Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire - "-30-" - 03/09/08 (SERIES FINALE)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire - "-30-" - 03/09/08 (SERIES FINALE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 03:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
The Alan Sepinwall Blog was great, I remember reading his NYPD recaps..

He brings up that Kennard was the kid back in Season 3 who was 'playing omar' today.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ksUNm6TZ1rQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 03-10-08, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The final episode of the final and worst season of the best TV series ever was fantastic. I echo the previous poster's sick feeling that last half hour just knowing it was gonna end soon.

"Marlo's last stand" was a definite self-reaffirmation moment, but I felt it was left somewhat open. I took it as "I'm out of the game now but boy that felt great - I may have to do this every once in a while to feel alive again." He obviously gave up the crown as evidenced by Slim Charles' meet with The Greeks, and it's completely implausable for him to go and be a corner boy after all that.

The Cheese fell alone. Omar would've loved that.

Loved McNulty getting 1 last chance to ask "The fuck did I do?".

I would've liked to have seen Kema ostracized for being a rat at least a little bit, but I can live without it.

I loved everything about this finale except for 1 thing:

NO AVON!?!?!?!?! WTF?

So now that's that. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Old 03-10-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
"Marlo's last stand" was a definite self-reaffirmation moment, but I felt it was left somewhat open. I took it as "I'm out of the game now but boy that felt great - I may have to do this every once in a while to feel alive again." He obviously gave up the crown as evidenced by Slim Charles' meet with The Greeks, and it's completely implausable for him to go and be a corner boy after all that.
In the montage didn't they show him running a corner? I think he realized that he missed the "hands on" aspect that he had when he was building his empire. I don't know if the ultimate point was that he was going to rebuild or if we were meant to think that he would be content with just running that corner but it showed that he was definitely not out of the game.
Old 03-10-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

David Simon and co-producer Ed Burns on NPR today for a post finale interview.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=88039740
Old 03-10-08, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber
In the montage didn't they show him running a corner? I think he realized that he missed the "hands on" aspect that he had when he was building his empire. I don't know if the ultimate point was that he was going to rebuild or if we were meant to think that he would be content with just running that corner but it showed that he was definitely not out of the game.
No, Marlo wasn't in the montage. The last we see him is after he gets cut.
Old 03-10-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwbmis
No, Marlo wasn't in the montage. The last we see him is after he gets cut.
Are you sure? I could've sworn I saw him in a white t-shirt on the corner with a few other boys.
Old 03-10-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Are you sure? I could've sworn I saw him in a white t-shirt on the corner with a few other boys.

That's what I thought as well but I also thought Micheal killed Boodie so what do I know.
Old 03-10-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went back and watched it again and it definitely looked like Marlo was running that corner.
Old 03-10-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Wow. Simply brilliant and phenomenal. That was probably the best finale for a series I've ever seen. Wrapped up everything nicely, but showed us that everything would keep going as they always did before. Out with the old, in with the new.
Old 03-11-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what I thought as well but I also thought Micheal killed Boodie so what do I know.
Wtf? Who killed Bodie then? I actually just saw that episode the other day and I clearly recall Michael stepping out from inbetween buildings right after Poot ran past him, walking up behind Bodie and putting one in his head, and then another for good measure after he hit the ground.
Old 03-11-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus

The creators did a nice job of bringing characters back for cameos. Would've liked to see a Bubbs/Kima scene - I always thought they had a great chemistry.
It didn't cross my mind while watching the finale, but you're right. It would have been nice if Kima could have seen the reformed Bubs. It didn't even need to be in the finale, but a few eps prior. Like maybe when Bubs gave his speech?

I don't have anything to add except to echo the thoughts of others in saying how satisfying the finale was. I thought it was going to end during McNulty's "wake", and would have been good but not great, but that extra 15 minutes really took this episode over the top. Incredible show.

I look forward to watching it again, from beginning to end, in a year or two.
Old 03-11-08, 02:54 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SexualPudding
Wtf? Who killed Bodie then? I actually just saw that episode the other day and I clearly recall Michael stepping out from inbetween buildings right after Poot ran past him, walking up behind Bodie and putting one in his head, and then another for good measure after he hit the ground.
O-Dog killed Bodie. David Simon and the actor who played Michael confirmed it on the Season 4 DVD's.
Old 03-11-08, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Went back and watched it again and it definitely looked like Marlo was running that corner.
I think the guy running that corner was the one that beat Dukie's ass after he knocked out Kenard. I think his name is Spider but I can't be sure.
Old 03-11-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
I feel like the ending with Marlo could be open for interpretation, since what I got from it is different from others on here. To me, he looked happy to know the guys on the corner didn't know who he was. It seemed almost as if he really didn't want to be involved in that life anymore, or at least the aspect of people knowing his name and that he was the kingpin of Baltimore. I thought about last episode when he was in jail and got angry after finding out Omar used his name on the streets. I initially thought his response was from worry that his street cred could be tarnished (which I'm sure is at least part of the reason if not all the reason if I'm inaccurate). But now I wonder if that anger perhaps stemmed from not wanting people to know he's at all associated with the game, let alone running it.
I think it was 100% in regards to his cred..

Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield
My name is on the street! You gonna go down on them corners and let the people know... Word did not get back to me. My NAME IS MY NAME!
Old 03-11-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
What a great finale. A work of art.
Old 03-11-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking about what to say for the past few days and am still blank... Just... amazing.

It will be missed.
Old 03-11-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by sb5
O-Dog killed Bodie. David Simon and the actor who played Michael confirmed it on the Season 4 DVD's.
That is very interesting, since they showed a close up of what looked exactly like Michael when he shot Bodie in the head the 2nd time, not to mention afterward when Chris pulled over and had Michael dump a gun into the gutter.
Old 03-11-08, 06:03 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael was shown shooting someone else in the episode; the gun he dumped was from that shooting, not Bodie.
Old 03-11-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those sneaky fuckers. I remember Chris saying he didn't want Mike's first to be someone he knew, but I thought Marlo had overruled him with one of his little glare and nods.
Old 03-11-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are the theme songs from the various seasons available?
Old 03-11-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movieking
Where are the theme songs from the various seasons available?
I think the official soundtrack has most of them.
Old 03-11-08, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I think the official soundtrack has most of them.
Actually it only has 2 or 3. It's called "All the Pieces Matter" or something like that.

I found them all on L*m*W*r*.

The title of the song is "Way Down In A Hole" and the versions were done by:
S-1. The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama (on the sdtrk)
S-2. Tom Waits
S-3. The Neville Brothers (on the sdtrk)
S-4. Domaje (on the sdtrk)
S-5. Steve Earle

I loved that the final montage used the Blind Boys' version. Nice callback to the beginning in keeping with the whole circle of life, the more things change etc. theme.
Old 03-12-08, 12:21 AM

Steve Earle is also the actor who plays Bubbles' sponsor. He is a master guitarist who most recently played in Roseann Cash's band.

As for this being the worst season. That's absurd. I thought Season Four was well written but the issue on the dilapidated schools was a bit overdone and repetitive at times. Still loved it but if I had to pick the least interesting season, it would definately be season 4. Season 3 being the best IMHO.
Old 03-12-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I'd have to rank them like this:

Old 03-12-08, 03:24 AM

I'm with SexPud

As great as the last few episodes of S5 were, there was a point there that I felt like they were reaching. The show caught it's stride back for me in the end, but no other season gave me that feeling save for S2, which didn't have as fantastic an ending as S5.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.