Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gough & Millar Leaving Smallville

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
For some reason, I think Tom Welling was in favor of the "no tights, no flights" rule, so I don't know if new bosses would get him to do it or not.
If i were signing up for my very first tv series where I would be the lead, I'd be in favor of anything the producers said. It's been 7 years though, and I think it's time to fly. And like I said, they've proven before that they can pull it off great without looking hokey. S4 opener "Arrival" I believe was the episode.
Old 04-03-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
I consider Gough & Millar nothing but hacks. The only reason this show is still on the air is that the casting department was absolutely perfect in casting Clark, Lana, Lex, and Chloe. I hope the new showrunners get this right. Smallville could easily transition into a new successful series, Metropolis(my idea but the CW is free to steal it), if the CW plays its cards right.
Old 04-03-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,073 Posts
Originally Posted by starseed1981
But personally, I've always thought that the moment Clark dons the cape the show should end.
In my opinion, the perfect ending of the series finale would be for the final shot to have Clark appear as Superman in full-on suit and cape and fly off screen, cut to black, roll credits...

Of course, the sad thing is I've stuck with the ever declining series just for that final 5 seconds that may never come...
Old 04-03-08, 09:03 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it will be GOOD for the show

I have always thought the show has held back, i think it's lucky not to have been cancelled. We need one season of balls to the wall raising hell ! Maybe start with Lex raping and murdering Lana so that starts the proper war between Lex and Clarke. Then they need to get as many DC comic characters to appear on the show that they can get the rights too. Heck throw in some Marvel characters too for good measure.

That would be cool
Old 04-03-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I do have an issue with the way the series has gone. I don't mind that they've introduced Lex and Lois (as well as others) early into Clark's life so to speak. However, I'm left with some major obsticles between where we are and traditional (and maybe that's where we'll never get with this version) Superman:

1) Glasses. I really had expected to see these since day 1, or at least when they did that glasses episode back in the early seasons. How does somebody at this point not tell the difference between Clar and Superman (assuming that slouching, high pitch voice and glasses works.... ).

2) Chloe. She's like the real Lois. The sad part is, when I thought she was dead at the end of season 4 I was thrilled.

3) Lex. I think if you take their relationship as is, and where is has been, coupled with item 1, how do you possibly get to normal? The only thing I can think of is a big final head bump, which of course will be a copout.
Old 04-03-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped watching the show as it airs years ago and now only watch the episodes as the season sets are released. I haven't seen any recent stuff but I can only imagine how things are going if fans and creators alike are parting ways with the show. There are few shows out there where I simply hate an entire season, Buffy and Angel are the only others that come to mind, but Smallville consistently annoyed me with their ideas and plots. I hope the show can make a strong comeback and be something fans look forward to each week.
Old 04-03-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Now I have something in common with them. I left Smallville around S3.
And we appreciate you letting us know that.

I think if they do start to send Clark on his way towards his Destiny, this could be good. I can understand the No tights thing but the No Flight is that irritates me. Everyone from Krypton can fly but him and even Evil Clark can??

I definitely think Smallville needs to move in a new Direction next year especially if Lex and Lana are gone.
Old 04-04-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I can understand their stance on "no flight, no tights" to an extent. When they started the show who knew it would last 7-8 years? As long as he was in high school I could take their side. Now that he's done a brief college stint, and on his own though, I definitely think that old rule has run it's course. I think they should have him fly. Still no tights, but at least flying around. Save the suit for the final episode of the series.

Originally Posted by Superman07
3) Lex. I think if you take their relationship as is, and where is has been, coupled with item 1, how do you possibly get to normal? The only thing I can think of is a big final head bump, which of course will be a copout.
Yep. A head bump would be a cop-out, but it's not like they haven't done it before. That is assuming they want to push the show into that "normal" Superman mythos. It may be better to just accept it for what it has always been, just a new interpretation on the character. We're never going to get to that part of Clark's life on the show anyway.

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I haven't seen any recent stuff but I can only imagine how things are going if fans and creators alike are parting ways with the show.
It's really not like that. After season four, five was the pinnacle. Six was almost as strong and the current season is good, but bumpy like the first couple seasons. Fans are still reeling from the Stride Gum episode commercial.
Old 04-04-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I think it will be GOOD for the show

I have always thought the show has held back, i think it's lucky not to have been cancelled. We need one season of balls to the wall raising hell ! Maybe start with Lex raping and murdering Lana so that starts the proper war between Lex and Clarke. Then they need to get as many DC comic characters to appear on the show that they can get the rights too. Heck throw in some Marvel characters too for good measure.

