Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Adams - Part 1 "Join Or Die" & Part 2 "Inderpendence"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
John Adams - Part 1 "Join Or Die" & Part 2 "Independence"

I figured we should have a weekly thread for this Miniseries. I can't wait to watch this tonight in high-def.

Part 1 - "Join Or Die" (70 min)
Spoiler:
Boston, 1770. In the aftermath of the Boston Massacre-a deadly street confrontation between American colonists and an occupying British brigade-John Adams takes an unpopular stand by agreeing to serve as defense attorney for the accused British soldiers. Counseled in his summation by his beloved wife Abigail, Adams wins the case-but surprises the British by turning down a lucrative position with the Crown. As pro-independent sentiment boils over in Massachusetts following the Coercive/Intolerable Acts, Adams is invited to join the newly created Continental Congress. After a rousing speech to his constituents, he says an emotional goodbye to his family before heading to Philadelphia--and an uncertain future. (TVPG) (AC,V)

Part 2 - "Independence" (90 minutes)
Spoiler:
Following a fruitless session of the Continental Congress, a sabbatical at Adams' Braintree farm is disrupted by news of the siege of Lexington and Concord. Adams witnesses the aftermath of the bloody battle and, later, reports back to Philadelphia. There, he jousts with delegates debating the pros and cons of independence, eschewing an olive-branch proposal from Pennsylvania's John Dickinson and throwing down the gauntlet for independence. As more violence rages in and around Boston, Adams nominates George Washington to lead the newly created Continental Army. After another brief return home, Adams returns to Philadelphia-and a proclamation from King George III that treason will be met with death. After several debates and postponements, Adams seconds a resolution for independence proposed by Virginia's Richard Henry Lee, and persuades Thomas Jefferson to draft a declaration. With the support of Benjamin Franklin, Adams wins over skeptical delegates, in particular Dickinson and South Carolina's Edward Rutledge. On July 2, 1776, a final vote confirms the Congress' near-unanimous decision (New York abstained) to form an independent nation. While Abigail tends to an outbreak of smallpox in Massachusetts, the Declaration of Independence is read to a raucous crowd in Philadelphia. Adams writes to his wife, The break is made, and now our work begins. (TVPG) (AC,V)

That's 2 h 40 min of the show tonight. Ouch. It'll take me a few days to catch up. If anyone can stand any more of this tonight, there's also a 19 min making-of special afterwards.

Last edited by Decker; 03-16-08 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love how these are looking like mini-movies with the runtimes. Are all the episodes gonna be like this? (60-90 min. on each?)
Also it appears one cannot get a project greenlit on HBO if the series doesn't have at least one scene involving someone getting tarred and feathered.
Old 03-16-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
spoilers

Since I don't have HBO I'm going to have to find an alternate way to view this!

Last edited by Lateralus; 03-16-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I mentioned this in the previous thread as a heads up.

There is a HBO/MAX freeview on DirecTV next weekend and there are repeats of these eps in that timeframe for those who wish to check it out.
Old 03-16-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Wonder if these will be ON Demand (HD). I don't feel like watching it tonight and my DVR is getting full and might not be able hold 160 min worth of HD programming.
Old 03-16-08, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog

There is a HBO/MAX freeview on DirecTV next weekend and there are repeats of these eps in that timeframe for those who wish to check it out.
Ah, thanks! I was just debating whether to add HBO again. I canceled it after Entourage and JFC ended. At least the freeview will give me a chance to try before I buy.
Old 03-16-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally Posted by Lateralus
spoilers
Yeah, I went back & forth on that one, but some people don't want to see plot summaries before the episodes air, so to be courteous, I just spoilerized the summaries anyway.

Oh, and by the way :
Spoiler:
The US wins. Then later Adams becomes the second President of the United States. Then later, he dies.

Last edited by Decker; 03-16-08 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-16-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Oh, and by the way :
Spoiler:
The US wins. Then later Adams becomes the second President of the United States. Then later, he dies.

NOOOOOOOOOES!!!!!!
Old 03-16-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tom Wilkinson is perfect.
Old 03-16-08, 08:39 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog

Thanks!
Old 03-16-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, I went back & forth on that one, but some people don't want to see plot summaries before the episodes air, so to be courteous, I just spoilerized the summaries anyway.

