The show that won't die - possible Jericho return

Old 04-08-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show that won't die - possible Jericho return

http://www.tvpredictions.com/jericho040708.htm

News
Could Comcast Save Jericho?
The cable operator could be considering a Friday Night Lights-type deal.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (April 7, 2008) -- Jericho fans, there's a new place to send your nuts.

The New York Times reports that CBS and Comcast are discussing ways to keep the cult drama alive.

While details are skimpy, the newspaper reports that the deal could be modeled after a recent agreement between DIRECTV and NBC to allow the satcaster to air next season's Friday Night Lights' episodes before they air on the network.

In return for the exclusive debut -- which will be in high-def -- DIRECTV has agreed to pay part of FNL's 13-episode production costs.

Likewise, Comcast could agree to pay for part of Jericho's production expenses and then offer episodes in High-Definition before they air on CBS.

Jericho, which focuses on a small Kansas town after a nuclear attack, has struggled in the ratings and was recently cancelled by CBS.

But the show has achieved a loyal following on the Internet and thousands of fans have sent nuts to CBS headquarters to lobby for the show's return. The nuts are a reference to an episode in which a lead character quotes a World War II general who refused to surrender, yelling the word, "Nuts!"
Old 04-08-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched 2/3 of the first season starting with the first episode and they just kinda lost me. It seemed like it promised to be much much cooler than it actually was. I never revisited, but I can't figure out why this show has so many fans.

Why can't we get this sort of loyalty for shows like Sons and Daughters or Arrested Development?
Old 04-08-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be good news for Comcast customers, not so much for Cox customers (like me).
Old 04-08-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trigger
I never revisited, but I can't figure out why this show has so many fans.
Because it got a lot better when you stopped watching.
Old 04-08-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Because it got a lot better when you stopped watching.
I have to, respectfully, disagree. I too watched roughly the first half to two-thirds of the first season, and, after being subjected to poor writing, acting, and overall plot, dropped it.

However, upon seeing that it was coming back, and after reading how the first season ended/second season was planned, I decided to come back aboard, in case I had been a bit hasty in my evacuation.

And, no. Same poor writing. Same poor acting. And the same weak, inane plots that felt cheap and without emotion.

I have to agree; the show is a fantastic concept that, unfortunately, was not executed as it should have been.

(Indeed, why not this kind of love for "Arrested Development, Firefly, The Invisible Man," etc...)
Old 04-08-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
This would be good news for Comcast customers, not so much for Cox customers (like me).
Why not? It seems the idea would be episodes that debut on Comcast and then get aired on CBS. You'd still get your shot at it.
Old 04-08-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Why not? It seems the idea would be episodes that debut on Comcast and then get aired on CBS. You'd still get your shot at it.
Yeah. Perhaps you didn't understand how the arrangement is set up with Friday Night Lights. Essentially DirecTV will air it in the fall on its proprietary channel then later (probably in January of '09), NBC will air the same episodes on network television.
Old 04-08-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
You know, this and the FNL deal could change the way we all watch TV.

I also like the idea of broadcast networks showing cable shows. For instance, you know Dexter's ratings are going up...and I don't have USA in hi-def (damn you Cablevision), so to see Psych in hi-def will be great.

But the main reason networks are panicking to a degree is because the ratings system is not working. Seriously, show of hands, how many people Tivo it or watch online? I am sure that number is as high or slightly below the actual number of people watching live.
Old 04-08-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

COX offers me internet access, which with I can use BT, so no problems here.
Old 04-08-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Interesting concept, but it's way too early. I would love to see a season 3 and hopefully this works out for both parties.
Old 04-08-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not going to happen. Its dead Jim, dead!
Old 04-08-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish Firefly/Arrested Development got this kind of support. But cool for Jericho getting it.
Old 04-08-08, 01:42 PM

At some point, I would imagine the cast and crew will tire of hanging by a thread and will all move on to new projects.
Old 04-08-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think any of those actors are in such great demand that they would turn down a tv gig.
Old 04-08-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblegt
I have to agree; the show is a fantastic concept that, unfortunately, was not executed as it should have been.
I think they came up with the image of the mushroom cloud in the horizon and tried to build a show around it. They had no idea what direction to go in after that.
Old 04-08-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
COX offers me internet access, which with I can use BT, so no problems here.
Yeah, with as big as BT is, I don't know how NBC will make out on the deal. The most loyal fans will certainly be able to find copies on the web one way or another.
Old 04-08-08, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trigger
I watched 2/3 of the first season starting with the first episode and they just kinda lost me. It seemed like it promised to be much much cooler than it actually was. I never revisited, but I can't figure out why this show has so many fans.

Why can't we get this sort of loyalty for shows like Sons and Daughters or Arrested Development?
I just did the exact same thing. Blind bought the show recently and watched the first 2/3 of the show and I could not continue with it. The tone of this show is WAYYYYYY too light and the characters act like they are in a soap opera instead of a possible nuclear war!
The pilot was pretty good and i like the cute deaf chick but i have to sadly continue my theory that every show that has ever aired on CBS sucks or at least isnt to my liking. I have never seen a good show from CBS.
Old 04-08-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it just me or is this thread bringing out more of the haters than actual fans of the show?
Old 04-08-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the show and would welcome a return, but I have to admit it's not near the top of my list of shows I wish Comcast would have attempted to bail out. I think that may be where the negativity comes from.
Old 04-09-08, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I think they came up with the image of the mushroom cloud in the horizon and tried to build a show around it. They had no idea what direction to go in after that.
I would say they wanted a modern era Bonanza. Everything points to a western, even the battles had that "meet them at the pass" feeling. Problem is the audience didn't want Bonanza. Those type of shows are long gone.
Old 04-09-08, 10:03 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Think RED DAWN if you want a clue to Jericho's appeal. I haven't checked but I suspect they probably hit the same demographics.
Old 04-09-08, 10:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Jericho is the equilent to:

Old 04-09-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's worth 2 dollars?
Old 04-09-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think there will be a demand for some of the actors from this show. Skeet Ulrich will probably get some B movie/DTV feature offers. He mentioned in some TV Guide interview that he is currently working on a movie right now. I think any casting director would be stupid not to consider Lennie James for a future pilot or movie. The rest of the cast I can see making some guest appearances on other shows.

I guess I have to agree with you Jimmy that Jericho is a good show, but probably doesn't deserve this attention from Comcast considering how poor the ratings were and the hundreds of other better quality shows that deserved a renewal instead of cancellation.
Old 04-09-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, Jesus there are some bitter people here. I agree that I wish Comcast would have done this with any number of shows (Angel, Arrested Development, Firefly), but that's not going to stop me from hoping that THIS deal goes through. The show is fun, Hawkins is a Jack-Bauer-esque badass, and it's good escapism.

-Doc

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.