Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jericho---"Patriots and Tyrants"---Series Finale---3/25/08

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 638 Likes on 512 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis

The problem, as I saw it, with most of those plotlines is that they had little to do w/ the fallout of a nuclear war. They were just bad soap opera plotlines, and the show didn't really start working for me until they started focusing the attention of the show beyond that.

Yep - they went out of their way to make it an 8 pm family style show (which is beyond ridiculous if you are going to do a post-apocolyptic show) and try to make you care about the characters and they fell woefully short on that front.
Old 03-26-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The finale was about six hours of story crammed into an hour of television.
Old 03-26-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, but what is the fascination George Mason has with radialogical devices?
Old 03-26-08, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed it, like other said, gave some resolution but also a hint at where the series could go should it get picked up by another network. To all who thought this ending provided no resolution, check out Twin Peaks, talk about ending on a cliffhanger!

I hope by some chance Sci Fi picks it up but if not, Jericho it's been a great ride. With the syndication of both seasons I'm sure many new fans will check it out in the future.
Old 03-27-08, 03:59 AM
Banned

I am confused about something.

Spoiler:
I thought that Valente was behind the nuclear attack. Didn't they say that Valente, Mason, and their group was working to overthrow the US goverment? I thought they used the attack to splinter the US so that J&R could take over and establish their own government, and that Valente was after Hawkins and his bomb because that was the only evidence of Valente's involvement.

Then this last episode says that "John Smith" was behind the attack. He says his plan was to use the attack to destroy all the J&R headquarters in order to get the corruption out of the government.

I don't get this. First, Valente was the one responsible and his plan was to help J&R overthrow the US, and now "John Smith" is the one responsible and his plan was to destroy J&R?

Last edited by taffer; 03-27-08 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that it doesn't totally make sense, but I favor the theory that J&R was behind the attacks, not John Smith. I prefer to think that John Smith was uninvolved until the bombs went off but quickly figured out how to track the remaining bomb and then decided to use it to blow up Cheyenne.
Old 03-27-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
As has been pointed out, there was a bit of plot conflict with who the bombers really were (Valente/JR or John Smith), but I'm satisfied with the series going out with
Spoiler:
the promise of another civil war

That's bleak enough to satisfy my dark side, and I don't necessarily feel the need to see any of these characters ever again (though if it gets picked up somewhere down the line again I'd watch).

I enjoyed the ride the show delivered - flaws included - and I'm content with the closed-but-still-could-be-reopened ending.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 03-27-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-27-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,048 Likes on 751 Posts
I checked out this episode since I read it was the last. I stopped watching the show about 5-6 episodes in. After seeing it, I actually wish I had stuck with it. I like the direction they took the plot. Last I remember, Hawkins' character was considered a bad guy since no one really knew what he was doing in the basement of his house. What ended up happening to his family? I didn't see them anywhere during this episode.
Old 03-27-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I checked out this episode since I read it was the last. I stopped watching the show about 5-6 episodes in. After seeing it, I actually wish I had stuck with it. I like the direction they took the plot. Last I remember, Hawkins' character was considered a bad guy since no one really knew what he was doing in the basement of his house. What ended up happening to his family? I didn't see them anywhere during this episode.
Since you missed roughly 23 episodes, I'm surprised that any of it made any sense to you. Hawkins wife appeared in pretty much every episode this season. The kids only appeared in 1 episode.
Old 03-27-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I agree that it doesn't totally make sense, but I favor the theory that J&R was behind the attacks, not John Smith. I prefer to think that John Smith was uninvolved until the bombs went off but quickly figured out how to track the remaining bomb and then decided to use it to blow up Cheyenne.
My theory is that J&R were playing Smith. That's how they recovered so quickly. But J&R didn't count on that last bomb surviving.
Old 03-27-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's true. Smith could have been managing the bomb 24 cities project for J&R and then afterward got upset at J&R because they didn't give him the position he wanted within the new government or something.
Old 03-30-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Just finished watching this last night. Now I am curious to see what the other alternate ending is that left it open for a season 3. Couldn't be that much different.

I was entertained by the series finale, but I am not truly satisfied with the ending. They indeed the leave it open for more, but to me a Civil War in the United States sounds very expensive to produce. I think they needed 13 episodes to really close out the series and satisfy everyone. However, they did the best they could in the small timeframe and limited money they had to produce these 7 episodes.
Old 03-30-08, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seems scifi has pulled season 1 from its schedule
Old 03-30-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
It's still on Universal HD, and looks fabulous...
Old 03-30-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just finished watching this last night. Now I am curious to see what the other alternate ending is that left it open for a season 3. Couldn't be that much different.

I was entertained by the series finale, but I am not truly satisfied with the ending. They indeed the leave it open for more, but to me a Civil War in the United States sounds very expensive to produce. I think they needed 13 episodes to really close out the series and satisfy everyone. However, they did the best they could in the small timeframe and limited money they had to produce these 7 episodes.
The executive producer, Carol Barbee (who's shopping the show to other networks) has stated that in the alternate ending, Hawkins is captured by the Cheyenne government. Probably the major differences are that Jake leaves him behind when flying to Texas.
Old 04-02-08, 11:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
just watched the finale. Rushed yes,but somewhat satisfying. Glad Hawkins didn't die.