TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

New Amsterdam (FOX) --- Series Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 04:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
I bet if they would change the title to "Old New York," people would just like it better that way.
egggcellent.
Old 01-10-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched the pilot a little while ago and was not impressed, either in the fantasy department or as a police procedural. It seemed like a cross between Highlander and Life, with the supernatural part just there to make him a more interesting character. Unfortunately both of those shows did/are doing it better.
Old 03-04-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
New Amsterdam---"Pilot/Golden Boy"---3/4/08 and 3/6/08

Photobucket

This thread is for the 2 episodes that air this week. Tuesday at 9pm and Thursday at 9pm

There is only 8 episodes total!

What this show is about:

Spoiler:

NEW AMSTERDAM centers on a brilliant and enigmatic New York homicide detective unlike any other. And he has a profound secret -- he is immortal.

In 1642, JOHN AMSTERDAM (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), then a Dutch solider in the colony of New Amsterdam – later to become New York City -- stepped in front of a sword to save the life of a Native American girl during a massacre of her indigenous tribe. The girl in turn rescued Amsterdam, weaving an ancient spell that conferred immortality upon him. Amsterdam will not age, she told him, until he finds his one true love. Only then will he become whole and ready for mortality.

Amsterdam has found this to be a mixed blessing. Over the course of three centuries, he's experienced endless adventure and honed his many talents. But everyone Amsterdam meets must leave him in time; friends, lovers and children grow old and eventually die, while he remains young. The exhilaration of eternal life has given way to emotional isolation and loneliness; the blessing has become a curse. His sole confidant and current lifelong friend is the sage jazz club owner OMAR (Stephen Henderson), the keeper of Amsterdam's secret, as well as a few of his own.

Having witnessed its entire history from colonial outpost to mega-metropolis, John Amsterdam is the living embodiment of New York City. He and the island of Manhattan are joined -- part and parcel. Bringing to bear the unorthodox techniques and unique knowledge gained from his vast life experience, Amsterdam today is one of the NYPD's best homicide detectives, sparring with his vibrant, strong-willed partner EVA MARQUEZ (Zuleikha Robinson) as they solve difficult murder cases.

But when Amsterdam suffers and then recovers what appears to be a massive heart attack while chasing a suspect, and DR. SARA DILLANE (Alexie Gilmore) pronounces him dead in the ER, he realizes that the prophesy may have come true -- he felt the pain in his heart foretold so long ago. His soul mate must have been nearby. As he works to bring closure to the lives of others, Amsterdam also seeks closure of his own.

Synopsis for Pilot

Spoiler:

Debut: He has been immortal since he saved an Indian girl in 17th-century New Amsterdam, but it's a curse to present-day NYPD detective John Amsterdam (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) since it comes with a condition: He can't die, but he can't love, either. In the opener, the case of a murdered socialite leads Amsterdam back to his past.

Old 03-04-08, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I've been looking forward to this! I was disappointed when it got the push in that fall, but that may have been a good thing with the strike. And I don't care if it's Highlanderesque - Jazz owner and all!
Old 03-04-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm looking forward to seeing how inflated the ratings will be for tonight's and Thursday's episodes since they follow AI.

I think without a lead like AI, this would probably get 5-6M viewers tops since there are no "name" stars on this show.
Old 03-04-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not bad. Its like Highlander with a badge instead of a sword.

I like how he gave up naming dogs and just calls them by number.
Old 03-04-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, didn't love it. I liked the main character but didn't care much about anyone else. So the main plot of this show is that this guy won't die unless he finds his true love? didn't feel any different than any other detective show to me. And big deal he can't die...either can Jack Beuer. Maybe I'll give it another shot next week. Anyone know who sung the song at the end of the episode? Sounded like the Postal Service.
Old 03-04-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the whole "the one" thing was a bit tacked-on.
Old 03-04-08, 09:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Its guaranteed to be canceled...but I'll watch it. Wasn't this filmed/finished well over a year ago?
Old 03-04-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk God

They shut down production in November. The pilot was filmed well over a year ago and was re-tooled.
Old 03-04-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's weird how ugly his partner can look when she's having a bad hair day.
Old 03-04-08, 10:56 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by firteen88
Anyone know who sung the song at the end of the episode? Sounded like the Postal Service.
Almost correct... it was Death Cab for Cutie.

