Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My Name Is Earl "I Won't Die with a Little Help from My Friends" (1 hour) 04-03-08

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Name Is Earl "I Won't Die with a Little Help from My Friends" (1 hour) 04-03-08

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I watch plenty of sitcoms that are run back to back on cable. They don't fatigue me in the least. That's because I'm watching 60 minutes of show with 60 minutes worth of plot. It's the stretching that makes it bad, not the back to back nature of the way it is aired. I like watching shows back to back. I've been known to kill a DVD season set in a day or two.
Thank you.
Old 04-05-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Still, like even the poorest Earls, there were some solid chestnuts, most of which were from the doctor.

"He has a fantastic mustache, and praise be to Ganesh it was unharmed. Other than that, all we can do is pray. I'll bet you wish you had more than one god now, eh?"

"I'm Indian. We're the new Jews."
"I thought that was Koreans?"
"Ha! They wish."
Old 04-07-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found this episode almost unbearable. I started heavy use of the FF button immediately after Joy and Earl went out the back of the ambulance on the stretcher.
Old 04-07-08, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BDLOU
These were two self contained episodes. You could see the break right around the 30 minute mark. They even somewhat explained what happened in the first part. In the future if these are ever reran then they will be run separately.
Yeah. All the one hour episodes are scripted to play as two half hour episodes for reruns in a 30 minute timeslot and syndication.

The first episode would end with a kind of cliffhanger after they get Earl to the hospital and the doctor tells them he might die. It's a pretty clear episode break.

More likely, something like this would be dragged out for two weeks ordinarily, but Earl probably got out of the gate quicker than the other shows.
Old 04-10-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually think this show is getting better. Pretty funny episode. Agree that it should stay at 30 minutes an episode though.

Question, what song is playing during the montage of Earl's friends trying to coax him out of the coma? Kind of a 70's classic rock sounding song. I've heard it in numerous tv shows and movies, but can't figure out what it is.
Old 04-10-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kaiser Soze

Question, what song is playing during the montage of Earl's friends trying to coax him out of the coma? Kind of a 70's classic rock sounding song. I've heard it in numerous tv shows and movies, but can't figure out what it is.
Blue Oyster Cult - " I'm Burning For You "
Old 04-10-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Blue Oyster Cult - " I'm Burning For You "
Thanks.
Old 04-10-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not a problem.
Old 04-12-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any word on how long they're going to go with the coma angle? The way they've set it up it seems like it could be for quite a few more episodes.
Old 04-12-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Did the fans slip into a coma? Where's the thread for this week's episode? I rather enjoyed it, but perhaps I was the only one.
Old 04-12-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still enjoy the show, but I really wish they would ease back on the new angle.
Old 04-12-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not ready to say that this show has jumped the shark but (IMO) season 3 hasn't been as nearly as good as season one and two. It is still worth watching but I just don't care about the story anymore and it just isn't as funny as it used to be.

Earl, Joy and Crabman are still great characters but Randy is just annoying and overly retarded and he seems to be getting more and more screen time.

With that said, I still enjoyed last weeks episode but it only had one or two good moments. It is still worth watching every week but if I didn't have DVR, I would have written this show off already.
Old 04-12-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm not ready to say that this show has jumped the shark but (IMO) season 3 hasn't been as nearly as good as season one and two.
I agree completely. The first half of the season was Earl stuck in prison, and now this coma schtick. I'm ready for the show to get back to the way it started.
Old 04-13-08, 12:31 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much longer are they going to be sticking with this "sitcom while in coma" thing? I was getting tired of it by the end of the first episode. It's not really a idea that can sustain itself for multiple episodes. Once you get over the initial "Hey look! The cast is in a classic sitcom format!" idea, there's isn't really anything all that funny about it. I've enjoyed a good amount of the non-sitcom stuff, but those segments bring the show to a dead halt for me.