That would be cool

Awesome!
Old 04-04-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by riley_dude
And we appreciate you letting us know that.

I think if they do start to send Clark on his way towards his Destiny, this could be good. I can understand the No tights thing but the No Flight is that irritates me. Everyone from Krypton can fly but him and even Evil Clark can?

I definitely think Smallville needs to move in a new Direction next year especially if Lex and Lana are gone.
riley_dude, it's not even that. It's that Clark is such a bitch about it. In the ep last week he was all crying to Kara about learning to fly and ready to give up. Kara needed to pull a Vito Corleone by smacking him and asking if he was a man and telling him to stop crying!

It's like Ollie said about Clark just wanting to stay on the farm in domestic bliss.
Old 04-04-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I consider Gough & Millar nothing but hacks. The only reason this show is still on the air is that the casting department was absolutely perfect in casting Clark, Lana, Lex, and Chloe. I hope the new showrunners get this right. Smallville could easily transition into a new successful series, Metropolis(my idea but the CW is free to steal it), if the CW plays its cards right.
Dude, you're not the first one with the Metropolis idea. I think there was a whole thread on it here a few seasons back.

I don't consider Gough and Millar "hacks" (they're good writers), but I do agree the show needs to go in a different direction. The past few seasons have been painful to watch.
Old 04-04-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
riley_dude, it's not even that. It's that Clark is such a bitch about it. In the ep last week he was all crying to Kara about learning to fly and ready to give up. Kara needed to pull a Vito Corleone by smacking him and asking if he was a man and telling him to stop crying!

It's like Ollie said about Clark just wanting to stay on the farm in domestic bliss.
Exactly...whats the worst that was going to happen to him? He doesnt fly and falls out of the barn? How will Clark ever survive that? Seriously...hes almost invincible, yet so pathetic. And in one of those MANY times Ollie called Clark out, Clark just looks at him...I know he will barely feel it, but someone needs to punch his lights out...just for being such a dumb wussy punk.
Old 04-04-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I gotta say, even as annoying as Lana is, I'd probably stay on the farm too.
Old 04-04-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

WOO HOO! I can't stand this show anymore, but I'm going down with the ship.
Old 04-04-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone has asked this before, but I will bring it up again....Does Clark go to school anymore or does he just hang around the farm all day?
Old 04-04-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
None of them go to school anymore.

Clark, Lana and Chloe got through freshman year and never went back.
Old 04-04-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

should be interesting to see what happens next year and rest of this season's episode for that matter.
Old 04-05-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
1) Glasses. I really had expected to see these since day 1, or at least when they did that glasses episode back in the early seasons. How does somebody at this point not tell the difference between Clar and Superman (assuming that slouching, high pitch voice and glasses works.... ).

2) Chloe. She's like the real Lois. The sad part is, when I thought she was dead at the end of season 4 I was thrilled.

At this point there is no way the Smallville continuity can be reconciled with the traditional Superman mythos. I think if they had known the show was going to last so long they would have reformulated Chloe as "Lois". I'm not sure introducing Lois Lane proper was a very good idea. Her and Clark have absolutely no on-screen chemistry together.
Old 04-05-08, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
If any of you think this is bad or worried show will get worse, then clearly you haven't been watching it lately.

Yeah great job guys glad they moved on. Now maybe clark won't be such a pussy.
Old 04-05-08, 11:20 AM

Wrap up Smallville and bring on the Justice League. They could vary episodes between the characters and occasionally have them all together. JMO
Old 04-05-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree. More Justice League. I am not saying in every episode but up the Ante a bit. Have them fighting a few really cool bad guys.

Last edited by riley_dude; 04-05-08 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-05-08, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I agree. More Justice League. I am not saying in every episode but up the Anti a bit. Have them fighting a few really cool bad guys.
I believe the word you are looking for is Ante.
Old 04-09-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting yet critical article about the show:
http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_14397.html
Old 04-09-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
According to the new TV Guide, while Kristen Kreuk is only expected to be back for the first third of next season (to wrap up her storyline), the producers are currently negotiating with Michael Rosenbaum to bring him back for somewhere between 11 and 18 episodes.
Old 04-09-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Rosenbaum needs to comeback... i am not sure what else would keep me watching ... so far they have me at "less Lana"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.