Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy Reunion-Paley Festival

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy Reunion-Paley Festival

Old 10-17-08, 08:34 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
DarkestPhoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,246
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the show alot...Doublemeat Palace being the worst fucking episode of all time, and ironically, the first one I ever saw.

I didn't mind the darkness...especially the whole Spike storyline. I remember thinking post-rape attempt that the show was going downhill and could never be saved, then loving his soul quest resolution, which I originally thought was a bid for power of course to fuck her up.

I never read anything about the show beforehand, so I had a month or two of viewing which rocked.

Then, I started listening to Joss and hated the show a little...fuck all this bullshit women empowerment talk. Who the fuck cares? I didn't get that from the show, I just got an entertaining ride. No one reads Elektra because they are for women's empowerment, they do it to watch a badass bitch fuck shit up.

Same with male Buffy viewers.

When Whedon does interviews, he's sooooo heavy-handed with this shit. True empowerment would be equality - and equality would be to not fucking sell it over and over. A true moral doesn't need to be explained, and a true artist would say, "Get your own moral from the story." It should be obvious.

I don't know. Still like the show for entertainment and great stories, just wish I never would have watched the interviews.

Also hated the 'man who watches' bullshit he tagged onto Xander at the end. He started out as the 'man without powers'.

Last edited by DarkestPhoenix; 10-17-08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-18-08, 01:55 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 32,540
Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
For all of Whedon's claims of feminism and female empowerment, it's kind of curious how the female characters tend to get killed off right and left, while the make characters get to live.

Let's take a look at the people who appeared in the main credtis:

Buffy - alive
Xander - alive
Willow - alive
Giles - alive
Cordelia - DEAD
Oz - alive
Angel - alive
Riley - alive
Spike - alive
Anya - DEAD
Dawn - alive
Tara - DEAD
Doyle - DEAD
Wesley - DEAD
Gunn - alive
Fred - DEAD (I guess, they made quite a point of Illyria not being Fred)
Harmony - alive
Connor - alive
Lorne - alive

Wesley is really the only long-running male character that was killed off. As opposed to Fred, Cordelia, Tara, and Anya.

And there's also a habit (seen on Buffy mostly) of male characters who get to leave the show alive (Oz, Riley) while the females get killed off. (Tara, Anya, Cordelia.)

I could also get into issues of classicism, where you have wealthy and middle class characters who have more integrity than poor or working-class characters. It's generally the characters from "poor" backgrounds -- Lindsey, Faith, Gunn -- who tend to willingly give into temptation and embrace evil while the middle and upper-class characters are the ones with the integrity and strict moral codes.
Old 10-18-08, 10:57 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 892
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Wesley is really the only long-running male character that was killed off. As opposed to Fred, Cordelia, Tara, and Anya.
But when you get down to specifics, the "Tara dies/Willow turns evil" plotline was originally supposed to be "Oz dies/Willow turns evil" but Seth Green left the show early.

Joss wanted to kill off a regular on the finale, and Emma Caulfield had said she was tired of the character and had no interest in reprising it on "Angel."

I don't know if he originally planned on killing Cordelia, but he had to change the whole season's storyline when she showed up and said "I'm preggers!"
Old 10-18-08, 11:50 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 675
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
For all of Whedon's claims of feminism and female empowerment, it's kind of curious how the female characters tend to get killed off right and left, while the make characters get to live.

Let's take a look at the people who appeared in the main credtis:

Buffy - alive
Xander - alive
Willow - alive
Giles - alive
Cordelia - DEAD
Oz - alive
Angel - alive
Riley - alive
Spike - alive
Anya - DEAD
Dawn - alive
Tara - DEAD
Doyle - DEAD
Wesley - DEAD
Gunn - alive
Fred - DEAD (I guess, they made quite a point of Illyria not being Fred)
Harmony - alive
Connor - alive
Lorne - alive

Wesley is really the only long-running male character that was killed off. As opposed to Fred, Cordelia, Tara, and Anya.

And there's also a habit (seen on Buffy mostly) of male characters who get to leave the show alive (Oz, Riley) while the females get killed off. (Tara, Anya, Cordelia.)

I could also get into issues of classicism, where you have wealthy and middle class characters who have more integrity than poor or working-class characters. It's generally the characters from "poor" backgrounds -- Lindsey, Faith, Gunn -- who tend to willingly give into temptation and embrace evil while the middle and upper-class characters are the ones with the integrity and strict moral codes.
Angel, Spike, Gunn, and Lorne all died at the end of Angel.
Old 10-18-08, 11:54 AM
  #55  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 22,442
Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Stu 17 View Post
Angel, Spike, Gunn, and Lorne all died at the end of Angel.
They weren't shown as dying at the close of season 5, and in the comics that make up season 6 -- which Joss has said are canon -- they're...well, in Hell but alive.
Old 10-18-08, 12:19 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ANGEL wasn't a show about female empowerment. That may have carried over a bit from Buffy but was never a focus. It was about adults surviving in the Big City, helping to prevent others from being swallowed up by it which was we all know, wasn't easy to do.

I actually haven't read the "After The Fall" season 6 comics, because I would have the hardest time reading them. I'm just not a comic book reader at all so it has nothing to do with the story.
Old 10-18-08, 01:32 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,137
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin View Post
ANGEL wasn't a show about female empowerment. That may have carried over a bit from Buffy but was never a focus. It was about adults surviving in the Big City, helping to prevent others from being swallowed up by it which was we all know, wasn't easy to do.

I actually haven't read the "After The Fall" season 6 comics, because I would have the hardest time reading them. I'm just not a comic book reader at all so it has nothing to do with the story.
I just have problem's were the comics were leading the story. I never thought I would prefer the ending of "ANGEL" to what the sixth season could have potentially be...
Old 10-18-08, 03:21 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 22,442
Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
I never thought I would prefer the ending of "ANGEL" to what the sixth season could have potentially be...
I've been reading 'After the Fall' in trades, and I really dug the first collection, although the flashbacks that made up the second didn't really hold my interest.

Actually, I think the message of the final moments of season 5 -- that the fight will always go on -- was pretty much note-for-note perfect. I'd hate to see Buffy end for good on the lousy note it closed on, but I don't think there would've been a better way for Angel to end.
Old 10-18-08, 08:40 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've maintained from the night it aired that "Not Fade Away" featured the absolute perfect end to the series, though many still feel it was....less than...and that's being nice about it.

Whatever.

Sucks for them.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.