Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

LOST -- "Ji Yeon" -- 03.13.2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Jin wants to stay (avoiding returning to Paik, being a contract killer and, well, STERILITY), but Sun cannot because she'd lose the baby.
Well, there's that whole not wanting to die part as well.

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
All six will have there reasons for wanting to go back.

Jin still being there will be Sun's reason. IMO, he is still alive and on the Island.
I haven't gotten that vibe yet. Jack is the only one that definitely wants back. Hurley has expressed regret for leaving (not quite the same as wanting to go back). Kate appears to have no interest thus far. Same with Sayid. If Jin is alive, then Sun definitely has a reason, but that a big if at this point.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 03-14-08 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wait, this is how I interpreted this weeks episode:

Both Jin and Sun scenes were flashforwards. Jin and Sun both get off the island completing the Oceanic 6. However, something happens while back in the real world where Sun thinks Jin is dead and more than likely Jin thinks the same of Sun. Jin is married to someone else when he says "I've only been married for 2 months!"

I could be wrong but didn't anyone else think that?
That's how I took it too, though that seems to be the minority view here.
Who knows...
Old 03-14-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, Jins was definitely a flashback and hers was a flashforward,

check out the Lostpedia page... its a nice summary.

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Ji_Yeon
Old 03-14-08, 09:55 AM

The problem with Jin staying on the island:

Spoiler:
The spoilers have said he is one of the Oceanic 6. How is that possible? Are the spoilers wrong?
Old 03-14-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
That's what I'm guessing as well. EVERY person who "died" in the crash is going to have a tombstone. What better way to "talk" with that person than showing up at said tombstone?

Of course the wrinkle here is that, IIRC, Hurley said something like, "should we go see him?" I'm not sure I'd use those words if I knew the guy wasn't actually dead.
I'm just not imaging any circumstance in which Jin would leave Sun. He said this episode he would never leave her...so I can't imagine that they would split for any reason. He didn't even care if the baby was his, he forgave her anyways. He's either not "allowed" to follow her for some reason, or he's toast.

Hurley made no sense in this episode to me. Sun asked if anyone else was coming...? Coming to what? It all was very strange. Sun finally putting the ring back on (after she has her pre-pregnancy body back) was odd, too. Something is amiss but in typical lost fashion, I have no idea what it was.

And I totally thought Ethan was going to pop out of the ER room and steal the baby or something. The looks the Dr gave the nurse were strange, indeed. That whole scene had "fishy" written all over it.
Old 03-14-08, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the gravesite, It would have been cool if we got a "Carrie" moment and Jin's hand came out of the ground like he was a zombie.
Old 03-14-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
This may have been brought up before in previous threads, but I just noticed it tonight for the first time: the end logo for the show has a reflection of a city skyline in the water, not the island that should be in the reflection. Does anyone have any insight into this?
As a matter of fact, I most certainly do. But my theory doesn't have any fans so we probably shouldn't go there.
Old 03-14-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by treszoks
The problem with Jin staying on the island:

Spoiler:
The spoilers have said he is one of the Oceanic 6. How is that possible? Are the spoilers wrong?
Then why the tombstone with the crash date as the date of death?
Old 03-14-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Flave
Book she was reading:

"The Survivors of the Chancellor" by Jules Verne.

http://www.online-literature.com/ver...orschancellor/
How appropriate:

At the beginning of its voyage, the Chancellor carried eight passengers and twenty crew members. By the end, only eleven people (five passengers and six crew) remained alive.
Old 03-14-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be interesting to see Michael's back story between leaving the island and last night's episode.

I've always assumed that Ben gave Michael the boat and directions to "find rescue." I assumed that rescue meant the freighter.

But, if these people are after Ben, you'd think that they'd be sketpical about seeing Michael show up on a little boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean without considering that he's been in contact with Ben.

It makes sense that they'd make him their janitor, but I question on how they'd let him access enough sensitive information to make a good spy.

Either there's a lot more that happened (ie, Michael and Walt were "rescued" by somebody else and the freighter people don't know he was an island refugee), or Michael isn't the spy on the freighter.
Old 03-14-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I should say that it was a pretty good episode last night.
Old 03-14-08, 10:20 AM

Then why the tombstone with the crash date as the date of death?
Either the spoilers are wrong or they brought his dead body back I guess.
Old 03-14-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the most interesting reveal last night was that Ben is behind the Oceanic 815 staging. As many have mentioned, the resources required to pull this off are pretty extensive. So I wonder if Ben didn't use old "Smokey" to do all this: Smokey accumulated all the pieces and bodies of 815 from the island and then dropped them into the ocean. As for the remaining bodies, well I guess any old body'll do since it was pretty certain they would never recover them from that depth.

I'm with those who think that Jin is still on the island. Sun would not act the way she did during delivery if he was really dead. Her conversation at the grave is of a wife missing her husband -- dead or alive.

Which I thinks brings up a good question. It seems that Jack (or any of the Oceanic 6 for that matter) have no way to get back to the island. So, has the portal (or, as per my pet theory, wormhole) closed?