I was underwhelmed with the pilot. Nothing about it made me want to tune in again.
Old 03-04-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hot lead but I don't think I will be tuning in again. It was good as, say, Journeyman.
Old 03-05-08, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh.

It's like Angel except without all that interesting vampire stuff.

Not sure where the conflict is. He can't die, he has one true love out there, just needs to find her (again), which should be easy to do with those high-tech security cameras that captures the face of every one who gets off the subway in high-def. Seems like an ideal plot for a 2 hour movie.

Last edited by Jadzia; 03-05-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
It's like Angel except without all that interesting vampire stuff.
yeah I was thinking the same thing when it was over..

Not really a bad show over all but with no risk of death or anything after him the -live forever- thing is just being used to explain why he knows a lot about one city..

I guess they can do some flashbacks etc but the theme is just too Highlander/Angel like but with out random butt kicking..

Might as well done some cheesy spin off of highlander and called it: "Highlander: The Pacifist Years" with some voice over about how he did not pick up his sword for 200 years and just looked for love and blah blah blah.. Every ep could have "I WILL NOT FIGHT YOU!!!" as highlander gets coffee, highlander builds a desk, highlander walks his dog and so on..
Old 03-05-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I stayed awake through the whole thing, so it has that going for it.
Old 03-05-08, 08:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Meh!

Dislikes: Typical "I don't need a partner" cop crap. Spanish/edgy/young/female partner. Love story?? come on. HD subway cameras at every possible angles and CSI type enhancements

He should be a loner cop - and focus on flashbacks / playboy lifestyle.

I think it is DOA if it has not been retooled from pilot episode
Old 03-05-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it just me, or is the lead character the only one of the cast that actually looks like a TV star? The rest of the cast look like extras.

Maybe he hasn't found his true love yet because she is just so plain. Hardly stands out in a crowd.
Old 03-05-08, 10:43 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you could live forever - do you think your haircut would be so hip and trendy?

I've been rocking the same hair cut for about 15 years, fade on the sides longer on top.

I never went to a Cesar, blow out etc... and my clothing style stays somewhat constant (don't get into tight shirts, long shorts that go past my knees)

Overall: I think it would be interesting if he was a young guy who was kind of a bit out of date.. cloths and hair wise... Once you live 2-3 lifetimes I think vanity goes out the window.
Old 03-05-08, 11:56 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
I stayed awake through the whole thing, so it has that going for it.

You beat me I fell asleep...
Old 03-05-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
It's weird how ugly his partner can look when she's having a bad hair day.
She made me want the Lone Gunmen to show up.
Old 03-05-08, 04:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I kind of had high hopes for this show, although I don't know why. It's an interesting premise, but I guess there's not much to do with it, other than have him say stuff like "this used to be a speakeasy" or have old people say "Hey! You look just like my old buddy...", it turns out to be a pretty standard cop show as someone else said. I also thought the partner was not a good actress (and not hot enough for that to be acceptable ).
I don't think I'll watch again, but who knows.
Old 03-05-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I actually kind of liked it. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has alot of charm as the lead, although I've never heard of him prior to this show. It's pretty obvious that he is trying to cover his Danish accent....you can still hear bits of it in his dialogue. I agree with an earlier post that this has a very Highlander-like quality.

The scenes that really fascinated me involved Amsterdam's past life, which I hope they will go into more on Thursday.

The whole premise of the show is him finding his soul mate, but they aren't hiding it too well since the Doctor is probably the one.
Old 03-05-08, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was laughing when the camera captured "GRAN" on the wall of the subway station. Why go to all the trouble of redressing Grand Central as 137th St? Not to mention it would have made a lot more sense for all those white people to be getting off there.
Old 03-05-08, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I too had high hopes for this (since last summer). However, I felt rather underwhelmed throughout most of the episode. To it's credit though, it felt much stronger in the last 10-15 minutes. At that point it felt a lot more polished. The DCFC song at the end help I think.

I thought the lead did a good job, and I actually thought the doctor and his boss were the better supporting actors. The scene where the old lady came out front was rather moving, like there was so much unspoken on his part.

I've heard that the second episode is a lot better, so I'm looking forward to seeing that. Unfortunately, I fear this will be finished after it's initla run - just like everything else on Fox.

Speaking of which, did anybody else keep wondering throughout the episode how this would have been with Nathan Fillion as the lead?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.