Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol, Final 8, April 8 & 10 plus America Gives Back (April 9)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be voted off this week?
David Archuleta
0%
David Cook
4.76%
Michael Johns
11.90%
Jason Castro
2.38%
Carly Smithson
11.90%
Brooke White
1.19%
Syesha Mercado
36.90%
Kristy Lee Cook
8.33%
Nobody will be voted off this week
22.62%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol, Final 8, April 8 & 10 plus America Gives Back (April 9)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mordred
He gave off a very Bono vibe this week
That performance was definitely this year's entry for World's Largest Crap. Hello! Hello!

das
Old 04-09-08, 11:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
He gave off a very Bono vibe this week, especially with the hand thing. That's not a good thing for me.
You know, I gave Cook a pass last week due to his health and family problems. Then he turns around and does this. Back to the "douchebag" column, my friend.

I love how Paula talked about "noticing" the words on his hand like it was subtle or something.
Old 04-09-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Archuleta
2. D. Cook
3. Johns
4. KLC
5. Castro
Old 04-09-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
You know, I gave Cook a pass last week due to his health and family problems. Then he turns around and does this. Back to the "douchebag" column, my friend.

I love how Paula talked about "noticing" the words on his hand like it was subtle or something.
Don't get me wrong though. I love the guy's voice and I hope to hell he beats Archuleta-bot.

I'll overlook all sorts of "douchebaggery" if the artist is putting out good music
Old 04-09-08, 11:50 AM

For the 3rd week in a row I feel like KLC did enough to survive and bump one of the better singers out before her. I actually thought she was the best last night.

Cook really coasted last night. Made the mistake of picking a song he likes, rather than one he could do something with.

I'd rather see Castro go but based on the response from the judges I believe KLC will be bumping Syesha this week, though I thought Carly was worse.

Syesha's only redeeming qualilty of her performance was the high note at the end. She misses too many transition notes every week and I don't think 1 note can save her anymore.

My top 5:
1- Kristy Lee
2- Brooke
3- David A.
4- David C.
5- Jason

Bottom 3 (best to worst):
3- Michael
2- Syesha
1- Carly
Old 04-09-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
For the 3rd week in a row I feel like KLC did enough to survive and bump one of the better singers out before her. I actually thought she was the best last night.
I firmly believe that KLC will be in the bottom three every week until she's booted.
Old 04-09-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He gave off a very Bono vibe this week, especially with the hand thing. That's not a good thing for me.
I thought it reminded me more of Eddie Vedder, when he scrawled Pro-Choice on his chest on SNL in the early 90's.

I wondered if he was going to use that hand to masturbate that night. "Give back" indeed.

I did not understand why everyone was piling on Carly. I don't like that song, but I did not think her performance was that bad.

I also did not understand the Castro love. He was as boring as he always is. Same with David Archuletta. Brooke was also sleep-inducing. At least Carly had some energy and made me pay attention.

I was glad Carly actually wore an outfit that showed off her waist, I am not understanding das' "flab" comment. I thought she looked very trim this week. Usually she wears these loose shirts that make her look pregnant, it was nice to see she has a waist.
Old 04-09-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I also did not understand the Castro love. He was as boring as he always is. Same with David Archuletta. Brooke was also sleep-inducing. At least Carly had some energy and made me pay attention.

I was glad Carly actually wore an outfit that showed off her waist, I am not understanding das' "flab" comment. I thought she looked very trim this week. Usually she wears these loose shirts that make her look pregnant, it was nice to see she has a waist.
Obviously, Das didn't have much to complain about her singing, so he just took a cheap shot at her figure.

Old 04-09-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She has the wrong body type for those high-waist pants, and the tightness of her belt gave way to some very unflattering shots. To be clear, I don't have a problem with her body type, just the wardrobe decisions that are not doing her any favors. They've been hiding her in those awful pregnancy tops most of the season, and I bet she's been losing weight, so they probably figured it was time to try something different, but I think they're a few weeks too soon.

