a paid advertisement in its scheduled time slot.

Can you watch it online?
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...r/balcony.html
Old 04-14-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has always been a total crapshoot when it is actually aired here, too. Over its lifetime its changed local affiliates about a dozen times & none of them ever seem to show it on time. I'm surprised it's stayed on the air so long since everywhere it seems to get the same treatment. I pretty much just watch it online now. Lyons & Bailes is not treated much better.
Old 04-14-08, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts
As a syndicated show on local networks, this show always gets bumped around for whatever live programming the network is running that night. I gave up on a season pass but a solution has arrived. If one has Directv, the REEL channel(#238) just picked this up in a regular, non-preempted time slot with the first airing at 6:30 PM every Tuesday.
Old 04-14-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't even have a clue when or on what station this is airing locally anymore, so I haven't even seen it in months, if not well over a year. I do know that I stopped liking the show after Gene Siskel went off to the big balcony in the sky, and now that Ebert isn't even on it anymore, I really don't see the point of continuing with it.

And no doubt, Richard Roeper is the one of the lamest critics I've ever seen. I have no idea how this guy got his newspaper gig, let alone the chance to replace Gene Siskel.
Old 04-14-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Haven't seen this three time since Ebert left the show. If I want to hear about something specific, I just find the review on the net.
Old 04-14-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
11:30pm every Sunday on the ABC affiliate in Portland, OR.

I can't recall any recent time where it hasn't aired then.
Same here in KC.

I think I heard in some markets it airs on Friday. That would be the ideal time...get reviews for the movie opening that weekend BEFORE the weekend is over.

I have family that lives in Minnesota and I hear complaints all the time the show gets the shaft on the schedule there.

It's really a shame, too, because I think the show is actually better without Ebert. They just need to figure out a new ratings system since they can't use the thumbs anymore.
Old 04-15-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Haven't seen this three time since Ebert left the show. If I want to hear about something specific, I just find the review on the net.
http://bventertainment.go.com/tv/bue...bertandroeper/

I haven't watched it on CTV since. "Ebert & Roeper" and "Reel Talk" all get horrible timeslots. "Ebert & Roeper" is on at like 12:35 or 1:35am and "Reel Talk" is on at like 4:00am on NBC.

I guess they figure film lovers don't sleep.
Old 04-15-08, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sex Fiend
And no doubt, Richard Roeper is the one of the lamest critics I've ever seen. I have no idea how this guy got his newspaper gig, let alone the chance to replace Gene Siskel.
Roeper was OK at first, but he's really full of himself now. I can't stand to look at his smug face, which isn't much of a problem because I think it comes on at 1:35 AM on Saturday/Sunday in my area. And it always gets pushed back during college football season.
Old 04-15-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
It's really a shame, too, because I think the show is actually better without Ebert.
I wouldn't go that far, but it has finally found its stride since Ebert left. Michael Phillips as co-host has given the show a sense of respectability. He is even more smug than Roeper, but it is more likely that Roeper is mellowing out. There is a good conflict of opinion, although the fake insulting is way too transparent and they need to drop it altogether. They don't need to be Siskel & Ebert.

If given a full year of working together, Phillips & Roeper could possibly bring this show back to life. The guest hosting has nearly killed the show.

I record it every Sat morning at 5am. Rarely does it get moved or pre-empted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.