Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 2008 - Top 20 week 2/26/08 - 2/28/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Idol 2008 - Top 20 week 2/26/08 - 2/28/08

Didnt see a thread so I thought I would start one.

Should be an interesting night!
Old 02-26-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what will be interesting? what is the theme?
Old 02-26-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
last week = 60s

this week = 70s

next week = 80s

then we have the final 12 and the themes will be based on the guest mentor of the week
Old 02-26-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

boo to skipping the 50s
Old 02-26-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it males again or do they switch the order from the previous week?
Old 02-26-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe it's guys singing tonight.
Old 02-26-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
70s...how many Bee Gees songs do you think we're gonna hear?

If someone starts signing "How Deep Is Your Love?" I'm flipping over to the Obama/Clinton debate.
Old 02-26-08, 06:22 PM

I noticed last year that the favorites always seemed to go last more often than not, and hardly ever went first...Esp Melinda and Lakisha.

Last week I noticed BOTH Michael Johns and Carly Smithson went last.
Old 02-26-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they may simply reverse the order from last week's order for tonight's round, so Michael Johns would start out first, and ending with David Hernandez. But I could be way wrong. I think they sort of did this last season during the cut down from 24 to 20.
Old 02-26-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
I think they may simply reverse the order from last week's order for tonight's round, so Michael Johns would start out first, and ending with David Hernandez. But I could be way wrong.
You're not, this is what they're doing (as seen in the order they were introduced at the opening tonight)
Old 02-26-08, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
You're not, this is what they're doing (as seen in the order they were introduced at the opening tonight)
well, not exactly...Hernadez was 5 and another fave, Archuletta is last.
Old 02-26-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time for Castro to go...same for Noriega!
Old 02-26-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm voting for.... DANNY NORIEGA! He's pure magic, like a unicorn.
Old 02-26-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the first time they've let us see Michael Johns suck.

Jason Castro has smoked enough weed for 3 lifetimes. Puff, puff, sing.

Queen? You better be an absolute badass to try Freddie Mercury. Luke's not. At least he's a very pretty girl.

Robbie rocks about as hard as Peter Cetera. WOOO!!!

Surprised to know Danny was in a punk rock band as a kid? I'd be surprised if he weren't. Terrible song choice. He wasted a powerful voice and was "pitchy".

Did he say Grand Canyon Olympics? Never mind. He nailed the song. Nailed it.

Hey, Jason. Stop bobbing your head around like a Roxbury reject and sing into the freakin' microphone. Lazy, lazy song choice. He's my pick for the first guy to break down in tears on stage.

Chikezie. at the hot pink calculator watch. I guess you can get away with a ghastly '80s outfit on '70s night when you sing like that.

David Cook's hair is worse than Sanjaya's. I'll personally pay for him to see a stylist. At least he didn't perform in a thick wool scarf.

I don't think David Archuleta is a real human. I think the producers built him in a lab and faked that footage with Kelly Clarkson to fool us. I used to think there should be a law against singing "Imagine" on crappy shows like this, but I have to give the kid credit.

There were only 3 performances tonight worth a damn. Can we eliminate 7 of these jokers?

das
Old 02-26-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Michael Johns - thoroughly lackluster effort by Michael Johns tonight. He brought nothing original to the song, but he seemed to struggle finishing off notes, so I don't know if he's under the weather, or just couldn't bring it tonight.

Jason Castro - another so-so effort dominated by Jason's guitar strumming, and his vocals just weren't imaginative or impressive at all. A minor setback for the dreaded one.

Luke Menard - the vocals were sung in a key too high for comfortable listening, and the lack of bass in Luke's vocals make it tough to enjoy a Queen song that was performed with much more zest and fire, which Luke lacked during most of his performance tonight.

Robbie Carrico - I felt like I was watching David Spade trying his best in a karoake contest because Robbie started out okay, but the song just sort of petered out, and Robbie never sold the song with the urgency and energy that this song demands.

Danny Noriega - covering a Carperter's song requires a strong commitment to singing it a higher key than Danny did, and he went a little too slow to the point of being a bit boring and tired by the end of the song. It's almost like watching Jessica Alba's kid brother sing when I look at Danny singing at times.

David Hernandez - the evening's first good, solid performance where you got the impression he commited to the song, and went for broke, but in a controlled manner. He did have a bit of a shlisp sound here and there, but overall, he had a good night.

Jason Yeager - a manic performance in terms of head movements and poor mic technique led to improper fade-outs. Jason still doesn't really know what to do with his voice, or his style without coming across too cheesy, but he did this week.

Chikezie - a very nice rebound with a solid performance with good vocal power and control, and he had fun with with the song, and really swung for the fences and nailed it. He really sold the 70's vibe of the song, too.

David Cook - Robbie Carrico should take some notes from David because David was rocking it tonight, good throaty vocals, but the only negative thing were the thin chorus lines that fell flat, but the rest of the performance was entertaining, and sounded legit.

David Archuleta - he's got such a distinctive voice and he commands your attention, and he never lets go of it until he's finished. David hits a home run tonight compared the rest of the field tonight. Good job.

Rankings

Worth listening to again and again:
David Archuleta
David Cook
Chikezie

Worth listening to again:
David Hernandez

Once was enough:
Danny Noriega
Jason Castro
Michael Johns

Put them out of their misery, please:
Jason Yeager
Robbie Carrico
Luke Menard

I think Jason Yeager and Robbie Carrico are going home (but wouldn't be surprise if it's Jason Y, and Luke that go home).
Old 02-26-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
My wife is annoyed by David Hernandez, but she thought he did really good tonight.

Other than that - what a blah night early on.

Chikezie made up for last week's performance.
Old 02-26-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Noriega sticks around another week so he can do "Panama".

Jason Castro reminds me of Lisa Bonet's character in High Fidelity.

What did Luke Menard do with his balls? He's like a eunuch version of David Naughton. I could picture him singing "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper Too?"

Most of the rest were pretty forgettable. I know David Muffaletta has been crowned as the one to beat but I nod off every time he sings.
Old 02-26-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
If a guy wins - it will be David A.

Someone shoot Paula, please.
Old 02-26-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The one knock on David Archuleta is that he sounds too old for that pop sound demographic that AI is targetting to maximize CD sales and song downloads. But Josh Groban has carved out a nice career with soaring vocal stylings, so there is a market for Archuleta's vocals, but AI isn't the best vehicle for long term success, I'm afraid.
Old 02-26-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did Paula say something about squeezing David Archuleta's head off and hanging him from her rear view mirror? She was crying too much, I couldn't quite make that out. It was still creepy.
Old 02-26-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dreadlock boy is doing Andy Gibb. Close enough to Bee Gees. Why does he play the guitar? He doesn't seem like a very good guitar player.
Old 02-26-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I only could sit through the first half, but my father who watches AI regularly told me that David Archuleta was easily the best.
Old 02-26-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are you a vocal coach or something, Patman?
Old 02-26-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Simply a viewer who's seen way too many of these AI shows and average singers being torn apart for the enjoyment of the masses.
Old 02-26-08, 11:22 PM
Cool New Member

Found David Archuleta's performance from tonight

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XpVuogzmWhg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XpVuogzmWhg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

David Cook's performance
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6QTq2k6OAc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j6QTq2k6OAc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Danny Noriega's performance
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB4fgJY24jg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FB4fgJY24jg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by popatlaal; 02-26-08 at 11:47 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.