On the plus side, I think they finally have her hair and makeup figured out. For weeks, her face was ridiculously overdone, and it completely clashed with her dark hair and hideous tattoo. Now they've toned it down, chosen a top with a pattern that blends with the tat, and may have even lightened her hair just a touch (or it could just be a change in the stage lighting). It looks much better. But I stand by my criticism of those pants.

As for the song, she lost the melody early on and oversang it to the point of screaming in multiple places. Simon's remark about her being angry seemed spot on too. "The Show Must Go On" can be lyrically interpreted as an inspirational song, but Freddie's defiant vocals in the original make it a stretch for the night's theme to begin with, and I think she took it further away from an inspirational direction and, as Simon said, lost control of the song. It was loud, so yes, I had to pay attention to it, but I thought she really Carlied® it.

das
Old 04-09-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm still not sure who I think will be going home. I keep hedging between Syesha and Carly, but I'm tempted to throw Brooke into the mix, too.

Last edited by B.A.; 04-09-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-09-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 173 Posts
It's lame that tonight's episode was taped days ago.

A pre-taped telethon? C'mon.
Old 04-09-08, 02:00 PM
Wag

Based strictly on last night's performances I would say bottom 3 would be: Carly, David Cook, and Brooke.

But after taking everything in account (past performances, fan base, etc) I think the bottom 3 will actually be: Carly, Horseygirl, and Syesha.

And I pick Carly to go home.
Old 04-09-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
On the plus side...
Old 04-09-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,032 Likes on 850 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
She has the wrong body type for those high-waist pants, and the tightness of her belt gave way to some very unflattering shots. To be clear, I don't have a problem with her body type, just the wardrobe decisions that are not doing her any favors. They've been hiding her in those awful pregnancy tops most of the season, and I bet she's been losing weight, so they probably figured it was time to try something different, but I think they're a few weeks too soon.
Maybe they heard her rehearsals for this week and figured they couldn't wait a few weeks
Old 04-09-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho

Yeah, I think I will just read a book tonight.
Old 04-09-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho

And how will the final 8 be answering the phones as Ryan mentioned last night?
Old 04-09-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a semi-off-topic question (kind of a debate with some co-workers):

What past Idol contestant does Michael Johns remind you most of?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-08, 07:18 PM

Received 809 Likes on 525 Posts
The AI/SYTYCD opening was pretty cool!
Old 04-09-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another boring week. Syeshia (sp?) sounded pretty good though.

Brooke sort of belongs in the 70's. She has the whole hippy, happy, vibe. Her song selections confirm it.

Archuletta once again is overrated. Castro still makes me sick with a horrible cover of a cover of SOTR. Can't believe the judges sucked that up.
Old 04-09-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The AI/SYTYCD opening was pretty cool!
Amazing! Made me realize how much I miss it when that show isnt on! Did anyone notice if Jessi was dancing?
Old 04-09-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
David Cook is completely overrated. The guy sounds like the same cover band/ bar band, bullshit singer you can hear playing at your local nightclub every weekend. Thank god he cut off the San Francisco swoop though. That haircut looks ridiculous enough on the intended 14-16 year old crowd. It even looks more awful on a balding, grown male.
Old 04-09-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bow down to anyone actually able to sit through all 2 1/2 hours of this freaking show. I love Idol, but I only lasted about 15 minutes.
Old 04-09-08, 09:05 PM

Received 809 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I bow down to anyone actually able to sit through all 2 1/2 hours of this freaking show. I love Idol, but I only lasted about 15 minutes.
Bow to me!
Old 04-09-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

West Coasters: Pad your DVR 15 min.

Wow... there are going to be alot of ticked off people. (at least Directv people)
If I were Mariah, I would be ticked.
There was no excuse for this... they knew 3 days ago this was going to go over the 2½ hours.
Old 04-09-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Yeah I agree... DVR is a wonderful thing. I maybe watched 5 mins. Ok really just watched Heart perform and Fergie in that outfit that Ann Wilson used to be able to fit in back in the 70's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.