Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My Name Is Earl "I Won't Die with a Little Help from My Friends" (1 hour) 04-03-08

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Name Is Earl "I Won't Die with a Little Help from My Friends" (1 hour) 04-03-08

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Earl is still lying in the middle of the road next to Billie, both of whom are unconscious after being hit by a car. The accident puts Earl in a coma and takes him to an alternate world in the form of a sitcom. Meanwhile, Randy, Darnell, Joy and Catalina begin doing whatever they can to ensure Earl lives. After several attempts, Earl continues to be stuck in a fevered state and is visited by Paris Hilton in his dream. The group realizes they are all out ideas and turn to their last option, a little boy that can cure everything with his finger. The boy refuses to help because he thinks Joy has the devil on her side, so Darnell and Randy try to prove to him that she does not. Has Earl's bad karma gotten the best of him? Will he find the strength to survive his coma?
Old 04-03-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really not looking forward to seeing the guest star on this show. They're the anti-King Midas.
Old 04-03-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

[¡]
Old 04-03-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
I'm really not looking forward to seeing the guest star on this show.
You and me both, man. Coma-induced hallucination or not..
Old 04-03-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought it was a pretty good episode with some pretty funny moments. Didn't even mind Paris showing up.
Old 04-03-08, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
...So he woke up then?
Old 04-04-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Didn't even mind Paris showing up.
What an amazing talent she is. I mean, being able to repeat the same two words the exact same way four times? Incredible.
Old 04-04-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't like it, but I thought that they used Paris well - basically as a dumb airhead.
Old 04-04-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe in the Father, the Son, and the Friendly Ghost!

A Soprano-esque dream sequence. Not that bad, but I liked the parts with Randy and the others better.
Old 04-04-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I kept falling asleep.
Old 04-04-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Alyssa Milano looked pretty damn hot in the 1950s get-up. Granted, she'd look hot wearing a trash bag.
Old 04-04-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't like it... My father was over and watching it with me and about 45 mins he asks me "is the show always like this?" and I thought he meant always an hour opposed to 30 mins. he said "no, this is terrible"
Old 04-04-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Alyssa Milano looked pretty damn hot in the 1950s get-up. Granted, she'd look hot wearing a trash bag.
There was not enough of her in the ep.
Old 04-04-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
Didn't like it... My father was over and watching it with me and about 45 mins he asks me "is the show always like this?" and I thought he meant always an hour opposed to 30 mins. he said "no, this is terrible"
The answer is no, Earl is not always in a coma and dreaming of a sitcom life

I enjoyed it. "its ok baby, you know I dont consider above the waist cheating" Sure was a lot of boob grabs!
Old 04-04-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Earl definitely needs to stick to 30 minutes. This was too drawn out. The 60's sitcom wasn't funny at all. Funny on paper but not executed all that well, IMO. I did really enjoy the scene with Randy at Earl's side talking about Earl getting into heaven because of his list.
Old 04-04-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Earl definitely needs to stick to 30 minutes. This was too drawn out. The 60's sitcom wasn't funny at all. Funny on paper but not executed all that well, IMO. I did really enjoy the scene with Randy at Earl's side talking about Earl getting into heaven because of his list.
All you have to do is stop watching at the 30 minute mark and then start up again a few days later and it will be just like normal. There was a normal break in there just like every show. I never understand this argument like in The Office threads. It's like watching Star Wars and Empire back to back and saying it was drawn out.
Old 04-04-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I too thought it went on too long. But it was funny.

The sitcom thing was funny up to the theme song - then it was just blah..

I didn't like the Paris thing - It was like someone promised they would give her a role on the show and she was just crowbar'd in there. In addition "that's hot" is not a hip catch phrase and kind of wore out its welcome after "The Simple Life"

I did like the introduction / recap and found it kind of funny
Old 04-04-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Was looking forward to it but thought it was a terrible episode.
Old 04-04-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I too loved the recap from J.Z.

Originally Posted by BDLOU
All you have to do is stop watching at the 30 minute mark and then start up again a few days later and it will be just like normal. There was a normal break in there just like every show. I never understand this argument like in The Office threads. It's like watching Star Wars and Empire back to back and saying it was drawn out.
...and I'll never understand "quit watching halfway through." Through the magic of editing this could have been a classic, but instead you have drawn out bits that overstay their welcome, or guest stars repeating non-funny lines to pad the time and as a result you get mostly "terrible episode" responses from the fans.

BTW, your analogy fails. Star Wars is a self contained movie. The way a Star Wars analogy would work is like quitting SW right before they rescue Leia, then come back a few days later and watch Empire, when everyone is fine.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-04-08 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-04-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Well, at least we have new episodes again, to bitch about.
Old 04-04-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stingermck
Well, at least we have new episodes again, to bitch about.
And what would this forum be without the healthy exchange of opinions, no matter how bitchy and incorrect they may be?
Old 04-04-08, 12:34 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
didn;t really feel this episode
Old 04-04-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I too loved the recap from J.Z.

...and I'll never understand "quit watching halfway through." Through the magic of editing this could have been a classic, but instead you have drawn out bits that overstay their welcome, or guest stars repeating non-funny lines to pad the time and as a result you get mostly "terrible episode" responses from the fans.

BTW, your analogy fails. Star Wars is a self contained movie. The way a Star Wars analogy would work is like quitting SW right before they rescue Leia, then come back a few days later and watch Empire, when everyone is fine.
These were two self contained episodes. You could see the break right around the 30 minute mark. They even somewhat explained what happened in the first part. In the future if these are ever reran then they will be run separately.
Old 04-04-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To those who think this is about viewer fatigue:

It's not, at least with me. I understand there is an episode break in the middle for syndication purposes. It's still 60 minutes worth of episode that is all too often based on 30 minutes worth of plot. I didn't think the MNIE was so bad, but most of the 60 minute Office episodes were.

I watch plenty of sitcoms that are run back to back on cable. They don't fatigue me in the least. That's because I'm watching 60 minutes of show with 60 minutes worth of plot. It's the stretching that makes it bad, not the back to back nature of the way it is aired. I like watching shows back to back. I've been known to kill a DVD season set in a day or two.

Back to the episode:

I don't think the 60s sitcom was supposed to be funny. I think that was the biggest problem with the episode, though -- not enough was designed to be funny. This is first and foremost a sitcom, after all.
Old 04-04-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To me, watching this episode made me think the writers were seeking revenge for being forced to strike. Were they trying to make the worst episode ever? It was horrifyingly bad, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.