Reload this Page >

What is the point of TBS HD?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-19-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after the MLB playoffs, have they ever shown anything in HD?
Old 02-19-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
after the MLB playoffs, have they ever shown anything in HD?
Movies?
Old 02-19-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Movies?
really? it seems like everything they air is stretch-o-vision.
Old 02-19-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To mock us...
Old 02-19-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being in Canada I didn't know TBS had an HD channel but (sort of related) I don't get why there's CNN HD. I don't even watch regular CNN because of that damn ticker which isn't the best thing for a Plasma. During these election primaries, CNN HD looks like a complex video game screen, so they do take advantage of the wider frame but of course it's all still there faintly when you change the channel!
Old 02-19-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
To mock us...
This. TBS HD is a complete waste of space. I wish my cable company would replace it with something that actually broadcasts things in HD instead of just stretching SD content to fit the screen. There are several hundreds of Discovery HD channels that could be using that space to much better effect.
Old 02-19-08, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah so none of the movies are in HD? I thought Turner and Hooch looked funny the other week....
Old 02-20-08, 06:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Aside from maybe a few things, A&E-HD is the same way.
Old 02-20-08, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Is there any point in transmitting SD content over an HD signal? TV Land for example.
Old 02-20-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rw2516
Is there any point in transmitting SD content over an HD signal? TV Land for example.
So Joe Sixpack doesn't call bitching that his HD channels (for which he is paying extra) aren't filling his new HDTV, of course.
Old 02-20-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
So Joe Sixpack doesn't call bitching that his HD channels (for which he is paying extra) aren't filling his new HDTV, of course.
Doesn't the channel have to transmit an HD signal to the cable/satellite company which they in turn re-transmit to the subscibers? What I mean is, is it worthwhile for channels like TV Land to transmit their signal in HD to the able/satellite companies?
Old 02-20-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think TNT HD also does this stretch crap. What a bunch of idiots running those channels.
Old 02-20-08, 10:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I think TNT HD also does this stretch crap. What a bunch of idiots running those channels.
TNT has gotten MUCH better about not doing that. They only stretch about 15-20% of the time now.
Old 02-20-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
TNT has gotten MUCH better about not doing that. They only stretch about 15-20% of the time now.
I'll take your word for it. Still seems like every other time I flip past it, it's all stretched or not HD at all. Maybe it's the time of day.
Old 02-20-08, 12:25 PM
wiz

We don't get TBS HD anymore here in ATlanta...now we have Peacthree TV in HD and TBS is just analog again...
Old 02-20-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Being in Canada I didn't know TBS had an HD channel but (sort of related) I don't get why there's CNN HD. I don't even watch regular CNN because of that damn ticker which isn't the best thing for a Plasma. During these election primaries, CNN HD looks like a complex video game screen, so they do take advantage of the wider frame but of course it's all still there faintly when you change the channel!

LCD, bitches

-Doc
Old 02-20-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TBS = Baseball

TNT original programming is in HD.

All other programming is SD.
Old 02-20-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ayre
TBS = Baseball

TNT original programming is in HD.

All other programming is SD.

Law and/or Order is in HD and isn't stretched on TNT. I rarely see stretched content on TNT HD. TBS seems all stretched as does A&E which sucks since they've been playing the Godfather a lot lately and it's unwatchable when stretched.
Old 02-20-08, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
yeah that was a plus when I bought my plasma, all the sd channels look just as good if not better on comcast box than regular sdtv. no need to worry about trying to adjust antenna. when I used my over the air antenna my hdtv channels came in beautiful but standard sucked till I got my comcast box. now they all look great.
Old 02-20-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
Law and/or Order is in HD and isn't stretched on TNT. I rarely see stretched content on TNT HD. TBS seems all stretched as does A&E which sucks since they've been playing the Godfather a lot lately and it's unwatchable when stretched.
Not sure how I could have forgotten L&O. In our area (NE Ohio) TBSHD was specifically brought on board before baseball playoff started. TBS had bought a large share of the first couple rounds. Isn't My Boys HD?

I am afraid if I watch any more TBSHD my TV will get stretch marks.
Old 02-20-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wiz
We don't get TBS HD anymore here in ATlanta...now we have Peacthree TV in HD and TBS is just analog again...
That's because TBS finally became completely a satellite station in October 2007 and so WTBS (the Atlanta broadcast version of TBS) was no more (replaced by Peachtree TV).

So, in Atlanta, we finally get the satellite version of TBS on cable (it was always the local version before, though only seldom different in programming) and we get a new local "independent" channel as well. (A win-win, IMO, unless one doesn't have cable or satellite service.)
Old 02-21-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
Not sure how I could have forgotten L&O. In our area (NE Ohio) TBSHD was specifically brought on board before baseball playoff started. TBS had bought a large share of the first couple rounds. Isn't My Boys HD?

I am afraid if I watch any more TBSHD my TV will get stretch marks.
Has My Boys even aired since TBS launched their HD feed?

Beginning in April, TBS has Sunday afternoon MLB games every week, so at least SOMETHING will be in HD for six months.
Old 02-22-08, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

TBS HD launched Sept 1 and My Boys last episode was Sept 10. So maybe 3 episodes (2 back to back on Sept 10).
Old 02-22-08, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stretch-O-Vision, oh how I hate thee. And there's not even really any way to correct it, because usually it's that jacked up version where everything is fat on the outer edges and really skinny in the middle...
Old 02-22-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TBS pisses me off but TNTHD has gotten btter.... movies and law and order are in HD

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.