Last edited by Flave; 03-14-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the most interesting reveal last night was that Ben is behind the Oceanic 815 staging.
DON'T TRUST THE CAPTAIN
Old 03-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
DON'T TRUST THE CAPTAIN
Well of course Michael, who works for Ben, is going to say that isn't he?
Old 03-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is Lapidus really headed back to the Island with the chopper? Or is the chopper going somewhere else?
Old 03-14-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How appropriate:

At the beginning of its voyage, the Chancellor carried eight passengers and twenty crew members. By the end, only eleven people (five passengers and six crew) remained alive.
Also, the Chancellor was at sea for four months. So, is the total island time going to be four months? Hmmmmm....
Old 03-14-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the most interesting reveal last night was that Ben is behind the Oceanic 815 staging. As many have mentioned, the resources required to pull this off are pretty extensive. So I wonder if Ben didn't use old "Smokey" to do all this: Smokey accumulated all the pieces and bodies of 815 from the island and then dropped them into the ocean. As for the remaining bodies, well I guess any old body'll do since it was pretty certain they would never recover them from that depth.
Whoa... wait a minute. You've gone off the deep end, buddy. We've seen the footage of 815 splitting in half, and Ben witnessing it from the Others' compound. If he'd planned the whole thing, he'd have been more ready than sending his ONLY surgeon Ethan to the survivors to blend in. Now if he planted evidence AFTER to make the survivors "vanish" that is another story. Not sure how Ben could manage that post-crash considering as everyone has stated that he's been quite busy as a captive by the survivors, undergoing serious back surgery, etc.

As far as "Smokey", we have seen pieces of the wrecked plane multiple times since the crash on the island.

Are we still following the original concept that everything that happens on the island can be explained by science?

Last edited by rfduncan; 03-14-08 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well of course Michael, who works for Ben, is going to say that isn't he?
And what would Widmore say himself?

In a roomful of liars, who do you trust?
Old 03-14-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

everyone is questioning how jin could separate from sun and stay on the island, but no one has mentioned jin's conversation with bernard, which was pretty much about the same thing (brenard being separated from rose). i think there's a pretty big tie there..
Old 03-14-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whoa... wait a minute. You've gone off the deep end, buddy.
Pun intended?

Now if he planted evidence AFTER to make the survivors "vanish" that is another story. Not sure how Ben could manage that post-crash considering as everyone has stated that he's been quite busy as a captive by the survivors, undergoing serious back surgery, etc.

As far as "Smokey", we have seen pieces of the wrecked plane multiple times since the crash on the island.

Are we still following the original concept that everything that happens on the island can be explained by science?
Well exactly. He planted this AFTER the crash obviously.

As for Ben's abilities, how did he know that Faraday and what's-her-name were going to decommission his gas trap? How did Ben communicate with Juliet that he wanted them stopped? And how did he do all this while imprisoned by Locke? He obviously has resources at his disposal we know very little about. And Smokey/Jacob is obviously a big part of this.

And after season one, I don't recall ever seeing the wreckage on the beach except in a flashback.

And believe me, you're preaching to the choir when you bring up this show's "explained by science" canard.
Old 03-14-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And what would Widmore say himself?

In a roomful of liars, who do you trust?
Point taken. But it seems to me it's far more logical for Ben to do this than Widmore. Ben is obviously motivated to keep the island hidden by having the world think 815 crashed in the ocean and thus providing closure to that mystery. Why would Widmore go to all this trouble and expense?
Old 03-14-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No.
Care to elaborate?

Fact: the plane crashed on 9/22/2004

Fact: Normal human gestation is approximately 9 months or 37-38 weeks.

Fact: Juliet *told* Sun that conception occurred on the island. If this is true, and we have no reason not to believe it based on Juliet's concern for Sun & the baby, then we know that she is giving birth to Ji Yeon no sometime in mid-late 2005 (unless island time is drastically different from island real-world time and we we believe they are near-in-line based on Desmond's call to Penny on 12/24/2004).

Fact: Jin's tombstone said he died on 9/22/2004 - therefore the official line from Sun cannot include him as the biological father otherwise her gestation is upwards of 11 months and sure to raise an eyebrow or two.

Conclusion: Sun must be giving the name of someone else as the biological father of Ji Yeon in the real world, that is, if anyone cared to ask and I'm sure they would. After all, as far as the real world is concerned, it has to be one of the O6, right?

Last edited by pinata242; 03-14-08 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally Posted by mkdevo
everyone is questioning how jin could separate from sun and stay on the island, but no one has mentioned jin's conversation with bernard, which was pretty much about the same thing (brenard being separated from rose). i think there's a pretty big tie there..
Wait... so Bernard is #6? ? ? ?

Old 03-14-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Care to elaborate?

Fact: the plane crashed on 9/22/2004

Fact: Normal human gestation is approximately 9 months or 37-38 weeks.

Fact: Juliet *told* Sun that conception occurred on the island. If this is true, and we have no reason not to believe it based on Juliet's concern for Sun & the baby, then we know that she is giving birth to Ji Yeon no sometime in mid-late 2005 (unless island time is drastically different from island time and we we believe they are near-in-line based on Desmond's call to Penny on 12/24/2004).

Fact: Jin's tombstone said he died on 9/22/2004 - therefore the official line from Sun cannot include him as the biological father otherwise her gestation is upwards of 11 months and sure to raise an eyebrow or two.

Conclusion: Sun must be giving the name of someone else as the biological father of Ji Yeon in the real world, that is, if anyone cared to ask and I'm sure they would. After all, as far as the real world is concerned, it has to be one of the O6, right?
Good job on the explanation and timeline, a very good point you raise there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.