Oh, and by the way :
Spoiler:
Yeah that is probably best, I would hate to spoil the ending for somebody.
Old 03-16-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sven
I think Danny Huston looks just like Sam Adams, well he looks like the Sam Adams on the beer bottle anyhow!
Old 03-16-08, 09:49 PM
Banned

Pretty good show tonight. I would have liked to have seen them take a Deadwood type of approach if only so we could have seen the founding Fathers call each other Co*ksuckers but oh well. At times it was maybe a bit too routine or familiar but the performances were great and the effects were good as well. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.
Old 03-16-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
What a great start, I was starting to get choked up during the last 20 minutes. The acting by everybody is great but especially Giamatti. Loved the editing of the DOI, how Franklin making one change burned those words in our minds forever. I wish these were being shown on consecutive days so I don't have to wait a week between each episode, which I believe is 7 in total. Can't wait.
Old 03-16-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dude needs his own miniseries.
Old 03-17-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SECONDED!

Seriously, I thought this was brilliant, and the cast is absolutely perfect, particularly Wilkinson and Morse.

With the pedigree of Band of Brothers and From The Earth To The Moon, I figured I would enjoy this, but I certainly did not think I would get choked up (When Washington describes his duty to Adams at their first meeting) much less have tears openly welling up (the recitation of the Declaration at Independence Hall) or even to cheer out loud (Knox and his canons from Ticonderoga).

As someone who is absolutely sick up to his bloody ears with the bullshit his country has been spewing for the last decade, it was DAMNED nice to beam with pride for over two hours of historical drama.

And Ben Franklin's entrance may have been among the best I've ever seen on film.

-Doc
Old 03-17-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I realy liked it last night

The acting was great, the actors they picked to fit the roles of the various founding fathers was exceptional.

George Washington's introduction kind of gave me goosebumps -

It is amazing that all these people agreed to declare independence from England.

New York government was inept from day one (I live in NY state)
Old 03-17-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fortunately, we can look forward to more of the same. HBO has optioned David McCullough's 1776 for another mini-series.
Old 03-17-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Fortunately, we can look forward to more of the same. HBO has optioned David McCullough's 1776 for another mini-series.
Cool - I hope they try to have some continuity w/ respect to the cast.
Old 03-17-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight

Is Playtone doing it, do you know? I LOVED 1776, and thought from day one it would make a fantastic miniseries. The Battle of Brooklyn alone would be worth my cable bill.

Originally Posted by B.A.
Cool - I hope they try to have some continuity w/ respect to the cast.
That... would be AWESOME. I'd love to see Morse trying to hide his contempt for the lower class, undisciplined, poorer New England "Soldiers" (good christ, roles have really reversed since Reconstruction, eh?) while confering with his two trusted soldiers, a cripple and a book dealer, and contending with a Navy that threatens to wipe them out at any moment.

Man, the possibility of this being it's own connected pocket universe of American Revolution is very exciting.

And on a side note - a nice side effect of these miniseries will be the teaching tool it offers to help attention-impaired American students raised on MTV to learn about a period of history that all Americans should know and - sadly - too few do.

-Doc
Old 03-17-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
And on a side note - a nice side effect of these miniseries will be the teaching tool it offers to help attention-impaired American students raised on MTV to learn about a period of history that all Americans should know and - sadly - too few do.

-Doc
So far a pretty good job of depicting the turmoil and struggle of these "radicals" pulling away from the mother country, especially given the complexity of the issues at hand: the rights of free men vs. slavery, etc.
Old 03-17-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
So far a pretty good job of depicting the turmoil and struggle of these "radicals" pulling away from the mother country, especially given the complexity of the issues at hand: the rights of free men vs. slavery, etc.

I thought that was quite adroitly handled. It shows Franklin's political savvy and pragmatism. All three men in that room hated slavery. But they didn't have an immediate end to the problem (that wouldn't cost the Gentlemen of Virginia, Georgia, The Carolinas etc. their stature and empire - which the emancipation proclamation and Civil War rightly did), and they certainly KNEW that they would lose any hope of bringing together a union of these Southern Delegates, much less the colonies themselves, if they attempted to link Independence with Emancipation (the irony of that statement was not lost on me, nor, I suspect, Messieurs Franklin, Adams & Jefferson).

It was a bitter pill they had to swallow, and I thought the subtlety in that scene was excellent, as was the hint at Ben Franklin's disdain for the church ("Smacks of the pulpit") and his soft-touch at changing the line to "self-evident" without angering Jefferson.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 03-17-08 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-19-08, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very much enjoyed the first two episodes. My wife is studying for her citizenship exam and it's one more method to immerse in all things United States.
Old 03-19-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An excellent mini-series so far, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-19-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is anyone else getting a creepy serial killer vibe off Jefferson?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.