Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saturday Night Live (02/23/08) - H: Tina Fey M: Carrie Underwood

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was laughing pretty hard when I was watching the Oscars and they showed that "I've abandoned my boy!" scene, because I kept thinking of the SNL skit "Oh, there he is!"
Old 02-25-08, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Ugh, please. What a load of horseshit. The question should be: Should Obama be played by someone who can do a better Obama impression?

I remember this kind of crap when Hammond starting doing his Jesse Jackson thing too.
Old 02-25-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
wow, look at this paragraph from that article:

The only memorable thing about the Obama-Clinton sketch was that it proved once again that Poehler is brilliant. With her glacial grin, she got every nuance of Hillary Clinton just right -- and then a few minutes later she was laugh-out-loud funny as a wasted, one-legged contestant on a parody of VH1's "Rock of Love." Is there anything this woman can't make funny?

i didn't think armisen's obama was great or anything, but i'll never agree with whoever this chick is.

seriously? that one-legged girl was NEVER funny.

hammond does a great jesse jackson. skin color shouldn't matter.
Old 02-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Is anyone else still recovering from "Gene Simmons'" sex tape advice with "the Donald"?

< saw portions of the tape over at xcritic .
Old 02-25-08, 10:50 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dammit, I only saw the last 25 minutes of this because our NBC affiliate was showing a local high school hockey game. Grrr. At least I know it will be reaired in a few weeks/months most likely.
Old 02-25-08, 10:51 AM
Suspended

The thing right now with doing an Obama impression is... well, is there anything hilarious about him? Bill Clinton was a hornball hick who ate McDs all the time, Bush is a moron, Hillary is flighty and has that out of nowhere fake laugh of hers... but what things about Obama, right now anyway, can you latch onto for jokes? He doesn't mangle the English language... doesn't act retarded in public...
Old 02-25-08, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DRG
Dammit, I only saw the last 25 minutes of this because our NBC affiliate was showing a local high school hockey game. Grrr. At least I know it will be reaired in a few weeks/months most likely.
Most of the show is online: http://www.nbc.com/Saturday_Night_Live/
Old 02-25-08, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped paying much attention when SNL stopped booking talented musicial guests and started going for commercial pop crap.They use to book people like The Jam,Captain Beefheart,Elvis Costello.The Pretenders etc.Now all we get are tween pop,Idol winners.(ok-1 or 2 exceptions a year).
Old 02-25-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Live! From Alexandria! It's CASEY ROSE WILSON, the new girl from SNL:

http://www.alextimes.com/article.asp?article=8767
Old 02-25-08, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
The thing right now with doing an Obama impression is... well, is there anything hilarious about him? Bill Clinton was a hornball hick who ate McDs all the time, Bush is a moron, Hillary is flighty and has that out of nowhere fake laugh of hers... but what things about Obama, right now anyway, can you latch onto for jokes? He doesn't mangle the English language... doesn't act retarded in public...
Well, I pretty much agree with you, but I also agree with this, from that article:

"But the opening sketch felt a little flat to me, and the forced, stilted nature of Armisen's Obama was part of the reason for that."

I think Armisen nailed what little of Obama there is to caricature, and that's his very careful speech pattern. Lately, he's been getting a little more fluid with his public speaking, but I felt that early on he sounded very forced and stilted.

Also, I didn't find the new girl to be funny at all and am surprised at how many sketches she appeared in. Normally new cast members are relegated to crowd filler for the first few episodes.
Old 02-25-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only memorable thing about the Obama-Clinton sketch was that it proved once again that Poehler is brilliant. With her glacial grin, she got every nuance of Hillary Clinton just right -- and then a few minutes later she was laugh-out-loud funny as a wasted, one-legged contestant on a parody of VH1's "Rock of Love." Is there anything this woman can't make funny?
SNL?
Old 02-25-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the best way to play Obama would be the "booming voice, calling for hope and change" version that we get. Maybe stick that version of him in every day situations?

For us long time SNL fans, how about an updated version of this "commercial" featuring Obama?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8nU-q5YPRQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m8nU-q5YPRQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

There's plenty that you could do with this guy.
Old 02-25-08, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...politics&tsp=1

Even though Mike Huckabee is still battling for the Republican presidential nomination despite long odds, he said Saturday he won't "overstay his welcome."

Then he did precisely that, lingering on the "Weekend Update" set of "Saturday Night Live" despite repeated cues to leave the stage.

The former Arkansas governor appeared in a "Weekend Update" segment in which he described his confusion over whether it is mathematically impossible for him to win the nomination over front-runner John McCain. After anchorman Seth Meyers explained the numbers, Huckabee responded: "I'm not a math guy, I'm more of a miracle guy. So at this point I'm gonna focus on the miracle part."

However, he said: "Mike Huckabee does not overstay his welcome. When it's time for me to go, I'll know. And I'll exit out with class and grace."

Then he remained seated at the "Update" desk even though Meyers made it clear it was time for him to leave.
How can these people not get the joke?
Old 02-25-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I lol'd heartily at the sudden "HI GRANDPA!!"

Rest of the show mostly sucked.

The game show was atrocious.
Old 02-25-08, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lastyear
I stopped paying much attention when SNL stopped booking talented musicial guests and started going for commercial pop crap.They use to book people like The Jam,Captain Beefheart,Elvis Costello.The Pretenders etc.Now all we get are tween pop,Idol winners.(ok-1 or 2 exceptions a year).
One of those exceptions will be occurring this Saturday, methinks. . .
Old 02-25-08, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
not sure why, but i love keenan's Charles Barkley...
Better than Frank Caliendo's?

Keenan's was turrrrible.
Old 02-25-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
I lol'd heartily at the sudden "HI GRANDPA!!"
My big LOL was for "That's not your phone, Grandpa!"
Old 02-25-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jjcool
Who played Obamagirl during the opening?
Amber Lee Ettinger.
Old 02-25-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Armisen's Obama. Brouhaha over nothing. The guy can play a lot of minorities well. It's still better than Hammond in blackface or brownface. BTW, how long are they going to keep Hammond. He's the longest cast member ever on SNL.
Old 02-25-08, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by GuessWho
My big LOL was for "That's not your phone, Grandpa!"
I ed at that. Best joke of the night.
Old 02-25-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger
Amber Lee Ettinger.
Here's an article on her. Looks like she only was a special guest and won't be back. Drat.
http://www.standardspeaker.com/index...=6885&Itemid=2
Old 02-25-08, 09:29 PM

Not a bad show
Old 02-26-08, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger
Here's an article on her. Looks like she only was a special guest and won't be back. Drat.
http://www.standardspeaker.com/index...=6885&Itemid=2
For those who care, this must be her on youtube:

Old 02-26-08, 06:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by big whoppa
I liked Armisen's Obama. Brouhaha over nothing. The guy can play a lot of minorities well. It's still better than Hammond in blackface or brownface. BTW, how long are they going to keep Hammond. He's the longest cast member ever on SNL.
If Hillary wins he'll be on forever.
Old 02-26-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really liked Tina Fey's endorsement of Hillary. Bitches get things done!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.